new TrafficPros $359; ImagineAuto superchargers?; NewGuy

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 03:41 AM
lovesCurves
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation $299 new TrafficPros; ImagineAuto superchargers?; NewGuy

Jan 9 updates: Resulting from Dec 2 post,
TrafficPros have understandably sold out at Crutchfield for $359. Congratulations to Rennlisters who got them. Good news to those still looking: scroll below for new $299 units I just found at another reputable business.
Supercharger thread & poll from Stephen/PorschePhD/ImagineAuto posted here-- To build a supercharger kit or not?

Original Dec 2 post follows, formally titled "new TrafficPros $359; ImagineAuto superchargers?; NewGuy."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New guy here. I've read Rennlist forums for years, so it's great to finally make a post as a new owner of a 993. Resources & knowledge here are invaluable, & I hope I can be of some value with the following. I apologize in advance that I'll rarely have time to post or respond, but wanted to help with this unique time I may humbly be able to aid my wise forum-mates.

(Much prior thread reading & searching already accomplished. New info & some summary follows. No affiliation to Crutchfield or ImagineAuto.)
With Christmas approaching, I've come across something you may wish to buy for your loved ones. So, with that special 993 in mind...

I just ordered my amber/yellow Harmon Kardon (Becker) Traffic Pro navigation radio: down to $359 at Crutchfield, originally $1500. They're liquidating a volume purchase, & only had ~90 left when I called. I started researching when I saw $400 & $480 HK units on eBay, after seeing Porsche models for $895 & higher. $359's easily the lowest I've seen on the net, especially for an unopened, warrantied unit, from a reputable retailer. (Now that I've plunked down the money, it's Murphy's Law that I'd find this used unit for $200.) I hope some of you are as excited as I. The Crutchfield fellow I ordered from, Mark, gave me $20 off the $379 price, & offered to do the same when you call at 800 388 2911 x3239. (If any of this is helpful info, feel free to give him code #16936144, which will credit me a few bucks at no cost to you. Thanks in advance for helping a newbie out.)

Becker/HK options (888 423 3537): "Porsche" faceplate $155; navigation software version 2.0 Nov 2004, $185; aux (MP3) input cable $16; line output cable (for exterior amps, etc.) $9.

If you're new to TrafficPros, & won't believe they can be installed in your 993 'til you see it with your own eyes, thanks to max911 for this visual aid of his CDR-220 (same body as TP).

On to a more powerful holiday gift:
I recently talked to Stephen Kaspar at ImagineAuto (Rennlist sponsor; "PorschePhD") regarding superchargers. At this point, he's doubtful it's worth his financial while to produce S/Cs for 1996-1998 993s, due to the Varioram & ECU issues, & what he perceives as insufficient interest from owners. He mentioned he needs at least 10 committed 993 owners before he'll design a 96-98 S/C. He didn't seem familiar with the S/C posts on the 993 forum, so I relayed the immense interest I've seen here. For example, as I press 'Submit New Thread' there are at least two separate, new supercharger posts on the front page, sorted by last post. As happens when you're really talented at tuning Porsches, he's busy, expanding his shop into a new location, but agreed to spend some time perusing the 993 forum for S/C interest, & to eventually post a poll for those willing to sign up.

A couple of factoids I've noticed, & mentioned to him: I'm good at finding rare Porsche parts for sale, but have noticed Turbo Performance Center S/Cs are some of the rarest. Used parts usually go for ~50% of new, so I think it speaks of the interest-level when the only TPC S/C I've seen sell on eBay was years old, & still sold for ~80% of retail, even though TPC has introduced some significant improvements since that model. Although supercharging isn't for everyone, I relayed the conspicuous fascination I've seen many of you post here for S/Cs, especially the horsepower per dollar value of TPC.

I can't speak to the specifics of what ImagineAuto may possibly offer (price, boost, horsepower, etc.), nor am I trying to twist any proverbial arms. I'm simply trying to facilitate what may turn out to be something good for both ImagineAuto & Rennlisters. This forum's a convenient way to find out. If you're interested in a supercharger, & you think good 'ol capitalism & competition drive the market to better products, you may want to post replies here for Stephen's research. Maybe include links to your favorite S/C posts. Seems he frequents the Turbo forums -- hopefully we'll get him back in the 993 forum, searching supercharger archives soon. Keep an eye out for the official interest count PorschePhD should eventually post based on my conversation with him.
-------------------------
Thanks for your time - hope this was helpful. I've been meaning to post this for days, but every time I open this forum, I read for hours, & go to bed wide-eyed & sleep-starved.

Regarding my new 911: I feel incredibly lucky to drive my favorite body of any vehicle - the 993. They're beautiful beasts, especially since one's finally in my garage! I look forward to sharing your passion, but apologize in advance for probably not having time to post as much as I'd like. I admire you addicts out there - I'm sure you have time to keep everything else in balance in your lives, right? Wait, I'm starting to see the light already - what else is there but Porsches? ... maybe I'll just learn to prioritize correctly.

