Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Suspect your Varioram not working? It could be ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 10:12 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All,

The length of the strengthening tube is of minimal importance, the real key is the "strength". Hard brass works well... the minute you support any part of the rubber tube it will retain its shape.

Dave hit upon one reason that I didn't make the tube any longer than necessary... the natural shape of the fitting is slightly curved due to the hoses that connect to it. The hoses have a tendency to bend the fitting, and once bent, the fitting is more prone to collapse.

I didn't want to straighten out the fitting per se, I just wanted it to not collapse. With the fitting at the natural bend angle the connecting hoses would be under the least stress, and would seal the best. And with the brass insert, the fitting would no longer collapse.

I hope that makes sense... the brass tube as a "shape retainer" was the best solution I could come up with.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:29 PM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just replaced mine DIY and by looking at the old one, it is very obvious where the crimp starts appearing. Very good idea Jeff, I should have paid you the dough rather than Pelican! Seriously, sounds like you have a great fix. Just don't forget to drill those two side holes everyone.

BTW, I could not hear or feel any noticeable difference after replacement but, that is just me.

At least all passages are now free and clear.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Slapshot,

The brass tube is not very long, it fits in between the holes so no need to drill. Again, the tube is just a "shape retainer", if it's strong enough (and it is) it doesn't need to be of great length (and it's not).

Once installed the brass tube keeps the rubber part from collapsing, that's all.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:50 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Jeff96-993
Slapshot,

The brass tube is not very long, it fits in between the holes so no need to drill. Again, the tube is just a "shape retainer", if it's strong enough (and it is) it doesn't need to be of great length (and it's not).

Once installed the brass tube keeps the rubber part from collapsing, that's all.
Hi Jeff,

I hear what you're saying, but mine is collapsed end-to-end. Will a small tube really prevent this or a partial collapse?

TIA
Old 12-09-2004, 12:05 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Sounds like using a compression fitting would work, in place of the piece of brass?
Old 12-09-2004, 12:19 AM
slapshot
Racer

Got it Jeff, thanks. I see where you mean, it is a shim right at the crimp area but no further. Ah, innovation.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:46 PM
VTT75
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Slapshot,

I checked mine and the tube was totally collapsed. Could you please let me know how do you remove the old tube? Your help are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Linh
Old 12-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Well anyway, the replacement part is cheap....

Good news, the "Air Distributor Fitting" is cheap, about $7.00, maybe less. I believe it slips off...but I have not attempted the fix
Old 12-09-2004, 04:42 PM
slapshot
Racer

No worries Linh. It is really easy. The way I did it is by reaching back in the driver's side of the engine bay with my left hand and sliped off the large end of the part first. The one going directly into the Varioram, then I slipped off the two little straw sized lines. Not a whole lot to damage back there. Just pull them straight out and massage the new ones in, or the old one with the insert placed in as noted above. Installing, I found it easiest to get the larger fitting slipped back on first, which gave resistance so I could slip in the little straw sized lines. Be sure all lines are snug as you do not want them slipping out and thus breaking the vacuum which does hiss at you when you first remove the large fitting.

A little bit of a challenge using just the left hand but, if I can do it, anyone can. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. Have fun.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Mine is 80% collapsed, and the car hasn't been run since Saturday.

Jeff, I like your permanent fix. You need to put this on p-car.com.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:21 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great post Martin and great pictures Kelly!

Mine does not appear to be as collapsed, but it is still somewhat when compared to the picture of the new one. It seems to be a little twisted just from the angle/direction from all of the hoses that are attached to it. It would also be interesting to compare the collapse percentage with mileage. Mine has a little fewer than 18k.

It would be interesting to hear Porsches opinion on this. Sounds like a TSB...
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2004, 11:39 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Mine appears to be about the same percentage collapsed as Joe's.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:16 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete Lech
You need to put this on p-car.com.

I'd be more than happy to write something up and send it Robin's way. I know he's extremely busy, as I've sent him my wheel bearing R&R a few months ago and he's not had time to update his site yet. I'll send him this over the weekend and hopefully it can be posted there.

BTW, I plan on borrowing a few of the pics in this thread showing what/where the part is and how it's collapsed when installed. If there's any problem with me using a posted photo let me know now. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2004, 02:43 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts
Default Posssible updated part

I picked up my car at my independent's shop late this afternoon just before closing time, so not as much detail here as I would like to give you. His manager told me there is an updated part they are waiting on next week from their parts distributor.

He said he could have gotten the replacement from Pelican Parts, but it is not the revised version. Now I am curious what the revised version is like and who sells it. I will let you know as soon as he gets it. Maybe it has a 13/32 brass ring inside it......
Old 12-11-2004, 02:51 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Terry,

Yes, please post what that updated part is, plus the # when you get it. Much obliged!

Quick Reply: Suspect your Varioram not working? It could be ...