Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 vs Viper

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2001, 05:20 PM
Vreracing
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had a 96 993C4, a 993TT, and now a Viper. I loved all three cars. I would have to admit though after having had the TT it would have been pretty hard to go back to the non turbo form.

My impressions were as follows:

It was a pretty solid car. It reved well. The 4 wheel drive system seemed to get in the way. It handled and drove beautifully in the rain and as you can see in this picture the snow. It attracted pretty much attention but it seemed to attract Firebirds and Camaros like flies who wanted to race.

My turbo wandered in from Southern California one afternoon. It had explosive power throughout the entire range. The turbo lag was minimal. You could test the vision of the F body cars that came up to you from behind. The second they saw the Turbo on the rear of the car they backed off immediatly. It was an awesome car. (My brother still has it in Austin) I could not get anyone to do service on it locally so I traded it for this car.

This is a 98 GTS Silver. Its power is pretty close to the Turbo. When I first drove it I expected it to drive like a big block Mustang with an incredible understeer on the corners. It turned out to have a pretty neutral handling. It does not have the feel that a Porsche has but in capable hands it can do pretty much the same thing that the TT can do. On a track it is my opinion that the non turbo would not have a chance keeping up with it.

I loved all three cars. I can't see how anyone would not enjoy owning or driving anyone of them.

The Viper is a much more difficult car to drive at the limit. I got the TT up to 145 at Texas World Speedway and coming off the big bank it was very easy to control. I don't think I would have tried it with the Viper without hours and hours of track time.

The Viper can break loose its rear wheels easily in the first three gears. Especially if you "let it rip" on a corner you'll be turned around before you realize it. Once it starts to spin there's not a thing you can do. The last third of the travel of the accelerator pedal of a Viper is what I consider the "Danger Zone". If you master it you will have one the fastest cars on the road.

My advice is to buy the car you are the most comfortable with. The Viper is a little rougher riding than the 993, but is more comfortable than the TT.

Email me if you'd like to discuss this any further or even call if you want.
Old 08-05-2001, 02:50 AM
99t1
5th Gear

Talking

Mike..buy the GTS...NOW!!! I've been a PCA member since 1982. I've had 3 Porsches and one of them had 500hp. Do you know how mush $$$ I had to put in to that car to even be competitive with a stock GTS. I think you are starting to realize about the "power stuff", but judging from some of the other posts many of you don't. I hope all of you get the opportunity to know what 8 (that's EIGHT) liters and 10 (that's TEN) cylinders feels likein the seat of your pants??? I bought a GTS in 96 based solely on looks...but I soon learned in the curves at Bridgehampton, that you can hold a martini in one hand and set a track record at the same time...the car is much easier than a 911 to drive. There is no other car on the planet that exudes more joy, rush and sex appeal than a GTS. Park a 996 next to a GTS...see what happens. No comparison. Put a 996 next to a GTS on the highway...the GTS probably won't even race you. Join the Viper Nation today but keep your subscription to Pano...still the best mag.
VCA
Old 08-05-2001, 05:09 AM
BlueGTS
2nd Gear

The 993 will never lap a road course faster than a 96 Viper GTS. You might encounter some inexperienced or unskilled driver and think otherwise but given equal driver skill, the 993 is toast. The brakes are the weak point of the Viper and the stock ones will get hot after several hard laps. There are things you can do to remedy that. And to add to what JeffC said the shocks are adjustable Konis on the regular Vipers. The first ACRs started with the externally adjustable aluminum bodied race Konis (2812). They switched to Dynamic Suspension which is the same one the Oreca Viper GTSRs use. The brakes are Brembos.
Old 08-05-2001, 10:55 AM
Sean of NJ
AutoX

Ok you all know me here . My ACR is a QUALITY car, at least as much as my 993 was. On track day I was the 2nd fastest on the track and that included all kinds of cars, M3s, 993s, and 993TTs. The guy faster than me was another ACR. The only rattle I get in my car is well, the whole car at idle since I put open headers on it in customary Sean of NJ fashion. The only downside of the Viper is the attention it gets.

Sean
Old 08-05-2001, 04:30 PM
SeanD
Instructor

Bottom Line. Get what you want.

