Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Toyota LandCruiser: Good Purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 02:04 PM
SeanD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow OT: Toyota LandCruiser: Good Purchase?

It seems like we all have the same tastes in vehicles (ie: BMW 530i, 993). My '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee has about had it. I've spent way to much money keeping it running to only drive it for surf trips and pulling the boat.

Anyone have any feedback on a '95-'96 Toyota Landcruiser/Lexus LX450? I will use it to pull my boat (22' Sea-Ray) on the weekends and for surf trips up and down the East Coast. Maybe a few long distance trips to Atlanta or South Carolina.

1. How is the pulling power?
2. How does it drive on the freeway? (my Jeep was terrible.. loose steering and would wander alot)
3. How is the reliability. I know that Toyota is know for quality product, but I've never owned a Japanese auto. German and American thus far.

Any gotchas? Some common ailments to look out for.

I know this is not the right forum to post this so if anyone knows of a Toyota forum and can post it here then I will high-tail it to the right place.

Thanks!

Sean
Old 11-15-2001, 02:40 PM
RS3.8
Intermediate

Ask 993TT, he has a silver landcruiser,seems to love it as a second tank!
Old 11-15-2001, 02:46 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Sean,
I am towing my 993 with Toyota Tacoma V6 with the factory supercharger. I can speak for the reliability, bullet proof.

Chris Brown is towing his 996 with a Lexus SUV. I will e mail you his e mail info.
Old 11-15-2001, 02:54 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally posted by SeanD:
<STRONG>It seems like we all have the same tastes in vehicles (ie: BMW 530i, 993). My '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee has about had it. I've spent way to much money keeping it running to only drive it for surf trips and pulling the boat.

Anyone have any feedback on a '95-'96 Toyota Landcruiser/Lexus LX450? I will use it to pull my boat (22' Sea-Ray) on the weekends and for surf trips up and down the East Coast. Maybe a few long distance trips to Atlanta or South Carolina.

2. How does it drive on the freeway? (my Jeep was terrible.. loose steering and would wander alot)
3. How is the reliability. I know that Toyota is know for quality product, but I've never owned a Japanese auto. German and American thus far.

I know this is not the right forum to post this so if anyone knows of a Toyota forum and can post it here then I will high-tail it to the right place.

Thanks!

Sean</STRONG>
Those cars are great, my uncle has a 1996 LX450 and he loves it. The car is bone stock except for chromed Land Cruiser rims (he didn't like that line down the center of each spoke on the Lexus wheels), the car has performed flawlessly and he drives it from the heart of Los Angeles to the valley and back. It's got a great interior and driving it is pretty comfortable and controlled, but parking and tight spaces are a little tough.

later,

amir
Old 11-15-2001, 03:03 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I have driven but not owned both the latest Land Cruiser with the V-8 and the previous model with the inline 6. The new model is very nice with a cushy ride. The older model is not as powerful but should be sufficent if you are not towing up hills or long distances. They both ride and track well. I would guess that they are fairly reliable but expensive to fix if they break. Do a search on the internet as I am sure there are forums, www.edmunds.com also has a forum that might give you some indication of their reliability.
What ever you do don't get a 4runner, they don't have enough power to get out of their own way.
Greg
Old 11-15-2001, 03:03 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by SeanD:
<STRONG>It seems like we all have the same tastes in vehicles (ie: BMW 530i, 993). My '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee has about had it. I've spent way to much money keeping it running to only drive it for surf trips and pulling the boat.

Thanks!

Sean</STRONG>
I would take a good look at the Expedition. Granted it does not have the luxurious feel of the Lexus, it is a great addition to my fleet (95 993 and 01 540). It is a very comfortable car and I am not too distraught when my wife dents it. A lot of room for gear, and in my opinion, a cheap car to own given that I have had no problems with the 3 I've leased.
Old 11-15-2001, 03:32 PM
richfitz
Intermediate

Thumbs up

I have a 96 LX450 and it has been a great long hauler.

I am based in Denver and in the last two years it has made 4 non stop, return trips to Vegas and one to the East coast. Hasn't failed me yet (see pic of us is barren Utah).

The only problem was the stock Lexus shocks were way to soft and tilt the car too much in a high speed turns. I complained to Lexus about this and they replaced them with stock Landcruiser shocks at no charge (under warrenty). Rides great now.

This model of the Landcruiser is built alot tougher than the current version which was designed from the outset to be a luxary SUV.
For example the L450 has 6 lugs per wheel but the new LX470 has just 5. It is also the choice of wealthy terroists in Afganistan .

Power is decent for a 6 cyl at 1 mile above sea level, but I am looking to add a TRD supercharger ($3300) to help get up the hills faster during ski season.
Old 11-15-2001, 03:38 PM
richfitz
Intermediate

Thumbs up

I have a 96 LX450 and it has been a great long hauler.

I am based in Denver and in the last two years it has made 4 non stop, return trips to Vegas and one to the East coast. Hasn't failed me yet (see pic of us is barren Utah).

