Helmet pressing on cheeks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 11:33 PM
George Helser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Helmet pressing on cheeks?

I went shopping today for a new helmet.
(My last helmet was a closed face Bell size 7 3/4 made in 1988. It fit fine.)

At Arizona Racemart I tried the following:
1) SIMPSON VOYAGER Size 7 3/4
It was too tight to wear. They told me it was the largest size.
2) BELL M2 Pro (and a similar Bell) Size 7 3/4
They fit my head OK but there was a LOT of pressure on my cheek bones & cheeks. They told me this was normal but it seemed like too much pressure. Also, I don’t want to
bite the inside of my cheeks. They said this was the largest size.

Is it normal to have a LOT of pressure on the cheeks? Any other brands to try
elsewhere?

Also, with the M2 Pro, I tried to put my sunglasses on. It was possible but tough on the frames. Is this normal?

I will be in Maryland and Virginia next week on business and can visit OG Racing as well
as any other recommended helmet supplier.

Thanks!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona
Old 12-06-2001, 11:38 PM
B-Line home
Racer

I know little to nothing about helmets but I can tell you this...
I have 2 helmets. One for auto, one for moto. My opinion is, they should always be comfortable. (or at least not uncomfortable)
I can't get my sun glasses on in either pair though. You might want to consider getting an extra shield with a tint, that is what was recommended to me..
But I would not buy a helmet if it caused constant discomfort in my cheeks. I am sure they make a bigger helmet.
(i have a pretty big head and both my helmets fit well.)
good luck.
Old 12-06-2001, 11:44 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The helmet should be tight but not too much so. I bought a Simpson and switched bacuse there was too much pressure on the cheeks and I ended up with bite inside my mouth from using it. I went with Shoei, but they are now out of the Auto helmet business. OG racing has lots of brands - you just need to try them on until you find one that is comfortable. With both helmets, I can comfortably put my sunglasses on inside the helmet.
Old 12-06-2001, 11:52 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
George

If it doesn't feel right, don't buy it.

They are like shoes... if it's uncomfortable after you put it one, it'll be agony after half an hour.

I wanted a Bell that I liked the looks of, but it just didn't fit right... the same kind of pressure as you described. I have a roundish face and wide jaw, and I know what you mean about biting your own cheeks.

I ended up with a Shoei. It's snug, even kind of tight, yet comfortable. After 45 minutes of racing, I'm still not aware of it.

And get the best you can. I had a big shunt in a formula car, and my head did bounce around the roll cage.

As for glasses, I bought a second perscription pair with those bendable frames, that I can slide in there without trashing the earpieces.
For sunglasses I have those clip on lenses that match the frame.

I use a balclava also, not just for protection, but also because it helps the helmet slide on and off.

Got mine at Northstar Motorsports (no affiliation) but found them very helpful. The owner's a P-car racer also.

Good luck with it.

BTW, I'm still driving the cars. No snow, or salt, yet.

Mike in Chi
Old 12-07-2001, 08:33 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

George, give me a call next week and we can go see Bill at OG together. As for the fit, mine have always been pretty tight at first. They pack out a slight bit - enough so I don't bite my cheeks. Now after 1 year on the new helmet, it fits great and I dont know I am wearing it. Safety wise, I always buy the tightest that I can stand - no point in wearing a helmet if its not tight on your melon.

E. J.
Old 12-07-2001, 11:15 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts
My Bell was a little tight on my cheeks but loosened up to be comfortable. OG has a wide enough selection that you should be able to find something that works.

As for glasses, I took a cheap pair that was given in a 2-fer deal and dunked the ear pieces into boiling water til they softened up some and straightened them out. Voila! They slip right on thought the helmet opening.
Old 12-07-2001, 02:16 PM
NickA
Advanced

Adding a point as a long-time motorcyclist:

A snug fit, particularly around the cheek area, is critical for motorcycle helmets. The snug fit in this area of the face ensures that the helmet doesn't simply slam back into your jaw if you go face-first into an object or the ground at high speed. Perhaps this is less important in a car where (presumably) you're strapped/buckled in and less likely to go face first into the steering wheel or dash (as a passenger)?

