Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new TrafficPros $359; ImagineAuto superchargers?; NewGuy

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 11:48 AM
lovesCurves
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave- Nope, I don't have a 993 wiring diagram. OK, I won't 'chuck a panic,' but I might want to chuck my installer, who's less helpful than folks like you. When they put in the new TP, they took out my old CR-210. From what I've read here, that means the GAL should work. ... but it doesn't. Nothing they've done with this install has gone smoothly.
Thanks in advance for some straight-forward photos, so I can finish it myself.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LC, I don't have any other pictures of the install but i can mail you a wiring diagram of the 993 ifs you PM me your address.

Dave
Old 02-07-2005, 04:52 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've not been ignoring your request, but I've had my own TP install issues.

I got it in, all seemed to be working fine, but I can't get past "Start Calibration Ride" screen when the NAV is booting. I think one, or two things are happening:
1. The unit seems to think I'm in reverse. I thought that maybe I wired it wrong and that the reverse sensor was getting power when it shouldn't. I took the unit out, the reverse wire was still not connected to anything so I thought I would try giving it a positive 12v by wiring it to the switched power wire, still no joy.
2. I haven't hooked up the GAL to the spoiler module, if the unit thinks that the car is standing still maybe the calibration ride won't start??

The CD, radio work fine. The unit is picking up satellites and LAT/LONG. I'll hook up long wires to the reverse sensor and GAL and see what I need to do to get it working. My only fear is that the unit might be defective.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:10 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's a tip for anyone interested in wiring diagrams for their 993: Subscribe to Alldata and they have some wiring diagrams online electronically. They're big multi-page blowups that are mostly legible, too. I think a 1-car subscription is maybe $15/yr?
Old 02-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark, The reverse wire on my unit had no impact on my calibration, I had it initially grounded. I still think the easiest place to pickup the reverse signal is the electric control board in the boot. I believe you need a Gal wire for calibration - its a pretty easy pickup at the spoiler module.

Dave
Old 02-07-2005, 07:01 PM
Paul E. Dodd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Mark,

I think Dave is right, you need the speed sensor hooked up to be able to do the calibration run. My reverse signal is not hooked up and I had no problems with calibration.

lovesCurves,

I was under the impression that only the CDR220 unit on 97-98's had the GAL feature. My early 96 C4S (also Arena Red, nice choice...) had the CDR210 and no GAL. Very easy to pick up off the spoiler per previous threads, though.

Paul
Old 02-07-2005, 10:39 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh ground - I should have thought of that! Hope I didn't short out the whole effen thing giving it a positive 12v!
yeah, I'll get the GAL hooked up and I think I'm there (fingers crossed).
Old 02-08-2005, 12:17 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

I want to thank Lovecurves for this heads up.. I went to Cartoys today and purchased the TP... Being that it was a demo I got it for less than the $299.00.. The face had some wear to it, but for $55 bucks for the Porsche face.. I couldn't pass it up.. I think that there are 3 units left in the Cartoys system..
Old 02-08-2005, 04:50 PM
lovesCurves
Track Day

Question $55 faceplate?

Originally Posted by Dudley
you can buy a Porsche nameplate at Becker for $55. Dave
Dave- Please confirm price. I just talked to Becker's Burl at parts (888 423 3537 x4). He's saying the price has gone up from the $155 in my thread-starting post to $172, not down to $55. In regards to anything ~$50, he said there's a CDR-220 faceplate (click for similar thread), but it wouldn't work well with the TP, & it doesn't say "TrafficPro." Your photo shows that yours clearly has the TP emblazoned next to the Porsche logo.

He confirmed this post about a $50 faceplate, but said it's only when you're replacing the same, malfunctioning face (i.e., factory 220 for factory 220, not Harmon Kardon TP for Porsche TP). If you're a much better 'sweet talker' with Burl, help a brother out!

Thanks for offering diagrams - I may take you up on that. Photos are what I really need to see. If you or anyone can lean under the passenger's footwell & take some after-installation digital pix - great,
Originally Posted by Paul E. Dodd
lovesCurves, My early 96 C4S (also Arena Red, nice choice...) [GAL's] Very easy to pick up off the spoiler per previous threads, though.
Paul
Paul- Love your arena red avatar. Lighting's perfect - I love the curves. Your photo reminds me of the unique & perfect profile of the 993, & why I bought one.
There are plenty of threads that are apparently easy for others, but, as I tried to allude when I wrote, "I'm no electrical engineer," I'm your average visual guy who needs a picture instead of words. For example: do I have to solder? Just cut & splice with electrical tape? & other unanswered questions, like, is it the red/white wire as folks have written, or the Gr/Pk that the Boxster tech bulletin says? You can see how all can simplified here with clear photos. ... yup, electrical dunce here, & it doesn't help that my otherwise capable professional installers were too intimidated to do it. I'm sure simple photos will also help others.

