Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

HID DIY

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 06:05 PM
BrianB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would depend on what kind of bulbs the high beams use. If they use H1's it would be fine you coud swap them back and forth. But I am not sure that they do.

Honeslty Kelly your best bet would be HID's in the low beams and a nice 100 watt bulb for the highs. A hella or Philips would be a good choice. My HID's shoot down the road further than my stock high beams.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:18 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all your help, Brian. Just got through ordering a set. We'll see when it gets here if they improve my lighting. I already have a 100w bulb in my high lights so I'll have lots of options to play with.

yes, both high and low bulbs are h1.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:44 PM
BrianB
Instructor

Oh Excellent. Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:10 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a few points:

1. AFAIK, all H1 HID bulbs are aftermarket re-based conversions of Philips or Osram oem bulbs. As with many items there can be significant differences in quality among aftermarket brands. Proper re-basing is a precise and expensive process to insure that the gas "bubble" is located correctly in the headlight. Fractions of a mm make a difference, not to mention vibration & heat resistance concerns, etc. The difference in bulb & other HID component pricing is in many ways similar to why a Snap-on torque wrench costs more than a "no name" from China.

2. Porsche Litronics uses a separate igniter & ballast in order to maintain the same headlight configuration & slide in/slide out mounting as the halogen bulbed cars. A combined 1 piece igniter/ballast unit requires that the headlight case be butchered in some manner (however neatly) & precludes using the oem slide in plug connector. That's why I switched from the aftermarket 1 piece system I installed years ago to the Catz system wired the same as Litronics w/igniter in the headlight, no holes in the casing & oem plug in operation. BTW, the Catz installation in the link above, which requires a drilled hole in the headlight case & the igniter stuffed in the fender, IMO, is a poor alternative to the clean, easily reversible installation many here have used. It's unfortunate it's out there as a DIY instead of Brian (bet) & Mike Cap's excellent Catz DIYs.
Catz "factory" install
Catz DIY
Catz thread

3. NO aftermarket HID kit (i.e., not oem) is DOT approved. Their sale in the US is prohibited. Ebay/small online sellers are operating under the radar. I presume if someone complains, they'll get a cease and desist letter - eventually. Other than stopping the big players, like Catz, the Feds lack interest/resources to police the aftermarket HID market. As I posted last year:
I won't lose any sleep over concerns of a ticket. As a practical matter, the only way it would arise is in a DMV inspection for oem lighting compliance which, at least in my state, isn't done. In any case, w/my Catz HID install I could, if needed, revert to H1 halogen in under 20 min for inspection purposes.
NHTSA/DOT discussion
Ineffectiveness of "Off Road" disclaimer

4. Unless your car insurance contract excludes coverage w/aftermarket HID lights (& I'd be amazed if any do), your carrier can't escape or reduce its contractual responsibility in an accident unless (& this is a stretch) it can prove (a) your unauthorized mod unacceptably increased its risk or (b) there was a causal connection between your mod and the accident or insured damages. I'd be more concerned about getting hit by a meteorite through my open sunroof.

5. Kim - I've run 100W highs w/HID lows for several years. Within the low beam range, the highs add nothing. However, the range of the highs is further so they do add distance (& height). If they don't, either or both the high & low beams are improperly aimed. BTW, my 100W highs are only on intermittently, if you keep yours on you should rewire them through a relay with heavier wire since the load is almost 2x the stock 55W H1. Apart from heat issues, the voltage drop costs you light output. There have been several threads on this subject.

Regardless of kit or installation method, properly aimed HIDs make an incredible improvement in night vision. There are a number of comprehensive threads that have thoroughly discussed aftermarket HID.

Last edited by STLPCA; 07-23-2013 at 03:46 AM.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:00 PM
solsrch
Pro

Well, lots of good info, but I was surprised. I thought the factory upgrade had a self-leveling feature. Hmm.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:30 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Drag... I can't buy these unless I can get someone to put them in for me! I know you said all I have to do is cut a hole using a dremel tool or something like that... I'm a Rennlist member, but not a hole-cutting-into-my-car-diy'er-light-installing-member! It just ain't gonna happen. I have 2 left thumbs and I'm not doing this install myself.

Any Rennlisters in the DC-Md-Northern Va area interested in helping me put in my HID's for a fee ?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Old 12-16-2004, 12:36 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Steve, I have 2 right thumbs, but you are a bit far away to work out a mutual install.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:56 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks anyway, Terry! Funny post...

Maybe we can get a group install going in the Washington DC metro area one Sunday or Saturday.

Anyone? I'm in no rush. It's 28 degrees out tonight!

Steve
Old 12-16-2004, 05:54 AM
solsrch
Pro

Steve,
I don't have a garage and from the looks of your avatar, neither do you. My new audio system (from a Rennlist sponsor ) is sitting in my basement because I'm a cold weather wimp. 20 degrees as I write this and 50% chance of snow on Sunday. If you willing to do this when it is more temperate, I'd be willing to help. I haven't done this mod myself but it sounds pretty straightforward. No fee, but if a couple of beers happened to be around, I might be thirsty. I'm down in the Fort Hunt area, south of Alexandria, so I'm not too far away.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:08 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Joe - you are most generous! Thanks for the kind offer and beer is no problem. I don't drink myself, but I can buy beer for you, juice for me, and pizza for the afternoon! I DO have a garage if that changes anything...that thing on the left front of my house is a garage disguised as part house!

(if you look at page 2 of my cardomain link below, the pics are there...)

Let me know when's good for you - no rush - I'm in no hurry at all. Temperate weather sounds good to me too! I'll just buy the kit and sit it in my basement for the right warmish weekend. I'm available around your schedule, with advance notice to my wife. I'm sure I can slip in this mod without her getting too upset . It's not like it's going to cost $1000 + for OEM Litronics - she'd nix that deal in a heartbeat.

This is what the seller just emailed me:

"you can install these yourself. very easy, like changing a light bulb. also you can go to paypal.com and send the money thru there. and that would be it. thank you!!!"

Peace,
Steve

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 12-16-2004 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:23 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I *may* have sold my 95 C4 cab ... and if so, the Catz kit which has been in for three months will be coming out and be up for grabs. I'll post an update if and when ...

In fact, if someone in Boston wants the kit (I just paid $400 ... make an offer) and is willing to just swap headlight units, email me at vjd3@yahoo.com

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 12-16-2004, 12:52 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Kelly, I would think about maybe doing an HID conversion on your driving lights, rather than your highs. I would really be concerned about not being able to flash my highs. I know how it is on relatively busy Maui, and I use my highs all the time as a safety warning. There are so many elderly on the roads around the holidays...

Also, there have been several threads about the heat damage caused by running 100w highs, especially for extended periods. My mounting points are completely melted as a result...

I am going back to Maui in 11 days! I can't wait!!!
Old 12-16-2004, 01:23 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option - I replaced my highbeams with PIAA H1 bulbs. These are about $30-40 and are brighter than the stock bulbs...they are also whiterand so are a better match to the factory litronics (stock H1s look yellowish).
Old 12-16-2004, 10:27 PM
Midnight C4S
Pro

David, Does PIAA make low beam replacements as well? Did you have those put in? I'm looking at all angles, easy to big job and wondering if the PIAA option might be enough for me.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:32 AM
grmnxtc
Pro

The high and low beams on the 993 headlamps are both H1 bulbs. (i.e. 4 total per car = 2L+2R).

I replaced mine with the Osram Silverstars, and I've been happy with the night and day difference from the old stock Halogens.

Obviously not as good as HID, but for 1/10 the cost not a bad move.

My $0.02.

Quick Reply: HID DIY