Sponsored by:

Cleaning Secondary Air Injection Ports to Prevent Carbon Build Up

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 08:13 PM
Rob Kwate
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cleaning Secondary Air Injection Ports to Prevent Carbon Build Up

Has anyone cleaned/flushed their secondary air injection ports? Several experts are recommending doing this as a way to prevent carbon build up, but I've never heard of anyone doing it as a DIY. My 96 993 has 38k miles and no CEL problems yet, but I want to do whatever I can to avoid them in the future. I store the car in the winter, so I plan on doing the job as soon as the snow hits. Before I start though, I want to have all the necessary parts and supplies on hand. It looks like I'll need the gaskets and hardware to re-install both heat exchangers, but will I need any other Porsche specific items? Does anyone have any tips, they want to pass on before I get started? TIA, Rob.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:48 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't spend money on something that isn't broke. My car has 51K miles, and no CEL. I'm not going to do anything special for the secondary ports until a CEL occurs.

In the meantime I do yearly LubroMoly Ventil Sauber and injector cleaner before each engine oil change. Is it effective? I don't know, but it's recommended and so far I'm OK, which is just the way I like it.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:01 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 493 Posts

I would have to agree with Jeff on this. I would not tackle this or pay someone to do it as a pevetative measure. I believe that spirited driving is the best form of preventative maintenance and have been told as much by a couple of Pcar wrenches. It would be interesting to document the driving habits of those who have had the CEL issue relating to the carbon buildup.

I threw a CEL for this problem the second day after I got my car (38k miles at the time with no track days). I reset repeatedly and then threw a light for an O2 sensor. I replaces the seonsor, reset the CEL again and have not had a light since....10 months and about 5k miles later. I will tell you that I have 11 track days since that time and hit red line on almost everydrive. Also added techron before last oil change.

Just my experience of course.

Jamie
Old 09-20-2004, 09:04 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/151499-got-my-car-back-today.html

Rob...

I had the secondary air injector valve replaced at my recent 60k service. The thread above motivated me to do it. I considered it preventative maintenance and common sense upkeep. FWIW, the valve was quite rusted and looked in need of replacement.

I don't think its good money being wasted, let's put it this way......it certainly can't hurt replacing an 8 year old part that rusts !!!!

Good Luck !!
Old 09-20-2004, 09:43 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry guys.....you're talking about sec. air ports not the valve.
My bad...two different animals here.
My reading comprehension is off the mark tonight. Please excuse.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:26 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

The only preventive measure I would think of doing is replacing the check valve. These are commonly rusty. FWIW
Old 09-20-2004, 10:37 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris walrod
The only preventive measure I would think of doing is replacing the check valve. These are commonly rusty. FWIW
B-I-N-G-O

I really do not think the "spirited driving" concept works for the carbon build up issue.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:08 PM
Rob Kwate
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Keith:

No need to apologize. That thread showed me what to do to replace the check valve. I'll do that at the same time that I clean the SAI ports. When I said that I was going to clean the ports, I meant that I myself was going to do it. The only expense should be parts and supplies. I have a lift in my garage, so I don't think it should be that difficult. I store the car for 5 months during the winter, so even if this is a bigger job than I think, it's no big deal. I enjoy working on the car as much as driving it, so I'm kind of looking forward to it. Besides, I have to justify the cost of the lift somehow. Back to my original question: Does anyone know what parts and supplies are needed and are there any tricks I should know about?
Old 09-20-2004, 11:26 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@ 32k mi... should i consider changing out the 'check-valve' ??? have not had any 'cel' issues. knock on wood...

cheers.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:29 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 24FPS
@ 32k mi... should i consider changing out the 'check-valve' ??? have not had any 'cel' issues. knock on wood...

cheers.
YES....and when you do, open up the old one!!...and take a looksy

Quick Reply: Cleaning Secondary Air Injection Ports to Prevent Carbon Build Up