993 Forum 1995-1998

Greeting other Porsche drivers...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 11:04 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry Greeting other Porsche drivers...

just does not seem to work much here in Zurich. I doubt if more than one in ten respond. When I do get a response, it is usually from older models (930's and 911SC's), others ignore me or look perplexed. Any better in the UK or U.S.A.?
When I get my car repainted "Tweety bird" (to quote Ray) eye-searing yellow - I will be hard to ignore and will be curious to see if I have more success than with my stealth silver (hope it won't be the cops who will be responding... waving me down, instead of at me...)
Old 01-29-2002, 11:55 PM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mixed results in TX,

I was surprised (and gratified) the other day when a 996tt driver actually waved at me first!! You never know - keep wavin'

Ben
Old 01-30-2002, 01:43 AM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I wave and sometimes flash my lights when I see other Porsches, any year and any model. Some respond in kind, others seem surprised, and a few are just downright rude. A guy in a lovely white 993 C4 was playing the stare straight ahead game the other day, but the teenager in the passenger seat was smiling. He said something to the driver (dad, I suppose), the driver responded, then the kid stared straight ahead with his head down!

Sheesh, did "dad" tell him not to look or something? Oh well, I'm going to do my best to avoid the "Porsche Snob" stereotype that I hear about all too often. These are great cars and there's no reason for the owners/drivers to act like jerks.

Cheers!
Old 01-30-2002, 01:51 AM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

I've exchanged flashes with a few cars. My philosophy is that it takes almost no effort to pull back the lever to flash, so I'll do it even if the response rate is low.

One time I was filling my tank at a gas station and a black 993 driving by the station honked at me and the owner waved. That was pretty neat.
Old 01-30-2002, 02:48 AM
brandon
Instructor

Have had no one respond w/ the lights flash.
Had a GT-2 driver wave back & a 996TT driver wave.
Like Skip I give a friendly wave to any year, any model- they're all part of the club
I do find the "stare straight ahead" syndrome curious - are they truly that UNaware, or just insecure?
Old 01-30-2002, 02:50 AM
Rohan Nath
Racer

I had a really cool experience a few months ago in SLC. I pulled up at a traffic light just ahead of a speed yellow 993 C4S. I waved to the guy and when the light turned drove onto the freeway onramp. The guy followed me, flashed his lights at me a couple of times, and pointed towards the side of the onramp. Sure enough there was a cop ticketing someone.

I thought it was nice of him to look out for a fellow 993 driver.
Old 01-30-2002, 09:03 AM
Doug Malone
Advanced

I wave versus flash and in most cases get a wave back, but in all cases I was the one initiating the wave. Of course this only occurs at lower neighborhood speeds. This was a real tradition when I owned a Corvette, so I carried the habit over, didn't know others were doing this.

Doug

<a href="http://www.dmracing.cjb.net" target="_blank">D & M Racing</a>
Old 01-30-2002, 09:38 AM
Brian 96C2
Pro

I'm the only 993 owner in my entire county so I never see other 993 around here. There are several other 911 owners, but I'm so shocked to see another 911 I can never remember to flash my lights. About all I can do is offer a quick wave. The times I have done this though the other driver, who is equally shocked, responds.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:39 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The other day I took my wife out for a drive and had to stop for gas. While waiting, a very attractive blonde female in a guard red 993 cab slowed down, honked and waved.
I tried to explain to my wife that this is 'acceptable protocol' between fellow pcar owners.
She didn't buy it.
I'm going to print off this entire thread and take it home for her to read.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:49 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't get many waves here in S. Florida (even though this morning, beatifyl silver 930 was behing me and for sure, waved back!)

When I'm in Finland, basically all Porsche drivers wave, but there are not too many Porsches (& particulary 911's) there.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:38 AM
timrod
Track Day

I've consistently had great responses by other 993 drivers in the Boston area when flashing hello to them, and I always respond when flashed. But, I wonder if this will continue because I recently sold my 993 C2 and am now waiting for a new 996 C2 due in March. I'm thinking maybe the 993's (and earlier Porsches) won't flash back once I'm driving my 996. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:45 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Brian 96C2:
<strong>I'm the only 993 owner in my entire county so I never see other 993 around here. There are several other 911 owners, but I'm so shocked to see another 911 I can never remember to flash my lights. About all I can do is offer a quick wave. The times I have done this though the other driver, who is equally shocked, responds.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Brian,
Where in Indiana do you live? If you are near Indy you need to go to Putnam with us for a DE.
Greg
Old 01-31-2002, 12:08 AM
Timothy Stewart
Instructor

Thought I would share my favorite "greeting" story.

About two years ago, right after I had purchased
my car, I went to a POC event at Laguna Seca.

As I was leaving, a session had just ended and
I ended up going in the opposite direction of
the 20 car car group on an access road as they exited and headed back to the pits.

POC's is pretty hard core and all of these were
dedicated race cars.

My daughter and I flashed and waved.

*Each one* returned with a wave and big smile!

tim
Old 01-31-2002, 02:20 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

I tend to think that the more water the engine pumps and the fewer number of pedals on the floor, the lower chances of getting a wave (watch me get hammered for that one!).

Just seem to be the case from my experience; number of waves has dropped in recent years. Then again, Adventurine Green is a bit more "discrete" than previous white and silver 911s.
Old 01-31-2002, 06:45 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
One embarassing thing that happens to me is that on some rare occasions when I am not driving my car, I still tend to great other Porsches as a reflex, and get very baffled looks from the driver...

Quick Reply: Greeting other Porsche drivers...