993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Sticky clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 04:57 PM
J Stewart
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 993 Sticky clutch pedal

Have 95 993C2 40K miles. Clutch pedal had been sticking and not returning fully. Recently changed fluid, slave and master cyls. Response is better, but still the pedal at times has maybe 1/2" travel. I usually pull it up with my foot. What could be causing this?
Old 11-14-2001, 05:22 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face

Take the driver side floorboard up and look hard at the pedal pivot points. See if have corrosion. Have heard of this causing such a problem; do an archive search.
Old 11-14-2001, 05:44 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
J Stewart:

Ray gives some good advice. I have had the same problem. If you have access to the service bulletins, they mention something about a redesigned part that fixes your problem. I found that the dust cover (rubbery accordion-like sheath) was torn and had allowed debris to build up on the input master cylinder shaft. I cleaned lubricated and sealed mine, which helped. If yours is new, then you probably don’t have that problem. Usually, a faulty clutch slave cylinder or one that needs to be bled causes the problem you describe. I would try bleeding first. Do you hear a loud clicking sound when depressing the clutch with the car off? That is usually a sign of slave cylinder problems. I think the regular service manuals or the PET references the new part for the clutch assembly.

If you are having problems getting your car out of gear as you roll to a stop, that is another problem that has been discussed here recently. My car had that problem too. I had to blip the throttle to make the transmission go too neutral while rolling to a stop with the clutch depressed.

Hope this is somewhat helpful,

Hank Cohn
Old 11-14-2001, 05:47 PM
J Stewart
Intermediate

Thnaks Hank - have not had the problem w/ disenguaging the gears. Will look at the shaft as suggested. EJ's page has a nother type of fix. What is this new part i see referenced??
Old 11-14-2001, 05:53 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

J Stewart:

I am not sure about the part and could be thinking about another subsystem. Others on this list have successfully fixed this problem and will surely chime in soon.

Hank
Old 11-14-2001, 06:07 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by J Stewart:
<STRONG>EJ's page has another type of fix</STRONG>

Glad to help but not sure about which page you are referring to. Maybe you are thinking about Robin's site - it is easy to get us mixed up.

E. J.
Old 11-14-2001, 06:22 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello,

Contact Pete @ Andial. He can tell you about the "kinematic" update. Says they've never had a car come back with a sticking pedal since they started installing the update.

Haven't had the update installed on my car (no need) ... just passing along information.

http://www.andial.com/

Hank, did you get your sticking-in-gear problem fixed?
Old 11-14-2001, 08:19 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Randall:

The answer to your question is yes and no. I wrecked that car and the insurance company totaled it. Now I have another '95 993. It has the sticky clutch, but the transmission is O.K. for now.

Thanks for asking,

Hank
Old 11-14-2001, 10:35 PM
variable
Advanced

I have a similar problem with my car. The clutch sometimes "pops" during last bit of travel. It hasn't bothered me very much, so I haven't done anything about it. Should I? If I leave it, will it lead to more serious problems? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:11 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Hank,

Wow ... sorry to hear about your old car. Well, at least you're okay and you have another 993.

Suppose your old car is currently serving as an organ donor, helping keep other 911s alive .
Old 11-15-2001, 08:51 AM
John W
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi,
the updated pedal lever mentioned is part No 993-423-519-03, and is not expensive.

I bought mine from Gert ages ago, but as yet don't have enough room in the garage to fit the thing.

With a bit of luck I should have a double length, double width garage before christmas though

Cheers,
John.
Old 11-15-2001, 11:28 AM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by variable:
<STRONG>I have a similar problem with my car. The clutch sometimes "pops" during last bit of travel. It hasn't bothered me very much, so I haven't done anything about it. Should I? If I leave it, will it lead to more serious problems? Thanks in advance.</STRONG>

Variable:

I do not believe that is a slave cylinder issue. I would listen for the telltale squeeking when the engine is warm and you step on the clutch.

I would check out Robin's site (www.p-car.com) and look at cleaning the piston as Robin describes. It is common to see the tear on the boot that covers the piston, and therefore, dirt on the piston. This could help those last inches of travel.
Old 11-15-2001, 05:19 PM
Griffin Brown
Advanced

J Stewart:
I had identical symptoms to yours. Get the new "kinematic" fix. It is in the Porsche manuals that your mechanic has. Clutch is now perfect.
Old 11-15-2001, 08:07 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Griffin and John W:

I stopped by the Porsche dealer tonight to check out the GT2. I ordered the new clutch lever part. I think it was $69. It will be in next week and I will post results as soon as I install it. Thanks for the part number. It was spot on!

Hank Cohn
Old 11-17-2001, 01:01 AM
JohnS
1st Gear

Hi - thanks all for replying. No offense Robin for crediting EJ! You are both very helpful... My mechanic keeps telling me the cylinders need to be bled again. I am sure the problem is this dirt buildup. I can push the pedal in just 1/2", and it will hang up. But when I am driving, it seems not to hang up - i guess b/c of the upward force of the pedal returning is enough to overcome the stickiness....also wil check out this kinematic part or whatever..anyway - Limrock tomorrow! Last CVR DE for '01!!!!

Quick Reply: 993 Sticky clutch pedal