Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An OT section desperately needed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 07:33 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
I have really enjoyed this thread for many reasons, so my thanks for discussing it as openly and honestly as you have - it's probably more appreciated then you know..!

Let me add “a few” things from my perspective, some of which have been discussed already...

I am a firm believer that truly successful Boards are first "gently guided" by the moderator(s) in so far as what are "acceptable" and "Not Acceptable" overall topics. By "gentle" - it doesn't mean banning folks, or deleting threads or censoring folks - "gentle" usually means a post within that thread suggesting where it should/might go either in a different area - or off the site altogether. My experience is that if you treat Board Users the way you'd like to be treated - it usually works.

But you folks are well beyond that "initial phase". This specific 993 Discussion area already has developed its own rhythm and it has developed its own unique personality. So that when you log in - you know that some posts will be OT, but most will be 993 focused or Porsche related. And for that, there is a degree of familiarity that develops, and thereafter – it becomes it’s own “community”.

Now - let's be honest, since you folks have developed your own “Personality” and community within this Forum - my role is much more of a spectator, as I try to respect the unique personality of each discussion group. For that, I administer this forum very differently then I do the e-mail lists (which each have their own personality as well) or even the other discussion forums in this site. For example - cruise by the larger 944 area or the 996 forum and you'll see what I mean, as they have entirely different “rhythm” and “personality” then this 993 discussion area.

In reality, the only time I get publicly involved is when there is a major Flame war, or there are a lot of issues surrounding the management of the site, or questions regarding Rennlist itself. Privately, outside the "Public" view - I am far more active in stopping private flames between Forum users or e-mail attacks in the lists – and sometimes, private Flames from one user to another. Some folks accept that as my role – and others don’t take my role too well at all. Anyway - what I'm driving at is that I think that this area has already defined what your fellow users will typically tolerate for subject matter, and what is OT. And, if I try to step in - and enforce my "opinion" on what is "good" or "bad" - then this Forum takes on *my* personality, rather then collectively yours’ – as in subjectively what I think is “OK” or “not OK” to post. In a larger sense, if that is allowed to happen, this Forum loses something of the “Community” that has been developed by each of you. Therefore, IMHO – the least amount of my public presence in many of the Forums is therefore “a good thing”. On the rare occasions if/when there is a public presence required – it’s usually pretty swift and I try to be fair to all parties involved. (BTW: When they give lessons on managing/administering/moderating a site with 85,000 folks daily – I’ll be the first to sign up..!!! ‘Till then, I jut use my best discretion and 4 years of experience as my only guidelines

Now – with all THAT being said, another reason an OT area really doesn’t work is that when you leave this 993 area of Rennlist - even to post to another Rennlist Forum – you probably get the feeling that you are leaving the sanctuary of this specific community. Why? Because there are whole different groups of people in those other OT forums (we actually have 2 of them now). And, if you are like most folks – it just isn’t the same posting an “OT 993 vs. Honda street race” story to a bunch of cyber-strangers (who probably don’t have a 993 anyway..!!) Now, it’s not that there aren’t a lot of OT posts within the forum that couldn’t go there, but lets be honest – posting OT stuff outside the comfort of this forum group just isn’t the same.

Anyway – as you can probably guess by now, I kind of let each Forum/Discussion list decide what is best for them in so far as “On Topic” and “Off Topic” subjects. If I, or other members of your community, strongly object to a thread – chances are pretty good you’ll hear from me privately (and pretty quickly). In these ways – my role simply becomes one of supporting your community through enforcement of what you want, rather then what I would try to “mandate” – which is ultimately unsuccessful and typically kills the community altogether.

There, now you have my full $0.000002 on this – which is all OT!!
Old 01-31-2002, 08:19 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Wow, this is the first thread on this board that I didn't enjoy reading...

Regarding the "younger" comments, just how young is young/too young? I'm 34, but I enjoy the threads on Playstations, etc. Am I "young" because of that? Or maybe it's because I just bought my first 993? I've met so many friendly folks on this board that I hope that most don't think this way.

I love the board, I like the graemlins, etc. This board is much nicer than roadfly, the 986 board, etc.

To the admins, please don't change a thing and keep up the good work!

Cheers,
Old 01-31-2002, 09:24 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

John D,

Thank you for your comments, and excellent administration of this board. My 993 experience has been greatly enhanced by this board and its useful information, recommendations, and comraderie.

You may not know this, but Greg and I met as a direct result of the Rennlist 993 board, and we, our wives, and our children have become great, great friends as a result. He, and others on this board, convinced me to start tracking my car, and I've never had such a great time with any other hobby in my life (I must be the only doc in town that has no use for golf now!).

To some degree, I can thank you for that. I agree wholeheartedly with Skip - the board is great as is, and I welcome all posters.

Keep up the good work!!!
Old 01-31-2002, 09:46 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Anir:
<strong>
He, and others on this board, convinced me to start tracking my car, and I've never had such a great time with any other hobby in my life (I must be the only doc in town that has no use for golf now!).

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Anir,
You wife is going to look at me in a couple years with disgust (the way mine looks at me now!) after you buy a race car, tow vehicle and a house with a 4 car garage and lift. And you are just going to say "it was Greg's fault", I can see it now.
We can play golf when we are old and have an excuse for playing so badly.
Greg
Old 01-31-2002, 10:38 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by john-'96 993 cab:
<strong>quote:

quote:

Best regards,
FF

You may be right. OK, tonight I'll go home, get drunk and read the board. I take no responsibility for posting a Killz topic, though. There is this Honda Civic with a big tailpipe that I've had my eye on during my ride home. Who knows, I may even dig up last year's income statement. </strong><hr></blockquote>

We're waiting what the results of your 'experiment' are
Old 01-31-2002, 10:48 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

John D (& others too),

Thanks a lot! This board really is/has been great. And without people (good or bad) it would be nothing.

Greg,

"...We can play golf when we are old and have an excuse for playing so badly..."

I always say: "I'll start playing golf when I'm so bad that I can't hit moving ball anymore"
Old 02-01-2002, 03:42 AM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John D ,
To date this is an excellent forum and I think you do a great job of monitoring it with out being too intrusive/dictatorial.
Keep up the good work.
Tito.

Quick Reply: An OT section desperately needed!