- Nick
Old 12-07-2001, 02:39 PM
RT7
Burning Brakes

I have a Bell M2 and it fits just right (size Large). Although, I can't use my Oakley Juliet so I have to use a sunglass with flexible ear piece such as Smith.

Peace!
Ron
Old 12-07-2001, 02:42 PM
Pauly
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
George,

I recently purchased the M2 you tried on today and I somewhat regret doing so.

Although it felt a bit too snug when I tried it on, I figured it just needed to be worn a bit to open slightly. Not so. In addition, I wear glasses on a full time basis and it is extremely difficult to get my frames into the helmet once I have it on.

Although safety is always priority number one, comfort comes in a close second. Learn from my error in judgment. Take your time and find a helmet that feels perfect before you make your purchase.
Old 12-07-2001, 02:46 PM
George Helser
Instructor

THANKS all for your helmet experience.
I will continue trying on helmets till I find a good fit.

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona
Old 12-07-2001, 04:20 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Talking

Originally posted by George Helser:
<STRONG>2) BELL M2 Pro (and a similar Bell) Size 7 3/4
They fit my head OK but there was a LOT of pressure on my cheek bones & cheeks. They told me this was normal but it seemed like too much pressure. Also, I don’t want to
bite the inside of my cheeks. They said this was the largest size.
</STRONG>

George,

That's not the largest size. They have at least one larger size than that, but they don't advertise it. Rob Wolford (whose head is the size of a small planet) has one of these. It has a strange name that I can't remember, like "Mondo Huge" or "Cranium Maximus"... I'll see if I can get Rob to chime in.
Old 12-07-2001, 05:01 PM
J Stewart
Intermediate

Talking

Agree with all the replies about fit - I have a BEll M3 and I hate to give it up b/c it fits great, tight but no pressure anywhere. I will go w/ this helmet in the SA 01 version. As for sunglasses - try Oakley - they have the straight temple pieces and I find i can slide them right into place.
Old 12-07-2001, 05:31 PM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 39 Posts
DJ, I'm taking the bait and diving into the fray!

I am indeed the proud owner of the Bell "Fat Head" helmet. As DJ knows, a few years back I ordered the largest helmet that Bell had to offer. When I put it on, it felt like a medievel torture device. When I called Bell to complain, they said no problem, we'll send you our Fat Head model. Sure enough, 2 days later my helmet arrived and it does indeed have "Fat Head" emblazened on each side of the helmet (not kidding). My employees had such a good time giving me sh** about the helmet that it became a gag around the office until I took it to the track. Anybody who screwed up a deal or a trade had to wear the Fat Head helmet around the office for a few hours.

BTW, you guys have always heard what they say about guys with big hands or big feet, right? Do the math my friends!!!

Flame away!!!
Old 12-07-2001, 09:37 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Wink

Originally posted by Rob W.:
<STRONG>I am indeed the proud owner of the Bell "Fat Head" helmet. </STRONG>
That's it! Thanks, Rob.

<STRONG>BTW, you guys have always heard what they say about guys with big hands or big feet, right?</STRONG>
Big gloves and big shoes?
Old 12-15-2001, 01:08 AM
George Helser
Instructor

Happy ending to my search!

Went to OG Racing today (needed some directions to find it).

I explained to Jamie I had tried several 7 3/4 helmets in an Arizona racer store (the
largest helmets they had) but none fit. Jamie immediately brought out a Simpson and a
Bell that fit. The Simpson contours did not match the contours of my head well (not
Simpson’s fault). The Bell M2 Pro Extra Large (Jamie said it was the same as size 8)
was snug but the contours fit the shape of my head pretty well. I could also fit
sunglasses without too much difficulty. I bought the Bell and a helmet bag. I was very
pleased with the OG Racing inventory and helpfulness.

I am now ready and anxious to go racing!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

Quick Reply: Helmet pressing on cheeks?