993 Forum 1995-1998

Brakes feel mushy after bleed....

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 01:10 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I agree those pics where the best of the bunch. Though, I did get some good video also! I wish I had a camera in your car to see your start, that was truely unbelievable. I think your car has a nitrous bottle somewhere, I wonder if Charlesworth is lurking.

To get the pics to show on your post here is what I do. 1. save pic on harddrive. 2.Go to upload photo at the top of this page 3. follow the directions there to upload then click the image link below and it will ask for the web page etc.

Jerry has to hide his real identity (witness protection kind of thing)!
Old 08-23-2001, 03:54 PM
Bill - Chicago
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea I need to do something to help the power to weight ratio of my 996. The PCA manual has the 996 at 315. They must have been very insightful, since that is what MY02 is rated at. My poor 99 is only 296, plus the niro bottle. I need to start looking into a 3.4 to 3.6 upgrade. Let me know when you do the 3.8, so I can keep up.
Old 08-23-2001, 06:34 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts
<STRONG>Yea I need to do something to help the power to weight ratio of my 996. The PCA manual has the 996 at 315. They must have been very insightful, since that is what MY02 is rated at. My poor 99 is only 296, plus the niro bottle. I need to start looking into a 3.4 to 3.6 upgrade. Let me know when you do the 3.8, so I can keep up.</STRONG>
Bill:

I have a 996 with a completely stock tranny. The only mods are H&R springs (on Non-030) and Fabspeed supercup exhaust (read: no 30LB mufflers)

I had the pleasure of running with Greg at VIR about a month or so ago. From the power perspective, I had no trouble keeping up with Greg so I dont think the HP is an issue. Now, if only I had that cool close ration transmission - snick-snick-snick - then I'd be in good shape.

Your 996 has plenty of power, believe me.

Chris
Old 08-23-2001, 06:50 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Chris,
Most 996's pull me fairly seriously, especially when you get up to 100mph. My aerodynamics leave something to be desired, at least when looking at top speeds.
You had no trouble keeping up anyway irregardless of power, I would never have thought that true race slicks stick that much better than Hoosier DOT's.
The RS gearbox and lightweight flywheel is just so I can stay competitive with you high hp 996 guys
Old 08-23-2001, 07:33 PM
Bill - Chicago
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris -

I am not worried about the power of the 996 as you said it has pleny. It was just an inside joke. I also have the supercup exhaust, I was one of Joe's first customers. I had his prototype model for several months before he release the really thing. Also the first year I tracked my car I was using the H&R springs. A big improvement over stock. I now have JRZs, better still, but way more expensive

You are the first person I have heard of that is running slicks on a 996. Did you have the oil kit on your car?

Bill

Old 08-23-2001, 09:18 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts
Greg -

Come on now - giving ALL the credit to the slicks?

You are correct about them. I figure the slicks are worth about 1.5 seconds @ VIR full course vs hoosiers. Hope to see you soon for the F1 race!!

Bill - no oil kit here. No real problems as there are no very long sweepers. Pressure stayed @ 4.5 or 5 except for one session when I went out with slightly low oil. But in the braking zone - ohmygod - I thought i was going to cartwheel forward with so much stoping power.

Chris
99 996
Old 08-24-2001, 10:39 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Chris Brown:
<STRONG>
Come on now - giving ALL the credit to the slicks? </STRONG>
I guess knowing the track helped a little too.

We will definetly get together in Indy. I heard they are going to do two Cup races.

I shouldn't have brought up the slicks..I hope Porsche isn't lurking.

Quick Reply: Brakes feel mushy after bleed....