Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo Question: Tweeter Placement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 05:46 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stereo Question: Tweeter Placement?

Did a search but didn't find anything pertaining to my actual question. I have some Infinity Kappa tweeters in the original factory tweeter housings. T medium to higher volumes, the high frequencies are very irritating and harsh, occasionally to the point of giving me a headache. They seem to be just too piercing. The tweeters in my AUDI do not do that and are positioned up high on the doors as well. I have settled on turning the housings 180 degress so that the tweeters are now pointed towards the dash. Of course this affects staging, etc, but it is the only thing I have been able to think of that will get the high frequencies away from my ears. Does anybody else have this problem and what have you done? I doubt changing the tweeter will make much difference.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:10 PM
Benton
Drifting

I've had the same experience with infinity tweeters being harsh. I don't like loud high frequencies in my ears anyway, so I moved my tweeters to the bottom corner of my doors with some custom fiberglass work. In theory, this also helps staging because the pass. side tweeter is now much closer to my ear in relation to the driver's side. This is sort of obsolete though, as my leg blocks the driver's side tweeter to a certain extent if my foot is not on the clutch or the dead pedal. Here is a picture (BTW, the DS tweeter points up more than it appears... the tweeter is not set fully in the hole in the picture.):
Attached Images   
Old 10-18-2004, 06:16 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I was planning on using the factory tweeter location too, but wasn't sure. (even more unsure now after reading your posting).

Are you using the factory amp or are the tweeters going through a crossover? If going through an infinity crossover, were you able to attenuate to a different setting? If memory serves, the crossovers in the hi-fi system are built into the amp and a capacitor(?) sits in line with with the door speakers to block lower frequencies to the tweeter.

-travis
Old 10-18-2004, 09:53 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Travis,

I have a 5-channel ALPINE amp (MRV-F450) which delivers 66 watts x 4 and 222 x 1 RMS. The speakers are ININITY KAPPA 6.5 with there own crossovers although further tweaking can be done with the amp and headunit controls too. I'm thinking about going with a coaxial 6.5 to keep the woofer/tweeter close together and just leave the original tweeter housing empty. I just hate having the tweeter so high up close to my ears. My concern is that I'm not too familiar with good quality coaxials. I'm leaning toward JL AUDIO XR CXi650's. Can anyone comment on coaxials only up front in these cars?

Mark,

Great looking door panels, That seems like a much better setup for tweets than stock. I don't have the $$$ or time to be as fancy.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:12 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

jdoc,

I'm not sure if you have the factory hi-fi setup, but here's how Rod Birch did mine. Like Mark, my tweeters now sit lower in the door.

We dumped the original speaker housing. Good riddance to that heavy enclosure. Note that the new tweeters sit where the original midrange speakers once did.

From the outside, everything looks stock. The original tweeters up high in the door are disconnected. So, the 3-way turned into a 2-way. The imaging is much improved, with no irritating brashness or artificial highs.

Old 10-19-2004, 12:40 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting, because I passedon the Kappa's at the store for generally the same reason you're complaining about. I just thought they were much too high. I put in MB Quart components mounted in the factory locations except the coax's are 6.5" so there's a deeper sound. I had to cut the housing a bit in the door to fit the 6.5s but I wanted the deeper sound. I've done components with 5.25s before and it has been much too high for my liking. I have Focal 4" in the rear side (I have a cabriolet) with the tweeters focused to the front. I have a Audison amp with 8" subs in the rear (Rod Birch setup).

Almost perfect sound for me....

Also, I have an Alpine CDA-9820XM head unit.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:59 AM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jdoc7
Travis,

I have a 5-channel ALPINE amp (MRV-F450) which delivers 66 watts x 4 and 222 x 1 RMS....
What kind of sub are you driving with the 5th channel (222x1), and where is it located?
Old 10-19-2004, 01:07 AM
jdoc7
Pro

Dave I,

I have two Rod Birch enclosures for the rear footwells with 8" JL Audio 8W3's (dual 4 ohm voice coils) running in parallel from the single sub channel at 4 ohms each. These puppies really kick! I was a little skeptical since these enclosures are not true enclosures but rather tight fitting baffles. up against the rear of the footwells. However, they do provide plenty of punchy bass for my tastes. Now if I could only iron out the highs!
Old 10-19-2004, 01:32 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JDoc:

I did the Kappa system in my last 993. Not liking the kappa mount and also not liking the factory tweeter being aimed back, I made my own backing plate for the Kappa tweeter. Here is a photo for reference...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Stereo Question: Tweeter Placement?