Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

anyone want to talk more about this argo guy being banned?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 05:11 PM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
How about insulting Gert, Robin and Viken for a start?
Any chance of finding that? Since you can't do a Agro nickname-based search anymore, here is the first thing I found: Viken question, Agro replied

Doesn't fit well with the picture you painted
Old 10-01-2004, 05:23 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Alex,

You know man, you're right. Agro was a stand up guy who just got a bad rap because he the only one here to speak his mind. Because of that he was persecuted by the rest of us jerks.

His slot is now vacant. You appear to be a pretty good candidate to fill it.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:26 PM
JimBob Jumpback
That's Bubba Guru to you

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

iz be thinlyin dat an awfull lott of yall bein perty sensativ. now wat be wrong wit dem smilee critterz? ol JimBob likez em.

den sum peepel git offanded bout pert neer everthin. sinns ol JamBoob be da reel guroo round deez partz, i iz gonna tell yall da onlee thingy dat I c'aint be toleraytin. wit awl yalls monee ta by proch kars it dun seemz ta me dat yall prollee gotz pert gud edumacashun. Butt howz kon non of yall knowz how ta writen gooder. awl yall bubbas be needin ta uze dat spele chick - she duz a goot job. an yall start watchin yallz grammyrs.

course, Ol JimBob be thinkin dat da mosted importent part o bein part o Rennlisted iz ta be havn a cents of humoor.

Yur Fren,
JimBob
Old 10-01-2004, 05:50 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm with Mike Cap-even though he's boring holes in my old airspace. I had both pleasant PMs and felt Agro's sting in the forums. He has been banned, and not for the first time, so lets put this thread to bed, please.

Al
Old 10-01-2004, 06:22 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 993Maineiac
felt Agro's sting in the forums. He has been banned, and not for the first time, .

Al
Old 10-01-2004, 10:47 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike....

I was wondering how long it was going to be before you popped in on this thread ?

No doubt Agro walked into Rennlist with a sense of bravado, but I have to say he was outnumbered when it came to warding off the negativity. He wasn't the type to back down from a challenge and the more people took pop shots at him, the more he pushed back. It was a no win situation for everyone.

Everyone calls him an ******* ....but everyone forgets it takes one to know one......if not many.

I would like to see him back. I doubt it will happen.... but if it does, maybe we'll see a side of him we didn't see before............

Hope all of you have a good weekend - I saw my daughter off to Italy this AM to work for a year, my other daughter is at SYR U and its parents weekend, so SU vs Rutgers tomorrow and my son has hockey try-outs this evening.
Thanks for sharing the positive vibes coming from your family...no doubt you are a great-father !! Despite the boys in the NHL not playing this year, hopefully your son will produce a few of these.................
Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2004, 10:59 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Keith,

Thanks for the nice 'papa' compliment. I talked to my daughter at JFK as they were calling her flight. That was tough.

No NHL, BUT the Binghamton Senators (about an hour south) have ended up with some NHL stars as a result - my son knows who they are (Hasek?). One of my company's suppliers has six season tickets on the glass, so.....

My son Toly (Anatoly) is just twelve, but quite a good hockey player. Smart, fast and seems impervious to pain and cold. We got him at five from Kirov (Russia), so the hockey/cold must be a genetic thing. My wife and I are both Wops and like it hot and sunny. I'll show him about your 'Hat Trik' plate. He had a lot of those last hockey season. I always made sure to wear a ball cap to throw over the glass.

Take care.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:36 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JimBob Jumpback
course, Ol JimBob be thinkin dat da mosted importent part o bein part o Rennlisted iz ta be havn a cents of humoor.
Amen brother (I think...).
Old 10-01-2004, 11:42 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kdurg
I would like to see him back. I doubt it will happen.... but if it does, maybe we'll see a side of him we didn't see before............
I think that was probably the reasoning for letting him back in after the first time he got banned, for exactly the same behavior as the second time he got himself banned. So, you're thinking that it's somehow going to be different the third time around?
Old 10-01-2004, 11:50 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Henriksen
I think that was probably the reasoning for letting him back in after the first time he got banned, for exactly the same behavior as the second time he got himself banned. ?
Abso-frickin-lutey.

