Sponsored by:

DIY oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 01:12 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 270 Posts
Question DIY oil change

I'll be attempting an oil change soon (both filters) and have some quick questions. Thank you Mr. Robin Sun for your outstanding DIY site - what a resource.

Based on that site, it mentions "O-ring for oil tank drain plug" # 999 701 269 40, page 1 of the oil change DIY. Nowhere in the DIY does it call for using the o-ring. I have the sealer washer, but do I need the o-ring?

As for doing the 2nd oil filter, when removing the oil-return line (to access the 2nd filter), do I need to replace the oil-return o-rings (three of them?)?. I know the manual states to replace, but since I didn't buy any, will I be dead in the water without them?

Lastly, this is my first DIY oil change. Any additional recommendations?

Cheers and thank you for any assistance!
Old 05-18-2003, 01:22 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Oleg
I didn't change the o-rings the first time around on two different 993's and didnt have a problem.
Here's one:
Loosen the oil tank drain plug just enough to allow a good flow of oil to drain (without taking the plug completely out). Otherwise, you might have a gusher on your hands (ask me how I know).
Good luck
Jim
Old 05-18-2003, 01:23 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on that site, it mentions "O-ring for oil tank drain plug" # 999 701 269 40, page 1 of the oil change DIY. Nowhere in the DIY does it call for using the o-ring. I have the sealer washer, but do I need the o-ring?

That one is replaced when you pull out the oil tank drain plug. When you pull it out, you'll see where it should go. I think that you should replace this o ring.

As for doing the 2nd oil filter, when removing the oil-return line (to access the 2nd filter), do I need to replace the oil-return o-rings (three of them?)?. I know the manual states to replace, but since I didn't buy any, will I be dead in the water without them?

You don't have to replace them, but it'd be better if you did. I could only find where 2 of the o rings went, but not the third.

Lastly, this is my first DIY oil change. Any additional recommendations?

When lining up the oil return tube bolt, you can wiggle the oil return line for a better fit. There's a rubber section of hose upstream about 5 inches. ( Took me about 1/2 an hour to figure this one out! )

Also, make sure that you have the oil filer wrench. It makes things a lot easier.

Make sure that you use a 6 point socket for the oil tank drain plug. It's alum and can be stripped easily.

When loosening the drain plugs, keep pressure against the plug until it's completely unscrewed and then pull the plug away quickly. Using this technique, I've been able to avoid getting oil all over my tools and hands.

Make sure you have lots of rags handy!

Go slow and you should be fine. I just changed my oil yesterday ( as part of my 30K service ). Today, I"m going to be doing the spark plugs.

If you need any help or get stuck, give me a call, I can come on over and give you a hand. I also have extra o rings/washers that you are welcome to use.

I've written an amended DIY to robin's which might be helpful too: <a href="http://www.cuberootconsulting.com/~jchan/oilchange/" target="_blank">http://www.cuberootconsulting.com/~jchan/oilchange/</a>
Old 05-18-2003, 01:42 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jim and Jeff - excellent comments!

Hi Jeff, your additions to Robin's DIY were excellent - I planned on following your good recommendations. Thank you for your generous offer (again) about loaning some o-rings. Maybe I'll take you up on this if I do the oil change today (Sunday).

Considering this is my first go, how much time should I allocate for this DIY (with car on jacks aleady, tire removed, etc...)?

TIA
Old 05-18-2003, 01:46 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by oleg steciw:
<strong>Considering this is my first go, how much time should I allocate for this DIY (with car on jacks aleady, tire removed, etc...)?
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I'd probably allot the entire day because you'll be figureing stuff out and don't want to rush the first time.

For example, it took me about 1.5 hours to jack up the car the first time. Mostly becuase of forgetting little things like putting blocks under the rear wheels or not remembering to loosen the front lug nuts, etc, etc.

Finding the small engine oil filter took me about 1/2 an hour the first time! And hooking the oil return line back took another 1/2 an hour.

I can do it all pretty quickly now though.

Also, while you have your car up on jack stands you may want to consider changing the trans fluid. It's super easy when the car is already jacked up.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:55 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jeff. I recently changed my tranny fluid, so I'm ok for now, but next time...

Bravo on tackling the plugs yourself. I think I might try this myself next time..

