Sponsored by:

Big Blue Drying Towel (BBDT)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 02:13 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Water blade, big blue waffle weave towel from Autopia. I too use the yellow costco mf towels for waxing (wipe off - sonus applicator for on), cleaning door jambs, engine lid, door sills.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:26 AM
joolsbourne
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used the blades for a long time and never had any problems.
I then finish off with a chamois. Is the waffle better than a chamois?
Old 01-14-2005, 09:58 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by joolsbourne
I've used the blades for a long time and never had any problems.
I then finish off with a chamois. Is the waffle better than a chamois?
MUCH better. A quality waffleweave if far softer and the technology is much more advanced. There are hundreds of "pockets" which scoop up the water. (hence the waffle texture) and the microfiber weave within that is comprised of thread many times finer than human hair, woven in patterns with threads per inch in the thousands. This creates a resilient fabric that won't compress debris into the paint causing scratches and swirls. It also pulls debris into the fabric rather than having them ride on top where they can scratch more easily.

Newer synthetic chamois' are only good for initial water pickup and then only if you "lay on and pick up". Don't drag them.

California Water Blades do work well. The risk you take is being sure you NEVER get even the most minute debris in the blade. It will scratch. I have one. I use it on my neighbors car.

A word of caution about leaf blowers. Be sure you have the proper filters in place and be sure they are clean. I have seen two instances where a small piece of debris (on one occasion a tiny piece of tree bark) caused serious paint damage when hurled at the car at 100+ mph.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:13 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
Hi Eric,
Isn't the point of using microfiber towels is that they pick up everything? Nothing beats them for dusting or cleaning the interior. Where are you getting wood slivers--cleaning Pinnochio?
Lol, I have no idea how, but they ALWAYS manage to pick up wood slivers. Plus lots of other junk. Anyway, the point is this: there's GOOD microfiber and there's NOT AS GOOD microfiber. The waffle weave doesn't pick up junk, and even when it does, it comes clean in the wash unlike the Costco stuff. I wish I hadn't bought the Costco stuff, so I could justify buying a bunch of the waffle weaves from Target (p.s. the Target towels passed the "CD test" with flying colors).
Old 01-14-2005, 12:42 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I use a leaf blower. Than for little water left over dry with soft cotton towel.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:03 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

My Waterblade is sitting next to my Chia pet and Rubik's cube. Well, not exactly, but you get my point. Waterblade is fine if you have a (older) Volvo with slab sides. Doesn't work as well on the 993's curves.

I swear by the waffle blue cloth and have two. One is sufficient for the entire car but two allows you to really completely dry it!
Old 01-14-2005, 02:09 PM
hawk993
Racer

I invite a bunch of the Hooters girls over, have them put on bath towels and rub all over my car!

Old 01-14-2005, 03:11 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
...[California Water Blades... It will scratch. I have one. I use it on my neighbors car.

A word of caution about leaf blowers. Be sure you have the proper filters in place and be sure they are clean. I have seen two instances where a small piece of debris (on one occasion a tiny piece of tree bark) caused serious paint damage when hurled at the car at 100+ mph.
thx... only use it on the car. there we go on the wood thing again...

cheers.

btw: i do have a hooters gift-card in the p-car... lifeisgood.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:43 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About a year ago, I bought a bunch of synthetic chamois at the LA County Fair in Pomona. The "nice man" gave me a "but fer you" deal of $20(?) for 6 large orange ones and four smaller blue ones. Hey, printed right on them is "MADE IN GERMANY 100% RAYON," so they have to be good, right? Wrong. While they may be very absorbent, they dry with streaks and dots, which I hate. I even allowed for the "break-in" period. No improvement. I now believe that these are marketed as Shamwow. They sure are packaged the same way!

https://www.shamwow.com/ver8/index.asp

So I'm going to try waffle micro fiber.

Originally Posted by BobbyT
I've used Blu-Maxx Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel, 36 X 25 $19.20 each from Car Care Specialties, as well as the ones from Griot's. The Blu-Maxx are a bit thinner, and don't absorb quite as well as the Griot's. Griot's have a section folded back on each end to form a hand pocket, which I'm luke warm about, and they are about $25 each.
Originally Posted by BradB
I have several of these towels and swear by them. Softer than the Big Blue Towel. Better value than Griots. And superior to many others I have tried at any price.

Sonus Ultimate
Originally Posted by Father of 3
Water blade, big blue waffle weave towel from Autopia. I too use the yellow costco mf towels for waxing (wipe off - sonus applicator for on), cleaning door jambs, engine lid, door sills.
I'm rejecting Griot's due to price, so we've got Blu-Maxx (1), Sonus (2), and Big Blue III (3). Since they're a sponsor, I'd also like to add the Uber Jumbo (4) into the mix:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/index...PROD&ProdID=55

All prices are around $25 for 2. Big Blue and Blu-Maxx both measure 24" x 36." I wonder if they're the same? Both Sonus and Big Blue tout "30% Polyamide," so that may be a good thing. I'm leaning toward the "smaller" 24" x 30" Sonus.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:52 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Is this any good?
Or is this Garbage?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Grit-...1%7C240%3A1318

Which brand do you all recommend?
Old 06-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on Leaf Blower
Old 06-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DJD
I use the microfiber towels also, but before I use a shop vac blower section to blow dry the car and almost all the water is gone. Less contact with the paint the better.

I bought an inexpensive TroyBuilt leaf blower and that is only used for the car (so no dirt or dust blasting the paint). Works great to get water out of the tight spaces and brakes. A quick "blow dry" then waffle microfiber and finish with Speed Shine from Griots.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

SHAMWOW = BLOWS Worst drying product I have ever used

Mike
Old 06-03-2009, 03:21 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

leaf blower and electric not the gas powered one. No gas left of finish. I used to use the absorber and alot faster with the electric leaf blower.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang, I came here to post a smart-*** shamwow comment but its already been thrown out!

Anyway.

Let the hose do the work for you. Sheet the water off (yeah, you need wax on it for this to work), then use the compressor to blow out around tail lights, deck lid grille, marker lights, and sunroof felt, finish by a pat dry with a waffle weave microfiber. Oh, and don't forget the door jambs and trunk/hood jambs! You can always tell a clean freak by looking at their door jambs

I found a WW microfiber towel at Advanced that was actually better quality than the one I ordered from AutoGeek when I got my Porter Cable.

Also, make SURE you use the two-bucket method when washing, and clean the wash mitt after every panel.

The WATER BLADE WILL SCRATCH too! Just look at my Subaru...

Quick Reply: Big Blue Drying Towel (BBDT)