Last edited by lovesCurves; 05-22-2006 at 10:41 PM. Reason: to hopefully save you more money
Old 12-02-2004, 09:57 AM
JohnJL
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Welcome!

THanks for the great information! I just sent the following e-mail to Stephen;

>>>>>>>
Stephen,
Just saw a post on Rennlist regarding your shop and thoughts of supercharging. I can assure you there is a huge interest among 993 owners for supercharging. Today the most popular option is a kit from TPC. The particular gripes out there from would-be buyers on the TPC kit are;
1. Incomplete kit. The TPC kit requires the DIY or shop to fabricate their own hose & wiring brackets.
2. Fuel-delivery design. THere are some concerns/complaints about the 7th injector approach. While this might be the most economical approach, it would be worth looking into use of the existing injectors or GT3/GT2/other injector upgrades as part of the kit.
3. California CARB. If you can get certified, you'll immediately have a competitive advantage. TPC promised to do this and never followed through. You'd have a lock on CA cars.
4. Integrated Intercooler. TPC recently advertised offering the intercooler, but it is still in 'beta.'
5. Intake manifold sourcing. I believe the kit also requires the owner to source a pre-varioram intake. If you could provide a kit that worked with the varioram intake (ie. allow the buyer to modify their existing intake rather than sourcing a new unit), you'd have an advantage. If not, bundling an intake as a kit purchase option would be an advantage.
6. Twin-screw or other efficient design.
7. Fit the engine bay w/o need for a Turbo tail or cutting/grinding. Or offer a tail package with the kit (ie. MA Shaw, etc.)

Not all of these are requirements, but ideas about how someone could offer an immediately-differentiated product. I'm going to copy this letter to the board for further comments. For readers there, I am not intending to flame TPC (I am considering this kit) but hoping to encourage some competition!

Best,
John

>>>>>>>>>
Old 12-02-2004, 10:47 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

thanks for the information
Old 12-02-2004, 12:11 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As John mentions inhis post, there are a list of TPC shortcomings. Having said that, 99.9% of TPC users seem to be pretty happy with the result. As I postes recently, a 'new' kit would probably want to use a whipple S/C, as they offer greater efficiency & therefore heat the charge less. This could alleviate the need for an I/C - or would mean higher boost is possible before pre-detonation.

I believe that the fuelling issies could be dealt with without a 7th injector & black box. BUT, you would need uprated injectors to supply enough fuel at WOT for a 360 HP motor.

I think its all doable, but needs someone to invest money in the 'design' and 'debug' time. This would clearly cost more than a TPC install, but spread over 5-10 users, it may be worthwhile.

Good luck
Old 12-02-2004, 04:53 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Does the traffic pro play CDs?
Old 12-02-2004, 05:06 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes, the TrafficPro plays CDs. One at a time, and the face plate rotates forward/down to insert the CD. If you want to use the Nav feature, the music CD must be replaced with the Nav CD. My guess is that with the correct CD changer, the Nav CD could just be left in the head unit, and the music CDs in the changer magazine.

I also got my TP from Crutchfield. It is a very nice item, especially for the price. The screen is small, so there is no map like some other systems (Garmin, Magellan, OEM) have, but I don't miss that feature much.

I have a Magellan Roadmate in my wife's Benz. The portability makes it nice to take on trips and use in rentals cars--makes driving in strange locales much safer and less stressful.

BobbyT
Old 12-02-2004, 05:20 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Just bought one. Thanks for the tip. Mark is out for a fews days (says his VM) so I put his name in there and asked for the 20 bucks off. I also put in that number code for your credit. I've always wanted one of these for the 928s, and the color scheme will work great with them. Maybe I should buy two. Crap, maybe I should buy three. I assume this is a really great price of just a totally obsolete unit for a bargain amount because its old? Either way, it can only help. And if it plays music, and its HK, how bad could it be? I hate all the new face plates anyway.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:42 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I looked at the new TP II or whatever it's called on the becker chat site. I don't see any new features, just a little different face, now with a slot for the CD so you don't have to drop the face down.

The guy at Crutchfield seemed surprised when I called with a tech question that the specs on this unit were so good...

BobbyT
Old 12-07-2004, 12:02 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 7th injector can be removed by writing the maps properly and installing a larger set injectors. The key is not using a box to run interference into the system. We have the means to rewrite the code and that is the way the factory did it. We do this on the 996 with a set of TT injectors. Runs and operates like factory.

