Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures RS Splitter install (Santa dropped by this morning)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 11:40 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Scott & Chris, Thanks for the nice words. Yes, prepping was defitely the key.

Dan, I will surely be there. At least watching if not on the track. I'm taking the wife so she'll see what we do. Are you making your wife drive the Boxster on the track?
Old 12-23-2004, 11:50 AM
95 GPW 993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mike - Not sure if I want to spend the $$ for the mandatory rollbar extension for the Boxster (I'd rather put the money into the 993!). It would be fun to get both cars on the track, though. That way we could maybe switch for each group run. Hoping she'll at least be able to come along and watch all the action.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:07 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike--what is that on your fenders? Kind of a Porsche "scuderia shield" thing? Are they badges or stickers?
Old 12-23-2004, 01:56 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ventoGT
Mike--what is that on your fenders? Kind of a Porsche "scuderia shield" thing? Are they badges or stickers?
Cole, they're just the $2.50 stickers
Attached Images    
Old 02-06-2005, 01:43 AM
smead42
Intermediate

Question Shaw Splitter Installation

Mike,

I read you notes on your splitter installation from last year. I too am installing the tail, splitters, and turbo scoops. Today while fitting the splitters I sanded down the tabs and found a very good fit until I got to the inside bottom. The OEM channel contours don't match the Shaw mold very closely at all. This is the area behind and to the inside of the indent for the sheet metal screw. I can cut it out with my Dremel or I can cut the Porsche plastic, but I don't want to cut any OE since I want to be able to go back stock if need be. I just can't believe it is that far off. Am I seeing something wrong or did you encounter this. '95 993 Silver.

Thanks,
APM
Old 02-06-2005, 03:22 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by smead42
Mike,

I read you notes on your splitter installation from last year. I too am installing the tail, splitters, and turbo scoops. Today while fitting the splitters I sanded down the tabs and found a very good fit until I got to the inside bottom. The OEM channel contours don't match the Shaw mold very closely at all. This is the area behind and to the inside of the indent for the sheet metal screw. I can cut it out with my Dremel or I can cut the Porsche plastic, but I don't want to cut any OE since I want to be able to go back stock if need be. I just can't believe it is that far off. Am I seeing something wrong or did you encounter this. '95 993 Silver.

Thanks,
APM
APM,

I'm not sure of the exact spot you mentioned. But if you meant the fender plastic black liner, the bottom part of it where it meets the splitter, that part didn't match exactly too on mine. I just cut/trim slightly the liner to match the splitter. My car is gone now, but I would have taken a picture to show you exactly what I did. I thought those liner shouldn't be ,more than $30, if I need them back for concours. When I trimmed mine, I know the splitters were staying forever 'cause I like their aggressive look.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:45 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI, I have the OEM splitters on my car and have the same issue. Has nothing to do with the MA Shaw pieces as they most likely just used a factory piece to make the mold.

If you search the archives, you will find the trimming the fender liner has always been a part of this mod whether using OEM or aftermarket pieces.

I've swapped back and forth between the stock and RS splitters many times and have noticed no problems caused by the cut out section of the liner. Like Mike said, if you need to go back to stock and don't like the small bit you had to take out of the liner, you can get these for relatively little $$$ from the dealer or find a used set.

Good luck! Post some pics of your car when you are done.

Hi, Mike!! I was wondering where you've been... now I know. GL w/ the 996
Old 02-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Aloha Kelly. How's Hawaii! What's "GL"? I'm having fun with the new car. Air cool gods are angry with me Mods lined up.. Lower suspension, add rockers, extend front bumper and PSE. That should be it. How's your Baby? I thought that liner trimming is just with the after market, so even the OEMs huh?

mahalo..
Old 02-06-2005, 06:04 PM
smead42
Intermediate

Thanks for your input guys. You are right. I'll just cut and go. I just lowered (H&R) the car and I can see that these splitters are going to have possum fur on in a very short time.

Aloha and thank ya'll,
APM - SC
Old 02-07-2005, 12:59 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike-

Sorry.. GL = Good Luck.

Your 996 looks sweet. As angry as the air cooled gods are, they'll get over it... don't sweat it.

Wow, selling your car was a fast decision, wasn't it? I thought you were on the long road to setting the 993 up. No matter, the SY looks like a great color and really pops the eyes!

APM- Please post some pics after you get the splitters on.

Aloha, all!!

Old 02-07-2005, 01:41 PM
smead42
Intermediate

I'll have to wait until next week to get back on the mods. I am heading to Sebring Thursday(just to watch).

Quick Reply: Pictures RS Splitter install (Santa dropped by this morning)