The only problem was the stock Lexus shocks were way to soft and tilt the car too much in a high speed turns. I complained to Lexus about this and they replaced them with stock Landcruiser shocks at no charge (under warrenty). Rides great now.

This model of the Landcruiser is built alot tougher than the current version which was designed from the outset to be a luxary SUV.
For example the L450 has 6 lugs per wheel but the new LX470 has just 5. It is also the choice of wealthy terroists in Afganistan .

Power is decent for a 6 cyl at 1 mile above sea level, but I am looking to add a TRD supercharger ($3300) to help get up the hills faster during ski season.
Old 11-15-2001, 03:40 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I own a 93 Land Bruiser. It is a superb vehicle and I highly recommend it. The engineering is impressive, the reliability is legendary, and the fit and finish is (are?) topnotch. It has adequate power, but I would not want to tow over a mountain pass-- a v-8 would be better. The ride on the freeway is firm but stable.
Old 11-15-2001, 03:51 PM
SeanD
Instructor

Rich,

Regarding your swap out of the stock Lexus shocks for the stock LandCruiser shocks: Do you think it would be better to purchase a LandCrusher.. er Cruiser over the LX450? The price is about the same for either and I was thinking about getting the Lexus just due to the fact that they come loaded with everything versus having to guess which options the LandCruiser has on the different ones I'm looking at. Besides it's just so much COOLER to say Lexus vs. Toyota. (Just kidding)

If it makes better sense to get a Landcruiser for the firmer ride, perhaps that is the better choice?

Sean
Old 11-15-2001, 07:28 PM
richfitz
Intermediate

Lightbulb

The LX450 has slightly nicer styling, better sound system and noticeably better leather.

By changing just the shocks and not the springs (which are also different) the ride is firm but just a tad more comfortable than a stock "brusier".

I went with the Lancruiser shocks because the price was right (i.e. nothing), however if I had to do it out of warranty then I would replace them with a really good aftermarket brand like "old man emu"

Here is a cool Landcruiser aftermarket dealer in Colorado. Check out the Supercharger if you intend to tow lots-
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/
Old 11-16-2001, 01:46 AM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now your talkin my language! My winter convertable is a 1982 FJ40. Bulletproof. Our floater car is the 1985 FJ60. Bulletproof under 70 with more room. Wifey's was the 94 FJZ80. She put 154K (bought at 70K). Bulletproof. All three have basically the same 6 cyl engine, the 80 being injected and easy to steer at 90mph with one finger. GREAT RIG. Stay away from 91,92, FJ80, Grab a 94 0n up. All are tremendous four wheel drive rigs. Solid front axels. Also stay away from the Lexus, IMO, have heard and seen bad things. As for towing, I use my 2000 F350 CC with power stroke - nothing else needs to be said. I suppose you can try - just stay within the guidelines. We also have the 2001 FJZ100 - for the money I would go with the big Ford or even a cadillac? Basically, I am pissed at Toyota for what they have done to us here in the states. 90 percent of profits and ten percent of sales. The new LC are, well, like a cayenne is to a 993, or maybe a 996 is to a 993, I don know. But go figure - 25 models of LC's to choose from at Toyota.australia and 1 here!! Hey - are there any 993's in Australia? Bottom line - Toyota Land Cruisers are pretty darn reliable and they won't be making them for much longer---
Old 11-16-2001, 04:23 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 382 Likes on 223 Posts
I was sort of in the same situation- and went looking for an F150/250. We ended up getting an X5 4.4 which I argued strenuously against- because I thought it meant getting rid of a perfectly decent 528i- and I thought it was just too much money.

I would have to now say that I'm incredibly impressed with the x5- it tows like a dream and handles with an uncanny ability for something so high. And we kept the 528. If you like BMWs I would urge you to consider the x5- I think its worth the $.
Old 11-16-2001, 05:08 PM
SeanD
Instructor

Wink

Well it looks like the Landcruiser/LX450 is the way to go. No offense to American car/truck owners but I will never buy american again. They just don't hold up. This is coming from someone who only bought American trucks and German sedans/sports cars. Everything on my Jeep keeps breaking. JUst ranting here as I got an estimate for repairs about 10 mins ago. Anyway, I'm going to sit on it for the holiday week and see how I feel about spending another $1000 on a Jeep worth $5500 or spending $20K on a Toyota that should last long. Ah well

Sean
Old 11-16-2001, 06:26 PM
Cus
Intermediate

I imported a Landcruiser Colorado from The Netherlands last year and have been really impressed with the build quality and ride.It pulls anything (3.0 ltr diesel)but is incredibly smooth as well.We tried a Cherokee but found it too soft although it has more toys.The Toyota is great on the highway or around town and I would definately have another one.Don't know what the 95-96 model is like but I imagine much the same.Happy hunting.

Quick Reply: OT: Toyota LandCruiser: Good Purchase?