Sponsored by:

Big Blue Drying Towel (BBDT)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Konrad
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Blue Drying Towel (BBDT)

What is your preferred drying towel, especially those with black cars?
I'm looking at the BBDT and the microfiber towel from Griot's. Avoiding swirl marks is my first priority; absorption is of secondary importance.

Thanks for your input,

Konrad
Old 01-13-2005, 08:31 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I use large waffle microfiber towels........far cheaper on ebay . Look for 3M brand.

Old 01-13-2005, 08:41 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too use large size waffle weave microfiber. I rinse with a hose w/o the nozzle which sheets off most of the water. I then lay the mf on the car to absorb the water on the big panels. 2 mf towels do the entire car.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:48 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Where do you get these things?
Old 01-13-2005, 08:59 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
I too use large size waffle weave microfiber. I rinse with a hose w/o the nozzle which sheets off most of the water. I then lay the mf on the car to absorb the water on the big panels. 2 mf towels do the entire car.
Exactly, to the 'tee' as Dan says
Old 01-13-2005, 09:04 PM
joolsbourne
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this them?
Ebay towels
Old 01-13-2005, 09:54 PM
DJD
Instructor

I use the microfiber towels also, but before I use a shop vac blower section to blow dry the car and almost all the water is gone. Less contact with the paint the better.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:01 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I've used Blu-Maxx Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel, 36 X 25 $19.20 each from Car Care Specialties, as well as the ones from Griot's. The Blu-Maxx are a bit thinner, and don't absorb quite as well as the Griot's. Griot's have a section folded back on each end to form a hand pocket, which I'm luke warm about, and they are about $25 each. Costco has packages of ten or so smaller microfiber towels for $12 or so, which are nice for detailing.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:21 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I have several of these towels and swear by them. Softer than the Big Blue Towel. Better value than Griots. And superior to many others I have tried at any price.

Sonus Ultimate

They also make it in a smaller size which is perfect for door jams, trunks, etc.

Follow the link and when you check out use the code "ABC". You will save 10 to 15% on your total purchase.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:34 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm totally sold on microfiber. If you doubt it, just rub one against a compact disc, then do the same with a cotton towel and notice all the scratches.

I just discovered that Target is selling MF waffle towels in 16" x 28" for under $5!! That's really quite a bargain. I've also bought the Costco MF and I can't recommend enough AGAINST them. Every time you go to use one, you find slivers of wood or other contaminents that get stuck in the fibers. They pick up EVERYTHING and are a total bit** to clean. You have to inspect and pick at each one every time you want to use it. Grrr.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:36 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i use the big 'griot's' version... has pockets fer yer hands too. i do the 'hose' sheet-off thing too. an electric 'leaf blower' works wonders too... w/ that ya barely have to dry @ all. remember, rubbin' scratches

funny. i use the yellow 'costco' ones for waxing etc (i change freq. though)... don't have any probs w/ lint, etc... though you must wash them only w/ each other & not w/ cotton or any other material or they will pick everything up.... btw: works great as a duster for the dash & interior too. oh... i never use 'softener' as it get all over the car finish leaving a cloudy finish.

my $00.02
Old 01-14-2005, 12:36 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Eric,
Isn't the point of using microfiber towels is that they pick up everything? Nothing beats them for dusting or cleaning the interior. Where are you getting wood slivers--cleaning Pinnochio?
Old 01-14-2005, 12:40 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Wash....California Water Blade (what an invention!!)....Waffle microfiber
Old 01-14-2005, 12:45 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
Where are you getting wood slivers--cleaning Pinnochio?
ha ha hah.... errr you said wood. haha haha haha haha.

(sorry, best 'bevis&butthead' i can do)
Old 01-14-2005, 01:28 AM
Midnight C4S
Pro

I've always wondered about the waterblade, seems almost too inventive, does it really work that well Peter? And I never thought of leaf blowers either. I could just see us all washing our cars at a big lawn somewhere with our SO's giggling and pointing.

My girlfriend just asked me to do something Friday afternoon as I'm off and I said well I'm waxing two cars tomorrow afternoon, how long has it been since you waxed yours? She then said that she brings hers to a brushless car wash doesn't that put wax on it? It's like me talking about lipstick, I know what it looks like but I wouldn't ever actually put it on.

Just bought a friends (female) 2002 Acura TL"S'" (liked the S part) and washed it for the first time yesterday. Water clung to it like ugly on a mule. Called up my friend who was worried that I might not baby it enough, it being lower priorty than the 993 (true) and I asked her in the 2 plus years you've owned it how often have you waxed your "baby". Her nickname for the car. Answer, "never". As in 45,000 miles 2 plus years and "never". Yeah you really babied it alright.

Quick Reply: Big Blue Drying Towel (BBDT)