I have not ever wanted a Viper. The two I have driven were very powerful and brutish, but not to my taste. Maybe buy one for the hell of it. Plenty of nice 993s around if you decide that it's not for you. You only live once. Have a ball!
Old 08-05-2001, 06:47 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
Mike W you didn't say if your 993 was a twin turbo or not. Buy the viper if you want a fast car compaired to the non turbo 993 big difference in hp no doubt. I would sell the non turbo 993 buy a twin turbo give Pete at Andial a call get him the car and go give the vipers hell on the track. I have seen vipers run as fast as 10.90 1/4 mile on the spray. At the viper vette shootout in texas SW's vette wins hands down 9.90 1/4 mile and drove the car to the track with the a/c now thats fa$t. All the viper guys including mr.h himself was sick as a dog after that pass.Go get a 993 twin turbo it's the best porsche ever made.
<A HREF="http://pws.prserv.net/4play/911chevy/index.html" TARGET=_blank>
SWAMP MONSTER</A>
Old 08-05-2001, 10:00 PM
98RT10
2nd Gear

Hey George,

Just a quick correction for you - there are several Vipers that have run in the nines that were at the shootout. In fact, that day, Albert ran a 9.90 @ 143 in his RT10. (on Spray).
There are many Vipers running better than 10.90 on just MOTOR. SW does have the car to beat. But come on Albert is just Heads and Cam with a shot of Gas running right there with him.

I am not familiar with Pete at Andial. But EVERY Turbo I have run into has gotten a nice view of my tial lights!

Regards,
Old 08-05-2001, 10:35 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
Martin Pete at Andial is one of the best porsche race engine builders in the us. Andial has a worldwide reputation for winning races with porsches. I have to admit the viper is a top notch machine. I just think the 993 twin turbo is a piece of art work. It's the last real porsche ever made not some (no flames please) jap design car. A porsche twin turbo 3.8L twin plug motor with a adjustable boost controller can make a lot of hp. Whatever you end up getting will be a serious car good luck in your choice. I didn't see the 9.90 pass sorry vipers guys. I guess SW's vette just stuck in my head that day it's super fa$t .

SWAMP MONSTER
Old 08-05-2001, 10:49 PM
Toronto_ACR
1st Gear

Whoever owns the 993 is dreaming if he has a better handling, a better looking, a better performing, and a more exclusive car than the Viper GTS let alone the ultra exclusive ACR. No comparison. The ACR is a killer in every respect and that includes with the ladies. The only Porsche i would even consider would be the new 911 Turbo. The rest are nothing
Old 08-06-2001, 12:35 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Hey 993 guys,

Lets all go over to the Viper board and post about the race history of our cars. Maybe we can all have 993 in our names and 1 post to our credit there.

Buy whatever damn car you want they are both pretty nice and you are lucky to be in that position.
Old 08-06-2001, 12:46 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally posted by E. J.:
<STRONG>Hey 993 guys,

Lets all go over to the Viper board and post about the race history of our cars. Maybe we can all have 993 in our names and 1 post to our credit there.
</STRONG>
E.J.,

Why would we do that? That would be stupid.
Old 08-06-2001, 01:05 AM
Chuck 98 RT/10
1st Gear

Originally posted by E. J.:
<STRONG>Lets all go over to the Viper board and post about the race history of our cars.
</STRONG>
Please do, we could use the excitement. Go to www.viperclub.org

<STRONG>
Buy whatever damn car you want they are both pretty nice and you are lucky to be in that position.</STRONG>
I'll second that!
Old 08-06-2001, 02:16 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I almost feel guilty for keeping this thread alive.

As a 993TT owner, I've always wanted a Viper, too. I still crane my neck on those lucky instances when I drive by one on the road. That low, burbly exhaust sound is magic - similar to my Ducati's V-twin with Fast by Ferraci pipes.

My only gripe about the Viper is the cost-control engineering that sneaks into its design. After seeing the latest concept car with the great brushed aluminum interior accent pieces and throttle-body-like A/C vents, my blood got pumping. Then, they went ahead and came out with that awful plastic interior - again.

Worrying about an interior may seem prissy for a race car, but I use my 993TT every day of the year - rain, snow, or whatever - and the cockpit is where I interface with the machine. Quality matters, and the Dodge engineers are certainly capable of great things. Too bad, the bean counters have as much say as they do.
Old 08-06-2001, 02:56 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anir, I was just over at the viper board, you need some sort of super "cia" permission to post, but the jist of my alleged post was that of yours, both cars are great, both do things better than the other, and when it all comes down too it...its just a matter of personal taste..Viper board refers too us has "yuppies"...my comment was, for the most part both marques are about priced the same, (tt) a bit more, but with the dealer markup over window sticker, a viper is close to 100k! so for both vipers and porsches you have to have a certain income level to obtain, and substain them
Old 08-06-2001, 07:58 AM
Sean of NJ
AutoX

To post on the viper board you must first register. It only takes like 30 seconds and we'd like to hear your comments. We're car guys and like of course like as much car-talk as possible.

Sean

p.s. I still love the 993 and am starting to appreciate the 996. I also know from experience that the 993 and Viper comparison is a bit apples to oranges. They each have different strengths.

Quick Reply: 993 vs Viper