I'm sorry - I'm all for free speech and letting people be themselves but that capitalized "never lift" **** when applied to how someone interacts on a forum just makes things unpleasant for most folks.

And with that my answer to the "anyone want to talk more about this argo guy being banned" question is a resounding "NO!"
Old 10-02-2004, 12:04 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Alex,

You know man, you're right. Agro was a stand up guy who just got a bad rap because he the only one here to speak his mind. Because of that he was persecuted by the rest of us jerks.

His slot is now vacant. You appear to be a pretty good candidate to fill it.
Mike, I disagree. Alex is a good guy.
Alex, I disagree. Argo was an *******.
I could elaborate, but I think that should settle it.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:33 AM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nile13
Alex, I disagree. Argo was an *******.
"Et Tu Brute?"
Old 10-02-2004, 09:14 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by small
"Et Tu Brute?"
Yep. Trust me. With Argo present, _every_ thread he was in would make me cringe in anticipation of a full blown flame war just waiting to happen. The problem was his self-admitted lack of self-restrain. He had some interesting things to say, byt I would stop reading any thread with him in it just because my nervous system is not set up for that much G-load at this point in my life.
I might or might not agree with the concept of bannig people, but the community at large is better of _for me_ without Agro.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:58 PM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yep. Trust me. With Argo present, _every_ thread he was in would make me cringe in anticipation of a full blown flame war just waiting to happen. The problem was his self-admitted lack of self-restrain. He had some interesting things to say, byt I would stop reading any thread with him in it just because my nervous system is not set up for that much G-load at this point in my life.
I understand what you're saying, but what you've described is just that you don't like confrontations and to you avoiding them is more important than listening to "interesting things"(that is underestimation in my opinion). Heck, how many times I've seen absolutely brilliant, yet sometimes rude and not-really-friendly people - and let me tell you: I didn't care about lack of politeness - I tried to learn from them as much as possible. I have a lot to learn about Porsche and I know more thanks to many people here including Agro.

I might or might not agree with the concept of bannig people, but the community at large is better of _for me_ without Agro.
"Community at large" can be very dangerous and very stupid - look at what happened in Germany or in Russia during last century. Leaders (who somehow got to the power) can control and manipulate community any way they want. "This is what you want and what you need" directed to the community is one of techniques. When was the last time you listened to "The Wall"?

I'd rather look at Community as the group of Individuals - each with their opinions and way to express itself, and each following certain Community rules. Here, in 993 forum I thought the rules are build so that participants gather/exchange as much information about 993 as possible and share the experience of owning last air-cooled Porsche. NOT to make sure that every delicate soul is pleased and soothed.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:05 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sasha, I'm one of those people who can be plenty rude and direct when dispensing knowledge, provided that I feel that I have the knowledge and think that that's the best way to convey it.

However, in Agro's case the best comparison would be a guy with PhD taking a crap on a public sidewalk while explaining the theory of relativity to passersbys. I am certain that some will stop and listen because they have high level of interest in that particular subject and high tolerance to the smell of crap. Others (btw, no less knowledgeable, which is very important) would kindly ask the PhD to stop crapping on public sidewalk. After some period of back and forth the inevitable solution is to isolate the offender. A majority rule comes into play and the offender gets booted.

That's the basic theory. In this particular case, I know John D personally and I can assure you, that he hasn't got a single dictatorial bone in his body. So this was a true majority response, where community is trying to preserve itself, to which it has a perfect right. This being Internet, and all, Agro has a perfect opportunity to create his own community with his own rules, so the example of Germany or Russia doesn't really apply here.

In short, Agro got very much what was coming to him. If you'd like to understand why, please find a thread on painted calipers and read it, including my own contribution in Agro's defence. At the time I thought that he could be a valuable member of this community.

In an even shorter conclusion, let me be a brief *******. I think Agro is bad, I'm glad he is gone. That's is the truest, most egoistic and simplest thing I can say about this.

Quick Reply: anyone want to talk more about this argo guy being banned?