Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to drill for inboard harness lap belt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 11:49 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts
Post Where to drill for inboard harness lap belt?

I'm getting ready to install my harnesses, and am not 100% sure of where I want to drill my holes on the tunnel. E.J. was nice enough to send me pictures of his install; he mounted his to the floorboard behind the seat, along with the sub belts. So far I've determined:

I'd like to get it close in line with the outboard factory mount, but it has to be behind my pushed back evo 2 seat.

From underneath the car, the backing plate has to be far enough forward to clear the tranny stabilizer mount(?)

Any suggestions? Anyone know where the factory puts the mounts for the cup cars? Anyone have any pictures?

Thanks!
David
Old 06-17-2002, 01:11 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Biggest suggestion: do an archive check to get ideas.

On my 993 (8-way power seats), there is a semi-vertical reinforcing metal plate approx. across from the outboard lower mount below the seat rail. I drilled a hole & installed the belt eyebolt there.
Old 06-17-2002, 01:45 AM
993Widebody
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was looking into this I couldn't find much info in the archives... Hopefully someone will give you a detailed description of what they did. This really calls for a DIY on P-Car as many of us have/will install race seats for DE/Club race events.
Old 06-17-2002, 07:49 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Ray, I couldnt figure out how to get into the tunnel once I drilled the hole. That is why I drilled in the floor. Do you access the inside of the tunnel from under the car or inside?

I removed all the trim inside and still couldnt get into the tunnel.

E. J.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:10 AM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Ray, I checked the archives, but didn't find anything detailed there. Do you remember where your backing plate ended up in relation to the u-shaped transmission stabilizer mount underneath the car?. My seat sits pretty far back so I'm trying to figure how to get the eye bolt far enough back, without running into this

EJ, From under the car, there's a long, skinny metal tray that has to come off to access the inside of the tunnel.

David
ps--I'm going to try and get a look at a cup car to see where the factory mounts them. I'll try and take pics to make a diy.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:38 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

[quote]Originally posted by David Edwards:
<strong>EJ, From under the car, there's a long, skinny metal tray that has to come off to access the inside of the tunnel.</strong><hr></blockquote>

All that time we talked about this and now you tell me...

E. J.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:32 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

The whole time we talked about it I thought you couldn't figure out how to get around the stuff I'm trying to figure out how to get around, up in the inside of the tunnel. It never dawned on me that your obstacle was actually getting inside the tunnel. I've got access to digital camera now, so I'll try and post some pictures when I do it.

David
Old 06-18-2002, 11:37 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Since obviously you modern generation computer-bred numnuts can't do anything without a 1GB treatise loaded with 100 3D 66K color pictures, you forced me to tear up my carpeting to show you what I did.

The eyebolt is mounted on the side of the tunnel directly across from the OE outboard lower 3-point harness mount. The blurry grey thingie to the left is the seat cushion; the seat is moved fully forward and the seatback is folded forward. The area at 9:00 on the photo just off the edge of the washer is an access hole in the tunnel mount (came with the car; I did NOT have to cut anything except for the hole for the eyebolt stud); with some dexterity you can install the nut that screws into the back of the eyebolt through this access hole.

To access the indicated area, you have to pull up the floor carpeting piece just in front of the rear seat, then pry up the noise insulation in the floor. Then you gotta pull up the side carpeting and noise insulation for access to the indicated area. Have fun; this stuff is really stuck down.

How did I find out about this method? By helping a friend with his installation; we dug and studied till we figured out this way. No dopey forum help needed!!!!!

Little Perry Mason/Allie McBeale warning: you follow this method at your own risk - I'm not formally advocating it.

Old 06-20-2002, 05:13 PM
PeanutinCA
Pro

Question

Ray,
I pulled my carpet up last night, as I'm about to install. That picture you show, that's not actually into the tunnel (where you would have to remove the trays underneath the car to access). That is into the seat mount sheet metal, is it not? As in, it's all part of the seat mount panel/sheet metal that is welded to the floor pan? So you can actually attach the washer and nut to the back from inside the car. Not having to get underneath. I would guess this is a sufficient mounting point for the belt but does anyone else think otherwise? correct me if I'm completely wrong but this is directly opposite the outer belt mounting point.

Thanks,
Ready to drill Dylan.

Quick Reply: Where to drill for inboard harness lap belt?