4.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

To build a supercharger kit or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 11:13 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default To build a supercharger kit or not?

Gang,
This is a reoccurring issue that is coming up and is something I would like to make a decision on once and for all. The goal is to build a new supercharger kit for the 96-98 rather than the earlier 993 and 964. Many issues exist and that is not a problem as long as the market needs/wants the kit. I can tell you that the kit would be composed of a few key components. The first is the tuning. Unparalleled is GIAC programming and this kit would carry it. No 7th injectors, the program would be rewritten as the factory would and larger injectors installed. You can expect the kit to be built unlike any of the other kits on the market at the moment.We have had a working relationship with ATI since 1994 and this is key to new technology and a different blower. Those of you that know me know that my attention to detail is my claim to fame. The system would increase HP apx 49% over stock. The last details are still sketchy, cost apx 8-9ish range. Remember the 96 would need a new ECU and that would be included. A tail may not be needed but I can't guarantee that. If it is we will include the tail in the kit.

So lets do this...Please vote in the poll. That will help me to decide what route we will take. The other key aspect is if you really want to buy a kit and this range and type of kit is acceptable drop me a PM or email. If we truly get 8-10 deposits to initiate the process I will have it done in about 6 weeks from start to finish and in full production.

Thoughts.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:30 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

This is good news!
But I don't understand the question; why would there be a difference among the three choices? Obviously the 1995 doesn't have the varioram intake manifold- is this the root of the question? And if you made the kit for '97 / '98, then a '96 owner could install the kit simply by buying an $1800 '97/'98 ECU, no?
Old 12-15-2004, 11:35 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

There is more than a simple bracket change for the 95 to the 96 but yes. The varioram is the root of the question. Yes, the 96 would be higher due to the ECU. Being that you have a 96 would YOU want to do that? You guys are the owner, not me. If I had a 96 I would but I don't classify as a normal owner either.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:32 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Let me ask it this way: Let's say that most people respond "1995" and you make the kit for a '95. What would prevent '97/'98 owners from buying/installing the kit? I assume that (like the TPC setup) they could just throw away their varioram intake and use the intake manifold you build, no? Then your one system could be used for all years.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:00 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if would be interested in a '95 kit if it were:

1) a true bolt-on install (no fabrication and can be done with hand tools).
2) must be CARB legal
3) and produce the type of hp you are describing.
4) no 7th injector

my 2 cents is that building a kit for the '95 would be a good choice as it should be a base platform for both the earlier 964 and the later 993's.

cheers,
boris
Old 12-16-2004, 04:43 AM
Tech-Law
Pro

I've been talking to TPC over the last few months and would prefer a 97-98 kit without the 7th injector. I've contacted several chip tuners regarding their ability to tweak the software and utilize upgraded injectors and the TPC kit. Please consider me a serious purchaser and not a tire kicker.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:53 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not in the market to do this just yet but the idea of an SC kit that can allow me to give a large boost to my beloved car and thus avoid having to sell it in order to get a turbo is very tempting. I'm certainly thinking of doing this in a few years time (once I have persuaded the wife what a cheap option it is over changing cars!). As these kits become more available and easier to fit I think they will grow in popularity. Add the fact that you can remove the kit if you need/want to and you are onto a winner!

Cheers,

David
Old 12-16-2004, 06:52 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In any case the Varioram would be lost, so that's really irrelevant.
The crux will be the extent that differences in the engine management software requires different maps/tuning between the years. I would suppose that the maps might be very similar if not exact across the years, but the later year's ecu would need to deal with the auxillary codes/additional sensors of the 96+ years. (knock, emissions, etc) Plusses over the TPC kit, if you can achieve them, would be:

(Stephen, I know I posted this before but I'll repost for further comment)

1. Complete kit. The TPC kit requires the DIY or shop to fabricate their own hose & wiring brackets.
2. Fuel-delivery design. THere are some concerns/complaints about the 7th injector approach. While this might be the most economical approach, it would be worth looking into use of the existing injectors or GT3/other injector upgrades as part of the kit.
3. California CARB. If you can get certified, you'll immediately have a competitive advantage. TPC promised to do this and never followed through. You'd have a lock on CA cars.
4. Integrated Intercooler. TPC recently advertised offering the intercooler, but it is still in 'beta.'
5. Intake manifold sourcing. I believe the kit also requires the owner to source a pre-varioram intake. If you could provide a kit that worked with the varioram intake (ie. allow the buyer to modify their existing intake rather than sourcing a new unit), you'd have an advantage. If not, bundling an intake as a kit purchase option would be an advantage.
6. Twin-screw or other efficient design.
7. Fit the engine bay w/o need for a Turbo tail or cutting/grinding. Or offer a tail package with the kit (ie. MA Shaw, etc.)
Old 12-16-2004, 07:22 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am seriously interested in a twin-screw or positive displacement Supercharger. A true DIY kit would be best. Hopefully in the 7-8k range. Spent my TT money on my new truck.

Dave
Old 12-16-2004, 07:29 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm in the same boat as Caveman. Not ready yet, but I know I will need more power soon. I am also not likely to "trade up", since I just had my engine rebiult, and must fully amortize my investment!
Old 12-16-2004, 10:26 PM
Malibusteve
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stephen,

You know where I stand. I'm just waiting your decision and plan.

OT: Just reviewed the excellence article. Looks like Vegas was a blast. Very impressive numbers.
Love the look of the car. They should have turned all the cars loose on the road course, 25 laps,
would have been a great race!!!

Regards,
Old 12-17-2004, 12:08 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

I'd be interested in a well thought-out kit as well. Pricing will need to be competitive - TPC's DIY kit on the low end ($6-7k kit only), and Protomotive's OBD Stage 1 kit on the high end ($12k kit only)
Old 12-17-2004, 12:55 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont think Stephen would bring a kit to market that wasnt well thought out and extremely well engineered so you guys can rest assured.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:13 AM
98993c2s
Addict
Rennlist Member

What kind of boost would this unit provide to get such a bhp increase?
Old 12-17-2004, 07:48 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Actually the differences in the software alone between the years is pretty big, 96-on not so much, but the 95 is nothing like the 96. That means that while the maps to the system are going to be similar (not exact) the way in which the software relates to the ecu will be much different.

The boost level would be low. I am estimating somewhere around 4psi. Without a product in the works and testing I can't not lock that number down. Rest assured it will be enough to keep combustion temps in a safe range.

Carb Certification could come later. I think we are all on the same page, but once again who would really be willing to place a deposit and start the process? I have plenty of takers for a test mule. Those are not in short demand, but what is the reality of people that would like it in the next 6-8 weeks?

Quick Reply: To build a supercharger kit or not?