993 vs Viper

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 04:22 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Carlos:
[QB]Criticizing their interior material or accusing them of being somehow less sophisticated makes us look like wimps and snobs. I for one am a lot more comfortable with the” drag that s.o.b.” out approach. And I think Dr. Porsche would have been too.QB]
I agree!

I think that's one (and only?) thing wrong with latest Porsches, thay have all the luxury things (even cup holders, what the F***!) you can think of, but at the same time, they've gained weight etc. For me, that not good thing.
Old 08-06-2001, 05:25 PM
98RT10
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carlos -

I actually must have missed the post where George threw down the gauntlet. But here goes, I would GLADLY give him a run! But, I am pretty sure He is not coming here and I know I am not going there. PLUS, I would send him to Texas (closer)to run Albert.

So how about a little bench racing. I can run 132 in the quarter - all motor.
I do not have gas. But if I did, I think I could count on 139 - 143. George, what are you running? Also, are you running a Porsche Block?

Regards,
Old 08-06-2001, 05:44 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Carlos and FF,

Nothing wrong with a stripped-out racer, if you plan to use the car strictly for track purposes on weekends. I hope to eventually buy another 993 (or a Viper? ) for just that purpose - much like Greg has done.

However, if you live with your car every day, like I do, you might appreciate some luxury and safety features - like ABS, rear seats, AWD, A/C, etc. I can actually share my automotive passion with my kids, which is great.

I make no apologies for wanting a sports car for a daily driver - it sure beats driving an SUV or sedan - but some creature comforts are nice.

Porsche does the best job in the world of producing a reliable and beautiful sports car that you can use and enjoy every day. One with a racing heritage, that will hold up for decades if you treat it right, and that you can pass down to your kids one day if so inclined like I am. Heirloom quality, and pretty competitive at the same time without a lot of aftermarket tinkering.

And as for all the chest thumping, I've never seen gentlemen like Jackie Stewart do this, and they are a hell of a lot better racers with better machinery than any of the amateurs on this board. Ever wonder where all the "car guy with a little *****" jokes come from? If you're really good at what you do, ...

P.S. - My car, for one, does not have cup holders, but I sure love the leather.
Old 08-06-2001, 06:47 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Flying Finn:
<STRONG>I think that's one (and only?) thing wrong with latest Porsches, thay have all the luxury things even cup holders, but at the same time, they've gained weight etc. For me, that not good thing.</STRONG>
FWIW, I just wanted to remind you that you are in the 993 forum. The air cooled 993s does not have cup holders, and the interior is pretty much like a 30 year old 911. The 996 and the Boxster is the ones with cup holder and the fancy Bimmer like interiors. Also the 996 is even lighter than the 993 even with the cup holder. But compare to the older 911s both the 993 and the 996s are much heavier.

Old 08-06-2001, 07:01 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
Well Martin you are the guy I'm looking for, I didn't want to waste time with the slugs. My car on the motor makes 500hp at the flywheel oh by the way it's a tricked out chevy V8. I guess it goes around 120 something mph in the 1/4 mile. My engine is made for the juice with a 250 to 300 shot 145 plus mph is easy and it leaves real hard, bumper dragging hard. My car is a street every day car not just a track car it weighs 3040 with a/c and driver. I think it would go faster but my transaxle would break stepping it up any more as it is I granny shift just to keep it together.
SWAMP MONSTER
Old 08-06-2001, 07:30 PM
SeanD
Instructor

The 996 and 986 have cupholders? When did that happen? My Boxster didn't! I would have LOVED to have cupholders for my coffee while I was on my way to THE SAME JOB THAT THE VIPER GUYS GO TO SO THEY CAN PAY FOR THEIR CARS.

I guess that makes me a "Yuppie". I thought the Dodge Viper was a pretty expensive car? Maybe I'm wrong but I think we can all be considered "Yuppies" based on todays definition: Young (how young is young? I'm 29) Urban (I have running water) Professional (I don't always act like it.. but yeah, at work I can be).

So again, you want a Viper Mike? Go get it. You like the 993, keep it. None of us "Virtual Friends" on the Internet are going to really sway you anyway.

Great posts though! Maybe I'll post next:

"Thinking about a mini-van, with 7 kids does it make sense to keep the 993?
Old 08-06-2001, 09:45 PM
Carlos
Banned

Give me a feakin' break. So Anir, you bought your 993 because it is a performance car with a "back seat?" Well you must have either small children or friends who are amputees. You couldn't get a normal sized human being in the back of any 911 with a 55 gallon drum of KY. And if you're telling me that you bought a 993tt for the back seat, I say this. "If your going to bull**** me, at least make it somewhat believable. Otherwise I have to call you on it or look stupid myself." If the 4 passenger aspects of the 911 or so great I guess we'll see the GT3R limo next huh?

As for the trash talking, when YOU saw Jackie Stewart, he was engaged in his profession, with a boss and sponsors to consider. So his demeanor had to reflect that. If you think that he or any other racer never talked trash, you're naive. Besides if Jackie Stewart was running his mouth, who could understand him anyway?