As mentioned my major concerns are the amount of those interested and the start up cost associated to make a new kit. I am working on several new kits. The 96 and the newer had sort of slid back for many reasons. One was the 96 and the issue with the ECUs. That is another 1400-1800 increase in cost to update the ECU which would put my kit in the higher cost category. I suppose if we did lots of 10 then we could drive the cost down. Is there that much interest? You guys tell me. We can fit something in there without issue. ATI is about 5 miles from and supplies us with what we need. There are lots of possibilities, it just boils down to how many really would buy it? If I had 10 guys I would start the project in the morning!

I will let you guys lead the way. I do things based on what you tell me is needed. If this is one of them then lets find out and really make something happen.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:05 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

welcome..

That $20 discount is a 'friends and family' deal... I can give it to anyone as well.. Crutchfield told me not to public post it on the 'net so I haven't really had the opportunity to give it away..

The deal works like this:

You give a coupon code to your 'friends and family' and they get $20 off any order over $200 and you get a $20 credit in your account.

BTW: did you know that you are limited to 1 $20 credit per month????? I found that out the hard way as I told the 2 people I knew who wanted it and while only one of the 2 got a $20 credit and I got $20 credit (which expires in 1 year BTW) instead of $40 because it was within the same month (heck, it was the same week.. LOL) DOH!
Old 12-07-2004, 08:50 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ceboyd
...That $20 discount is a 'friends and family' deal... I can give it to anyone as well...
I'm thinking of getting one of these TPs given the price (50/50 right now)...if I do, I'd like to pass the credit onto a Rennlist member. PM your code# and I'll drop you a note if I decide to go ahead and buy it.

Old 12-07-2004, 03:58 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by David in LA
I'm thinking of getting one of these TPs given the price (50/50 right now)...if I do, I'd like to pass the credit onto a Rennlist member. PM your code# and I'll drop you a note if I decide to go ahead and buy it.

Thanks! I sent you a PM with my $20 referral code...

BTW: My understanding is that the $20 code does NOT work if you are an existing Crutchfield customer (if you have ordered from them before within the last 2 years is what I was told)
Old 01-09-2005, 11:04 AM
lovesCurves
Track Day

Exclamation $299 new TrafficPros; ImagineAuto superchargers?; NewGuy

John/ Alex/ Brendan/ ceboyd- Thanks for the warm welcome. I put you Rennlisters on a pedestal for your enthusiasm & knowledge. I'm thrilled/ humbled to be able to share timely info that appears useful.

Originally Posted by texas911
[TrafficPros] No longer available at crutchfield.com.
Understandably, Rennlisters have besieged Crutchfield, & it appears this item is no longer available.

Still looking for affordable, new TrafficPros? Are you sitting down? I think I should have bought lottery tickets yesterday, instead of calling around for more TP deals... CarToys has 32 new units left, for only $299. No typo ... $299 should get you a new, boxed unit, with all cables & a GPS antenna.
Gyeesh, I had to pay $359 to get mine! Nah - even for $60 more, it's worth it.

Here's their website for reference: carToys.com, however, the Assistant Mgr said there are so few units left they're not posted on their web - you have to call. His instructions: 866 CAR TOYS (866 227 8697) should take you to the store nearest you (they're based in WA, OR, CO, & TX). Then, have someone search their computer's inventory for the Harmon Kardon TrafficA. If they can't find it under manufacturer, have them search under model. Their computer doesn't call it the 'TrafficPro' - it's abbreviated TrafficA: A for Amber display.

Please let me & others know if this works. While you're ordering, ask how many are left, & post an update/countdown here for other Rennlisters thinking of buying. Once they sell out (yah think?), here's a recent thread on Becker/Harmon Kardon/Porsche radios that may prove helpful.

Crutchfield started these at $1,500, & the Porsche model still sells for $1,700, which doesn't even get you the required $100 GPS antenna & wire. With the money you save, I jokingly suggest you treat me to a Rennlist membership (I'm still the newbie & a cheapskate at that , but I'm sure I'll pay to join your ranks soonish), or put down a deposit for an ImagineAuto supercharger!

Speaking of potentially helping develop a great new supercharger, here's a follow-up thread & poll by the owner of ImagineAuto, Stephen Kaspar: To build a supercharger kit or not?
Old 01-09-2005, 11:54 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the link re the supercharger. I have missed this thread and hopefully this year I will be looking to supercharge my cabrio if the price including install is below 10K. Hopefully Imagine will make a truly complete bolt on kit as for mechanically challenged people like me, the last thing I want is to have to pay extra labour to make something work right...
As for the traffic pro I was lucky enough to get on the bandwagon last year and get the killer price
Old 01-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hooked in the CDC3 with my TP. I keep my six favorite CDs in the changer but if I want to throw in something new - I just drop the face plate and load the CD - very convenient. On long drives, I load the Navigation CD, allow the TP to calculate the route, and then swap the NAV CD for a music CD.
Pretty flexible.

Dave

Quick Reply: new TrafficPros $359; ImagineAuto superchargers?; NewGuy