Old 05-18-2003, 02:16 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 134 Posts
Another tip- make SURE you have an oil pan capable of holding a lot of oil. I have found that an enclosed oil pan with just a little hole in the middle doesn't work at all. There is so much oil coming out at once, that the little "drain" can't handle it, and soon you have a really nice mess. Don't ask me how I know this, but I bought a really badly designed drain pan from Auto%&^&! once! Get a nice big, open pan for the oil. I usually put a big sheet of cardboard down under the car and pan, since the oil can splatter quite a bit.

Take your time and have fun. Robin's DIY is outstanding.

Incidentally, you should always replace the aluminum "gaskets" on the the plugs. These are actually a kind of crush washer, and they ensure that the plugs stay tight and the oil stays in the car!

Cheers
Old 05-18-2003, 03:08 PM
DamonsCarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts
Guys,

I have alot of respect for Robin's site, and there's alot I have learned from the DIY section, but here's another view: You don't have to disconnect the oil line to get the second filter out. If you are using the Porsche oil filter wrench, if you cut off one of the ears and cut down one of the sides a little bit you can pull the filter out without having to remove anything.

Just my $.02

Damon
'94 325i
'95 993
Old 05-18-2003, 04:10 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 134 Posts
Damon is right. Personally, I have never removed the oil line. I don't use a filter wrench either, so as to not over-tighten. If you are pretty dexterous, you can remove it by hand and not make too much of a mess! 15 oil changes and counting, I am still impoving my techique!
Old 05-18-2003, 05:39 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Robin never says the oil return tube must be removed. In fact he states that the filter can be removed without removing the tube. He only mentions that removing the tube makes it easier to extract the filter. Additionally you get more old oil out of the system when you remove the tube.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:10 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Question

Ok, started the DIY last night...so far so good..

Where can I find a suitable oil wrench? I went to by local Kragen, and they had nothing that fit. I just called a Porsche dealer, and Parts didn't have an oil wrench - he had no idea where to get one. Any thoughts on where I can find this??

I think I'm going to try to change the 2nd filter without moving the oil return line. I'll try it this way, and if it doesn't work, I'll move the line...

BTY, is there a good place to buy tools online? I'm looking for a tool that accurately measures rotor thickness.. TIA
Old 05-20-2003, 02:21 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Where can I find a suitable oil wrench? I went to by local Kragen, and they had nothing that fit. I just called a Porsche dealer, and Parts didn't have an oil wrench - he had no idea where to get one. Any thoughts on where I can find this??

I don't know if this helps, but I bought it online from suncoast porsche. You may find one by trial and error if you bring your oil filter to the shop. You are also welcome to borrow mine too.

I think I'm going to try to change the 2nd filter without moving the oil return line. I'll try it this way, and if it doesn't work, I'll move the line...

I don't know why everybody is making such a big deal about NOT removing the oil return line. The service manuals state that you should remove it. Can you get the oil filter out if you don't? Sure. Either way works out.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:29 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Oleg,

You should be able to find the oil filter wrench socket at Pep boys. Bring your filter in to match with the selection of sizes they have. Both the long and short filters have the same size diameter.

It is definitely possible to change out the 2nd oil filter without removing the oil return line. But you will just make a bigger mess. And also have more left over old oil in the system.

Afterall, one of the reason why you what to DIY is to do a perfect job, right?
Old 05-20-2003, 02:32 PM
Pete K
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found the oil wrench at the local "shucks" I think affiliated with Autozone. It was somewhere around $4.

Pete
Old 05-20-2003, 03:02 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
I just did my DIY oil change this past weekend. Robin's instructions were fantastic help.

BTW, the job took me over 6 hours because the small oil filter (in the engine) was SO TIGHT that I had to fight it off with punches and chisels and an assortment of special tools and brute strength! I am beaten, bleeding and bruised! But victorious! (see my link below and check the Porsche album for pics of the filter)

Naturally, I had to remove the oil return line and would do so in the future anyway because, as Robin states, it holds a LOT of oil and now I see it would be wise to remove for the most complete oil change job!

Jeff, thanks for your additions to the DIY Oil Change. They make it even more complete! But thankfully, I have a year to recover before I need it again!

Quick Reply: DIY oil change