This is exactly the kind of stuff I was talking about. If you are opposed to racing your car, just say it. But to sit an spout this crap about how other marques are somehow inherently inferior makes us look like snobs and wimps.
Old 08-07-2001, 12:32 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

I say again for all you chuckleheads out there:
<STRONG>Lets all go over to the Viper board and post about the race history of our cars. Maybe we can all have 993 in our names and 1 post to our credit there.

Buy whatever damn car you want they are both pretty nice and you are lucky to be in that position.</STRONG>
I ask this one question: how come everytime I get out of the right seat of a viper at a DE event, my student asks me why the Porsches catch him in the turns? Is it because we have 8000 hp to go straight down the straights or is it because we have 40 years of hand built race car heritage behind us? I am not sure of the answer, but I do that I always smile when a Viper goes by me on the straight because I know that driver is going to come up to me in the paddock to ask how the hell I caught him in the turns. It happens every time.

At viper days at VIR where I instructed, I do not know the exact resultsof the two races, but will some red necked viper guy explain to me why the 993 Cup car with 320 HP AT THE CRANK did not run in dead last place against your 500 HP AT THE WHEELS vipers? He was in the middle of the pack for both races. I would think with all this viper crap being spread on my screen he would be in last place every session. I guess the really fast viper guys like to sit in front of their computers instead of their steering wheels. And please note that I am talking about real viper race cars (ain't no RT 10s in that group.)

I am done now with this BS - take your 1960's pushrod technology back to the viper board...

Maybe I should have not said that...
Old 08-07-2001, 12:53 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

deep breaths EJ......relax.,,,,,inhale,.......exhale...and once more......inhale,....exhale...and please remember....we are "yuppies", and "yuppies" do not ever break pool cues over peoples heads....or better yet..shoot with a shot gun....we "aim"......"take a deep breath" and sqeeze that trigger, and since i am just on a role with metephors...
Old 08-07-2001, 01:34 AM
brucemckenney
Track Day

E.J. Remember, the cars in the Viper Racing League must run crate motors. The Porsches that race with the Vipers in the Porsche Challenge Series are hand picked by me. Their lap times must fall WITHIN the Viper lap times. You would not have to look hard to find Porsche race cars that could dominate.
Old 08-07-2001, 02:30 AM
99t1
5th Gear

Hey EJ, fold yer collar down on that Golf shirt buddy and smell the coffee...Mr. Instructor...you also could ride with a student in a 996TT and some a__hole from NY in a rental car could be riding all over your bumper from the oak tree to the waterin hole. Yer fergettin something called "experience". You can put Bo Archer in a stock 924 and he will still come in mid pack in the race. He's just a 10 cylinder redneck like all of us.
Old 08-07-2001, 06:23 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Carlos: Give me a feakin' break. So Anir, you bought your 993 because it is a performance car with a "back seat?" Well you must have either small children or friends who are amputees. You couldn't get a normal sized human being in the back of any 911 with a 55 gallon drum of KY. And if you're telling me that you bought a 993tt for the back seat, I say this. "If your going to bull**** me, at least make it somewhat believable. Otherwise I have to call you on it or look stupid myself." If the 4 passenger aspects of the 911 or so great I guess we'll see the GT3R limo next huh?
Carlos, "this pic's for you". The pic was taken several months ago, and it's an accurate reflection of how my car looks almost every day of the year. Sorry, it doesn't meet your definition of a sports car.

Please note that I consider my 993TT a "sports" car, not a "race" car. IMO, it's difficult for a car to excel at both road and track use at the same time. A true race car is usually not well suited for daily road work, and vice versa.

I'm not opposed to "tracking" my car, and am signed up to do just that. However, I do not race others on the road, because I don't want to live with the consequences of tagging some innocent person. When I was younger, it was a different story, but I'm just plain lucky I didn't hurt someone.

You might not understand this, but gentlemen racers are not gentleman because they are forced to be (by "bosses or sponsors"), but because that is who they are. Believe it or not, you can be ferociously competitive and still carry yourself in a dignified manner. It's called being a "yuppie".

Old 08-07-2001, 06:41 AM
bilstein44
2nd Gear

Cool

For me there's no doubt, i get a 993 or nothing, are you kidding getting a viper!?sorry, i'm plastic,...allergic!
Old 08-07-2001, 08:29 AM
Carlos
Banned

My point is made. If you really enjoy riding your kids around in your 993 I have two suggestions. 1. start raisin' up a fresh crop, 'cause the current ones will soon be unable to fit into that spacious back seat. 2. employ some of the "bonsai" techniques shown on www.bonsaikitten.com on the current crop. This will provide a long term solution.

And guys, I'm on the porsche side of this issue. I think our cars ar superior in many ways. But if you're going to get into a discussion about performance, at some point the discussion will likely get to, "drag it out" or "I don't race my car." Either one is OK. But to sit and criticize the kind of nit picking things that were being talked about here, is like old women at a sewing circle. And to state that the reason for not "dragging it out" is because you're a refined, sophisticated "yuppie," is pure crap. If you're more comfortable with the group that sits and cackles like old ladies than you are with the ones who will stand up and do it that's fine too. But TRUST ME BROTHER, I AIN"T PART OF THAT GROUP.
Old 08-07-2001, 08:57 AM
993Widebody
Racer

Talking

This is the best thread the 993 board has seen since the new board was created.

LOL

Quick Reply: 993 vs Viper