Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures RS Splitter install (Santa dropped by this morning)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 03:22 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool Pictures RS Splitter install (Santa dropped by this morning)

Santa dropped MA Shaw's Euro Splitters this morning. I guess he knows I've been good and nice this year

Fitting it this afternoon and on to the paint shop when it gets warmer!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 12-22-2004 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:47 PM
Racer944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Mike, they look great so far!

Looking forward to hearing about how much work is needed to get them fitting nicely on the car. The parts look like they are very well made, so they may bolt right on with a minimum of sanding/prep work of the fiberglass...

Cheers;
Eric
Old 12-20-2004, 04:14 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow please let us know how they fit. look great btw. will look super on your car. (heard nothing but good things about the elves @ 'ma shaw')

@ least someone was nice this year!...
me? h eh h eh ... may get some coal this year...

but please santa! no carbon buildup!

Last edited by 24FPS; 12-21-2004 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:07 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Thanks guys. After filing down the locking tabs, here is the fit. I left them about 2mm thicker than the original just to lock them in there tight. I'll paint them tomorrow. ..more pix to come..
Attached Images       
Old 12-20-2004, 10:13 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Mike,
They look great! Nice touch to make the lock and stay put! How much did they cost?
Thanks for posting pix.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:13 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, Santa sure is early. Guess he needs time to work his way across the U.S. and get to Hawaii by the 25th. Ever consider not painting them??? Looks kind of cool in black on your car.

j/k.. Nice prep work... enjoy, Mike... hope it comes out looking super.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:50 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thumbs up

Mr Bock, Thanks. We got them from the group buy by a lot of the guys here in Rennlist from MA Shaw about 2 months ago, organized by Kelly above. Here's the link https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/169704-group-buy-mashaw-rs-wing-and-splitters.html

Kelly, Thanks man. Just finished fitting them. The right hand side has a little bit of gap from the aft side of ther bumper, but it's very minimal. I will paint them tomorrow morning, or should I leave them black They should be done and installed by Wednesday. I'll surely post more pix. Hey, thanks again for organizing that GB. Did you get the rear wing?
Old 12-21-2004, 12:00 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Man I wish I had your resourcefulness!! I got my wing the day before Thanksgiving... test fitted to an extra lid I have and is in the paint shop getting prepped and ready to paint, but he says it will be at least the end of the month before he can get to it.

Just be thankful you have a nice simple color to match like solid white... he's having a bitch of a time with the polar silver.

Good luck... can hardly wait to see pics once it's completed. Don't forget!!
Old 12-22-2004, 01:03 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Kelly, If mine wasn't white, I wouldn't think I'll attemp to paint it. I went to advance auto parts with one of the old chin panels and just compared all the spray paint they have there with the OEM color shade. Luckily I found one that's real close. I'm just too excited to have them mounted quickly which is another reason I did it. It would be nice to get the real paint, maybe polyurethane(which I got a quote from colormasters $132 mixed to Grand Prix White code 908.. but again, I thought that since its just gonna take the beating, I chose to get the $5 spray paint cans (2 cans of that, 1 can of primer $4.50 and 1 can of thinner $3.50) Maybe when I get my bumper respray, I'll get them done professionally.

Here are some fitting after the painting. They're not fully dry yet, so pix of the final fit will be tomorrow.

Order of pictures:
-First light coat
-First light coat (bottom)
-OEM Chin Panel(before look)
-Euro RS Splitters(after look)
Attached Images     

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 12-22-2004 at 02:09 AM.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:40 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey, Mike... that looks great! Did you notice if they had any Polar Silver in rattle cans?

Real test is to see it in bright daylight. Hope it matches as well a it looks in the pics! Congrats on the new look.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:48 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kkim
Hey, Mike... that looks great! Did you notice if they had any Polar Silver in rattle cans?...
Old 12-22-2004, 02:20 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Red face

Originally Posted by kkim
Hey, Mike... that looks great! Did you notice if they had any Polar Silver in rattle cans?

Real test is to see it in bright daylight. Hope it matches as well a it looks in the pics! Congrats on the new look.
Hey Kelly,

They do, but the right shade will be the concern. I got lucky with mine, they had this 'Duplicolor' in 'Blue/White' no: TR-174 or other cans says 'Olympic White'.

Preparation is the key. Sanding with 200 then 320 then 400 grit to remove all irregularities on the composite. I washed ithem(splitters) with dish washing soap and rinsed thoroughly with water to remove any traces of oil and contaminants(best will be MEK, Methyl Ethyl Keytone). after a few coats, I noticed tiny crevices, tiny bubbles from the fiberglass resin right on the surface so I put some Bondo paste and re-sanded and wipe them down with thinner. During painting I had to be real careful not to stir up the dust in the the garrage. I could have hosed down the garrage but it was too late for the porsche was already on jackstands

Sorry for the rant...the answer to your question... yes they have silver, but you have to hunt down the right shade.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:18 PM
Racer944
Racer

Looking good Mike!

Questions: How did the center portions of the splitters fit up to the stock spoiler? Did you have to file/fit very much to get a nice straight and flush look? Also, did you us anything to attach the center edges of the splitters to the stock spoiler section or does it just fit nice and tight just using the tabs?

Cheers;
Eric
Old 12-22-2004, 12:47 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Here are the final install pix. Thanks to all.

Eric, at least for the front middle portion of my car, it does not fit perfectly with these splitters. Minimal sanding lined up the seams nicely though, but the curve of the splitters is not a prfect match. I'm sure I can force them to seat against each other but with a lot of stress to the rigid ma shaw splitters. I didn't want to do that, so I left a gap, approx 1/8 of an inch.

overall, I'm happy with them.

Attached Images      

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 12-22-2004 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:52 PM
touf
Pro

Looks really good especially considering u painted them usind spray cans.
One more questions: Did u do the yellow calipers yourself?

Quick Reply: Pictures RS Splitter install (Santa dropped by this morning)