Kevin & others who have benefited from this thread- I'm honesty humbled to help. Rennlist is an incredible resource (uhm, as soon as I see some darn install photos ... joke), & I doubt I'll be able to offer too much more in the future. However, my dream is that my TP will help me navigate to ImagineAuto for a supercharger some day...
Old 02-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

LC, you have a PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:31 PM
Paul E. Dodd
Addict
Rennlist Member

LC,

Sorry, I'm on travel right now or I'd snap some pics for ya. If Dave doesn't beat me to it I'll take some when I get home. I used a no-solder, no-tape connector that allows you to tee right into the line without stripping it. Just pop it on, crimp down the blade contact and away you go. Purists will suggest soldering is the only way to go. Whatever works for you... And yes it is the red/white wire, at least on my '96 C4S.

Paul
Old 02-09-2005, 11:11 AM
alpina22
Intermediate

Just installed a TP in my brothers 993 over the weekend. Like others have stated earlier in this thread, when buying aftermarket harness adapters (such as the Metra one from Crutchfield), the constant and switched 12V pins are incorrect for a MY95 993. A simple check with a multimetre took confirmed this.

Anyway, many thanks to those on this board. The red/white wire was easily accessbile from the spoiler module. Variable illumination was also enabled by tapping off the ashtray light and the reverse wire not connected.

As an FYI, I installed one in my 2001 BMW M Coupe last summer with the reverse wire connected. There is absolutely no difference whether you connect this wire or not. Also, if you want to connect an iPod, rather than use Becker's aux cable, get the Blaupunkt aux cable from continental imports for about $19. It terminates in a mini jack that plugs into the headphone input so you don't need a patch cable like when using Becker's own aux cable. Some of you may be familiar with the Dension IceLink. Many friends have returned these as they do not work very well with a TP. Just thought I'd pass on the info.

Continental Imports

If anyone has questions/difficulty with installation into a 993, e-mail me at alpina22@yahoo.com

Arslan Akhtar
a.k.a. alpina22 on various Bimmer boards
Old 02-16-2005, 11:30 AM
Paul E. Dodd
Addict
Rennlist Member

LC,

Sorry for the delay, here are some pictures of my tap into the spoiler module and the connector I used.

I was able to pull back the harness wrapping just enough to fit the connector in place without cutting anything. My splice is the black wire coming out of the connector and going up to the TP. As you can see, it is indeed the red/white wire that I'm splicing into.

I got the connector (probably years ago) at Radio Shack, PN 64-3053.

Hope this helps (and that I can figure out how to attach photos).

Paul
Attached Images   
Old 02-16-2005, 07:01 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 104 Posts

So I tried to buy the TrafficPro today from car toys. The problem is - their website doesnt have it - only the local stores do - and they say they have one floor model left. They cant tell me if it comes with the antenna, etc. The price is the same - but here's the kicker: I have to physically be at the store to buy it. I cant give them my cc # over the phone or even send a check. They wont ship it or sell it unless I physically pay for it in person.

I'm 3000 miles away. Suggestions?
Old 02-16-2005, 11:13 PM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

So I was in Portland last week on business and as I was driving to Sunset Imports to pick up a small parts order I had placed in advance, I drive by a Car Toys and this whole thread flashes through my mind so I hastily pull in and buy their last TP for $299. It had formerly been the display unit which was now boxed up but it had *nothing* visibly wrong with it, at least cosmetically. It was the last one at the Tigard (?sp) store. They had all that came in the box (antenna, all manuals, connectors, etc.) except I realized when I got home the navigation CDs were missing. They have been really good about it, giving me the option to return the unit but I declined and instead they are getting me a set of CDs ( I hope it's version 2...) and shipping them to me as soon as they get them.

Called Burl at Becker and indeed the Porsche TP face plate is $172. No group buy quantity discount; I tried. A bit stiff but the OEM look is just so nice that I might bite the bullet. It's a $1,700 option from Porschem isn't it?

Quick Reply: new TrafficPros $359; ImagineAuto superchargers?; NewGuy