yet another question for the Zaino converts

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 05:00 PM
JonT
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question yet another question for the Zaino converts

It seems that the Zaino system is a four or
even five step procedure. Are any of you convinced that the Zaino does better than, say, clay followed by 3M Pefect-It or Imperial Hand Glaze done twice, followed by
3M Show Car wax, with 3M Gloss Enhancer between each step? Susbstitute Meguires or whatever for 3M if you wish...
I'm mostly curious if the proof is in the Zaino pudding or in the fanatical application regimen.
Thanks for comments from the converts.
JonT real shiny, always seeking shinier
Old 08-02-2001, 05:07 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jon,

That's a very good question. I previously used clay, then 3M Hand Glaze, followed by Blitz wax. While I never did repeated any individual step, the shine and reflective quality never matched Zaino on my arctic silver 993TT after one application (Z-1, then Z-2).

Also, the Zaino stuff is pretty easy to wipe off compared to the 3M and One Grand products.

I'm sure great results are achievable with either system.
Old 08-02-2001, 05:42 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

jon, just put the 2nd coat of z2 on my black mettalic, AWESOME
Old 08-02-2001, 10:02 PM
JonT
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well crud. Now I gotta go spend more money on car care products. Better do the wife's car first, huh?
Old 08-02-2001, 10:52 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 343 Likes on 236 Posts
Here are my thoughts. Two things impressed me about Zaino:

1) The ease of use. I have used most of the other products over the years and for the most part, they are a lot of work. The Zaino goes on very easily, wipes off very easily and does not leave white residue, even if it has touched rubber. Nothing I have experienced is near it's ease of use.

2) The shine is brilliant. I concur with Anir, it is the best gloss/shine that I have seen on Arctic Silver.

I really like using this product. The thought of another coat of Zaino is no big deal, whereas, I would dread the thought of another coat of traditional wax. Get Z6 gloss spray for the final coat.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 08-03-2001, 12:14 AM
MarkY
Advanced

I agree with the others regarding ease of use and shine. However, I would also say that for the owners of dark cars, Zaino attracts a lot less dust.

The shine also seems to last longer than wax.

Old 08-03-2001, 09:04 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts
Smile

Hi Guys!

Considered a purchase today...questions for ya:

1. What is this stuff...their website never mentions Carnauba or other formulation?
2. Do you believe that a small business (very from the sounds of it) has out engineered and can manufacture competitively with larger polish/wax companies? Are they credible?
3. Why are you guys using Z2 (for clear coats) and not Z3 for single stage paints?

I've loved Zymol (the real stuff) for 3 years now, but it's really a pain to remove. I'm looking for something to clean up mildly oxidized paint.

TIA!
Chris C.
98 C2S Guards red with no clear coat
Old 08-03-2001, 09:22 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Chris,

"1. What is this stuff...their website never mentions Carnauba or other formulation?"
---Some sort of polymer - not traditional wax.

"2. Do you believe that a small business (very from the sounds of it) has out engineered and can manufacture competitively with larger polish/wax companies? Are they credible?"
---Apparently and quite surprisingly, the Zaino company has managed to create a nice niche for itself among high-end enthusiasts. I had a hard time buying into the hype myself until I tried the stuff, based largely on Greg "I can bleed faster than you" Fishman's recs.

"3. Why are you guys using Z2 (for clear coats) and not Z3 for single stage paints?"
--- As I understand it, my arctic silver does have a clear coat. Some Porsche paints (? white) apparently do not.

"I've loved Zymol (the real stuff) for 3 years now, but it's really a pain to remove. I'm looking for something to clean up mildly oxidized paint."
---I'm not sure if Zaino can restore a damaged finish. According to their promos, none of their products contain any abrasives.

Try it. At worst, you'll lose $20. I bet "you'll like it, Mikey".
Old 08-05-2001, 11:46 AM
Sean of NJ
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put a coat of zaino on one major section of my car about once a week. I'm going for that deep 10 coat look and I think I'm there. I actually ENJOY putting this stuff on :P
Old 08-06-2001, 07:50 PM
Bob - 95 993/C2
Instructor

Cool

Like others, I found it puts a great shine on dark colors (Miatas/yellow and Merlot and E-Type Jag/Resale Red) but I needed something to bring the white 95/993 some shiney life so I've got about 6 coats of z2 on top of the single coat of z1. I like what it is doing but as a polymer adds deapth, it also highlights any flaws that might have been in the paint before "Z." For that reason, I cleaned and clayed the car real well. But stuff shows that did not in my "3m" daze....

Now, while the shine is good, on this light color, frankly Dri-Wash n' Guard shines just as well. So the F-250 and Corvette (both white too) get the DWG and the 993 the "Z."

I should also add that here in FL our State bird is not only a noisey thing but loves the berries on the holy tree right outside my garage. The crappola from that bird readily penetrates Zaino where it does not any other product I've used. So...use it, love it, stay outta' Florida and if you must be here, avoid holly trees and the State bird!
Old 08-07-2001, 12:01 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

I just washed my 993 with the zaino car wash!..after 2coats of z2, and 4 coats of the gloss enhancer, water would not even stay on the car!!The car wash is really really concentrated, and smells good too!I use rain ex on the windsheild, well the that is how the water ran off the car....just beaded up and left!....pretty amazing...and the results.looks like i did a z2 coat!!!AWSOME
Old 08-16-2001, 10:34 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

This may be a naive question but here goes. As i look over the Zaino website and order form i see their product described numerous times as "polish." But nowhere do i see any mention of "wax."
So does the Zaino product when applied offer a level of protection (what a wax should do) to the cars paint. And if so, how dependable is this protection as oppossed to simple quality of shine?
Thanks again.

Quick Reply: yet another question for the Zaino converts