Sponsored by:

EXTRA EXTRA: Catz HID BLOWOUT sale

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 09:27 AM
magnetic1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXTRA EXTRA: Catz HID BLOWOUT sale

A little bit of background. NHSTA/DOT has been trying to introduce new laws to regulate the sale of HID... well.. they just decided to BAN ALL HID KITS. They do not have a set regulation because HID does not use a filament.. therefore, no matter how accurate the HID kit is, it fails because of that ONE requirement. Well, DUH, HID has no filament, so it automatically fails.

After 8/15/2003, HID kits as you know it will never be sold again unless new laws are made. I'm sure there are all types of legal issues here,for one, this has all been done without anyone knowing. After 8/15/03, there will be a $5,000 fine PER DAY for vendors selling HID kits.

Therefore, I need to move out ALL my inventory.

All HID kits are now on sale on our website. Parts will still be available and warranties will still be honored after the above date. After 8/15, only parts sold for warranty purposes will be allowed.

You will begin seeing a LOT of HID vendors out there selling kits to move inventory, but we still stress the importance of going with Liteswap/Catz. I am not sure of the future of Liteswap, but Catz will always be there for your warranty and replacement needs.

Coupon codes will not be available in conjunction with these sale prices.

Last edited by magnetic1; 07-22-2003 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:32 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does this mean the police will be cracking down cars with aftermarket HID installations?
Old 07-22-2003, 09:36 AM
magnetic1
Racer

FOr you guys, it isnt a huge issue... the kits work well with your cars and those who already have kits are grandfathered...

As long as you dont have some outrageous 12,0000K kit (which we have never sold in the first place) you should be fine.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:24 AM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Sorry to hear about that Eric. I'm very happy with the kit you sold me and you provided me great customer support.

Hopefully things will still work out for you for a different product.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:46 AM
Rohan Nath
Racer

FOr you guys, it isnt a huge issue... the kits work well with your cars and those who already have kits are grandfathered...

Eric, I assume you mean grandfathered by the Police, Sherrif's Dept, Highway Patrol and any other entity authorized to issues traffic violations. Correct?

At this point I'm a lot more concerned about getting (expensive) tickets than I am about warranty and other issues.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:22 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Eric,

Like Rezal, I am sorry to hear about this development and decision by DOT. I have been very happy with my kit and the added safety it provides. Also, it was a pleasure to talk to you and I appreciated your help during the group buy and install a few months ago.

For the guys that did the install, if the "thought police" pull you over, show them the "factory-like" install and tell them the car came from Stuttgart that way. You may want to get rid of the velcro before-hand, however.....

Mike Cap
1997 C2
Arena Red
Old 07-22-2003, 11:31 AM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

If they control the source (i.e. the vendors), I don't see why they'll start going after the drivers unless the lights are blatantly misaligned, in which case, it should be a fix-it ticket, not a remove-it-or-else ticket. Then again, I'm not an officer of the law.

Obviously I'm biased but from my observation, HIDs on cars are not annoying assuming they're aimed properly. The problem lies more with the SUVs because of their ride height. Even when adjusted to factory spec, they will end up blinding everyone else. Many a times I've had an SUV right behind me at a light and my cabin gets as bright as if the sun had parked behind me.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:33 AM
Brent Spinks
Instructor

Sorry to hear about this. I am totally satisfied with my HID install and results. I have nothing but good things to say about Eric and Liteswap.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:43 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: EXTRA EXTRA: Catz HID BLOWOUT sale

Originally posted by liteswap
A little bit of background. NHSTA/DOT has been trying to introduce new laws to regulate the sale of HID... well.. they just decided to BAN ALL HID KITS. They do not have a set regulation because HID does not use a filament.. therefore, no matter how accurate the HID kit is, it fails because of that ONE requirement. Well, DUH, HID has no filament, so it automatically fails.
liteswap,

Can you provide us a link to this on the NHTSA or DOT web site? I think they always provide arguments and I am interested in reading those.

TIA
Old 07-22-2003, 12:24 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Hey guys, thank you for the support. I am rapidly trying to find something else to replace the product with... but even the sale of OEM HID projectors might be in question.... so I am not sure yet.

I don't have details on the mandate yet... I assume NHSTA will issue a bulletin/recall on or about 8/15. This was all done behind everyone's backs... Earlier in the year, NHSTA got some of the big names in the lighting industry (Hella, Catz, McCullogh, etc) and formed a committee... well... apparently it did nothing and NHSTA still decided on their own.

Their whole regulation process is based on the location of a filament. Since all halogen "replacements" have to conform to a halogen standard, HID fails the first requirement of having a filament being in a specific location. HID does not have a filament!

NHSTA has been investigating since last November:
"Headlamp Glare: In September 2001, NHTSA requested public comment on how to respond to public complaints about headlamp glare. NHTSA now intends to propose new lighting rules by mid-2003. The rules will address consumer complaints regarding perceived glare from high intensity discharge headlights (HIDs), HID knock-offs, and higher-mounted and front-mounted auxiliary lamps (ex: fog lamps). NHTSA has acknowledged that there are a myriad of issues associated with glare. For example, it cited a possibility that many drivers look directly at HIDs because they are unfamiliar with the light, and thus experience glare. SEMA is working with NHTSA and the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA) to identify verifiable safety issues and provide practical solutions to consumer complaints. "

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?ID=25405

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?ID=25377

As far as the kits legality is concerned.... HID kits were always illegal... that is why we always sold them with the disclaimer of being "For Off Road USe Only".... but now they are going after the vendors and making it illegal for SALE!
Old 07-22-2003, 12:29 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 723 Likes on 333 Posts

I really dont care if its illegal or not. They are safer than regular lights. My law is common sense not gov't legislated B.S.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:31 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Randy, they didnt see it that way... their testing process is just rediculous...

I think it is a much better idea to have these types of "good" kits out there... now youre going to have all these people making "homegrown" kits and there will be glare everywhere.. I just dont understand.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:31 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eric
I too am sorry to learn of the demise of HID kits. I would assume it's a result of the many complaints of glare from misaligned or high mounted (SUV) HID lights. There has been a move for several years to require self leveling here, as in many other countries.

I won't lose any sleep over concerns of a ticket. As a practical matter, the only way it would arise is in a DMV inspection for oem lighting compliance which, at least in my state, isn't done. In any case, w/my Catz HID install I could, if needed, revert to H1 halogen in under 20 min for inspection purposes.

For those of you of my vintage, remember when enthusiasts converted their sealed beams to "off road only" DOT prohibited halogen lighting? Same issues then as now & I never had any problems in many years of blatant noncompliance.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:38 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 723 Likes on 333 Posts

Eric, I still have one light that is a little yellow compared to the other...
Old 07-22-2003, 12:58 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I do remember the brouhaha over all of those "nasty" halogen lights. As the NHTSA bulletin states, many people are looking directly at the lights because they notice a color difference. When the HID's first came out, and I do believe I the first car I ever saw with them was a 993, I found myself mildly blinded by my direct gaze into the light. Even with halogens, one can be blinded but, since they're so prevalent, the mind doesn't register them as being different and off-color.

Also, I think there's an underlying anger over drivers who don't conform. I have some friends who have stupidly stated that they don't like the HID's because they find the color obnoxious.

Quick Reply: EXTRA EXTRA: Catz HID BLOWOUT sale