993 Forum 1995-1998

Brakes feel mushy after bleed....

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 07:00 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 242 Posts
Smile Brakes feel mushy after bleed....

I recently bled my brakes (Power Bleeder - and not my first time doing this..), and my brakes still feel mushy.

Could it be:

Additionally, how does the brake fluid circulation work? Does the fluid from the reservoir circulate through the system, or is it just there to compensate for pad wear fluctuation.

Thanks in Advanced..
    Old 08-21-2001, 07:13 PM
    Anir
    Addict
    Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
    Oleg,

I always use ATE gold (and the Motive Power Bleeder), and it's great - as I understand it, there is no difference between Gold and regular Blue except the dye.

It takes me 1.5 liters of fluid to do the system completely. Maybe, by draining only 200 cc at each corner, you've left older fluid in the system.

A six or seven month old can should be discarded, since brake fluid is so hydroscopic. I usually change my brakes with Greg Fishman (since he's usually bleeding just about any day you catch him ). This way, we use 3 liters between the two of us. I'd like to bleed with Jerry, but I think he's opposed to bleeding on principle.

If you have any air bubbles in the system (I've never seen any in mine), you might try tapping the calipers gently with a rubber mallet while bleeding - to help dislodge the bubbles into the bled fluid.

Hope this helps. I'd try it again, and use a slightly larger amount of brand new fluid. Good luck.
    Old 08-21-2001, 08:37 PM
    Greg Fishman
    Addict
    Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
    I knew my name would come up if it involves bleeding brakes so I will add my two cents.
    Oleg,
    I am assuming the car's fluid resivior never got low enough to introduce air into the system and that you didn't change pads (which could make the brakes feel funny for a 100 miles or so), and that you bleed both the inner and outer caliper. So my first thought is that you got bad fluid. I would bleed the brakes again, and again (just kidding on the second time) and see if that helps. I would throw away any brake fluid that was in an open container that was over a couple months old. The ATE has a good wet boiling temp but the stuff isn't that expensive so I would only use a fresh container. I have the same brake system you have and I only used 3/4 of a liter as I went from AP600 (amber) to the ATE BLue so I know I removed all the old fluid.
    Anir,
    The TT's system hold much more fluid than the standard 993's do.

Greg
    Old 08-21-2001, 08:47 PM
    os993
    Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 242 Posts
    Cool

Thank you Greg and Anir - most helpful feedback, thanks.

BTY, does anyone know where to buy ATE Super Blue in bulk, like a case of it or something? Paying $12.95-$10.95 (depending on vendor) is not too bad, but a volume price would be nicer. Any inputs??
    Old 08-21-2001, 09:14 PM
    Anir
    Addict
    Rennlist Member

Smile

Greg: Anir, The TT's system hold much more fluid than the standard 993's do.
    Sorry - I forgot to consider that!

Oleg,

I've purchased ATE for $8.95/can from OG Racing (non-bulk). Good service, and prompt shipment.
    Old 08-22-2001, 06:23 AM
    JDW
    Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
    bleed the pressure accumulator if TT or C4s also. I think we bled it in the wrong order last time Anir. MAYBE IF YOU BOUGHT ME A BLEEDER LIKE YOU DID FOR GREG I would bleed mine more often. It's not that I don't want to bleed, it's that I don't need to since I don't use the brakes on track anyway. Maybe if Greg would use more throttle and less brake he wouldn't need to bleed six times a week Sorry I couldn't resist.
    Old 08-22-2001, 06:55 AM
    JDW
    Intermediate

I know I will pay for that comment at the next three track events this year Anir. Greg really has sorted the car out now and is flying. I was worried at Mid Ohio race that he wasn't ever going to use the car's potential but he's strong now. TOO STRONG! I am taking donations at this time for that suspension since that will be the only way I can run with him again. I hope and would like by OVR Putnam P. to have something in the car. I think I'll talk to Steve today.
    Old 08-22-2001, 08:23 AM
    Anir
    Addict
    Rennlist Member

JDW: I am taking donations at this time for that suspension since that will be the only way I can run with him again.
    Jerry, I don't know about monetary donations , but count me in as a trusted member of the "pit crew" when the time comes for your suspension upgrade. You'll "reel in that Fish"!

I'm looking forward to OVR Putnam Park! Maybe, ya'll can teach me a thing or two about a thing or two.
    Old 08-22-2001, 09:41 AM
    Greg Fishman
    Addict
    Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by JDW:
    <STRONG>Greg really has sorted the car out now and is flying. I was worried at Mid Ohio race that he wasn't ever going to use the car's potential but he's strong now. TOO STRONG!</STRONG>
    You are right I am finally catching up with the car's ability. If someone would have told me how different this car would drive compared to my slightly prepped street car I would have called them crazy. But it was a totally different animal. For someone running a totally stock car (suspension, engine etc) Jerry's C4S rocks but that is mostly due to the crazy nut behind the wheel

Anir,
    I think we will show you a thing or two, hopefully it wouldn't be the things you shouldn't do. You can hop a ride with us since we are instructing and we can run a few laps nose to tail and see if that gets your adrenaline pumping.
    Here are a couple pics from the Club Race at Gingerman.
    Greg
    Old 08-22-2001, 08:15 PM
    Bill - Chicago
    Instructor

Talking

Where have I seen these pics before?
    Old 08-23-2001, 12:54 AM
    Bill - Chicago
    Instructor

Here are a couple of more I like these pics better
    http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/gingerman1.jpg
    http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/gingerman2.jpg
    Old 08-23-2001, 05:25 AM
    JDW
    Intermediate

That's a good one Bill.
    Old 08-23-2001, 09:34 AM
    Greg Fishman
    Addict
    Lifetime Rennlist

LOL!

How about this one Bill?!

Not to be out done I had to do some fourwheeling also.
    Old 08-23-2001, 09:49 AM
    E. J. - 993 Alumni
    Drifting

that settles it - that looks like too much fun. I'm done now...
    Old 08-23-2001, 12:54 PM
    Bill - Chicago
    Instructor

Ok Greg you got me those are the best PICs from the weekend. BTW how did you get them to show inline vs a link?

Jerry it is good to see you here. I did not realize you where JDW.

Quick Reply: Brakes feel mushy after bleed....