Sponsored by:

8 way power seat disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 09:57 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 8 way power seat disassembly

On my last 911 (SC coupe) I had a pair of late model high backs installed. The drivers side bolster was just beginning to show the first signs of wear. In order to keep it from getting any worse I swapped the seat backs. It worked like a champ since they were universal.

It's the same story with the 993 seats.

...at least, that's what I thought.

When I removed the four 15mm bolts that hold the seat back to the bottom, it wouldn't come free. Upon further inspection, I can just barely make out what appears to be a shaft of some sort going into the bottom portion of the seat back. I then started thinking... "hmmm... these are '8 way' seats and I think my old car only had '4 way' seats."

So, I dug through my trusty factory manuals and found a bunch of info on adjusting/replacing the lifters but N O T H I N G pretaining to disassembly of the seat backs.

Does anyone have experience taking these seats apart? Is it more trouble than it's worth?

Ideas?
Old 02-05-2005, 12:32 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Bumpety Bump... still hoping to shed some light on this subject.

I want to remove the seat backs from the cushions and move the drivers side to the passengers side.

I've tried all sorts of key words and have come up with nada.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:17 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 130 Posts

I have worked on a variety of Porsche seat over the years, but have yet to come across any info about how to repair them. It really appears as though the factory just encouraged people to replace the offending seat as a whole. I do know that any work to the seat back requires the leather to be removed. My 87 Cab had power sport seats and the heating elements in the backs were fried. I did not want to have to do the whole upholstery thing... so I froze...

Best of luck in your search.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not trying to be overly forward, but if anyone cares, i have a set of black full leather 993tt seats for sale. Excellent condition, 8-way power on both sides. They are black, 'comfort' seats. let me know if anyone cares.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:50 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

I reskinned the 8 way seats from my 944, which have what I think are the same funky hinge/shaft pieces to allow the motors to move the seat back. Wish I had some specific direction to give you but I basically futzed with them til they came apart. Then futzed to get them back together. It was kind of a pain but worth it. I believe the backs to be interchangeable on the 8 way seats too.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

So I just need to "futz" with them. Got it.

Well, I increased the response to this thread by like 400% over the first time I posted it. Ed, did you have to undo the leather?
Old 02-08-2005, 01:00 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Hmmm, what I did is swap the seats left to right in their entirety. The difficulty is that the seat belt holder is attached to the track...so you have to swap the tracks by removing them off the seat and rebolted them onto the other seats. It works fine. The only real difference is that the power switches are now on the inside (right net to the console). I find this very usefull because my kids ride with me in the passenger seat and I can raise the seat witout having to reach over the entire seat. Also the tilt bar (on the partial power seats) is now on the outside of seat rather than the inside...you can snag your pants on the bar. But swapping the seats is a good thing with higher mileage cars...it balances the wear on the bolsters.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-08-2005, 01:29 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike... great idea!! I'll try it when the driver's side starts getting a bit more worn.

Hopefully your idea will work with the full power seats.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:09 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

It should work on the full power seats...in fact better since the tilt bar is power. It does require a bit of disassembly of the seat mounting system to get deep enough so it can be swapped. I worked my way through it by taking it apart piece by piece.

Really confuses people with the power switches on the inside near the console though!! ;-)

Quick Reply: 8 way power seat disassembly