Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have to pay tax on a 993 purchased out of my state?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 04:27 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Do I have to pay tax on a 993 purchased out of my state?

I just realized something.... if I purchase a 993 out of my home state and have it trucked in, I probably dont have to pay tax on it, do I? This is about a $3k discovery on my part if true.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:30 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 396 Posts

When you re-title in your state I am almost certain they will charge you sales tax. That is the way it is on Ohio.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:32 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dream on - you will pay SOMETHING - call it what you want. Even if your in Oregon you may not pay on the car but your property taxes will make up for it. You give no indication of where you are, but if you check with your states DMV you will find out that it was just a dream!
Old 08-27-2004, 04:34 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

You will get credit for paying in the state where you buy it, from the state where you register it. So, if you are buying it in California, and registering it in NH, then don't pay the tax. Check to make sure you aren't paying a higher rate than you will in the state where you will eventually register, which will be the highest you will have to pay.

Chuck
Old 08-27-2004, 04:35 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when we bought the 993 from California, We had to pay California sales tax... but here in Illinois to title it, we just had to show proof of how much tax we paid... If the CA sales tax was less, we would have had to pay the difference... but since CA sales tax was about $480 MORE expensive, it was a wash and there was NO Illinois tax to pay.

Each state is different and you'd have to check on your own state and where you buy it.

Some states do not charge sales tax if you are shipping out of state like Texas (we bought a Diesel truck in Dallas and paid no sales tax until getting back home to Illinois to register ie).. BUT Florida and California make you pay sales tax in their state and if you are unfortunate enough to live in a state that makes you pay again, you COULD end up being double taxed
Old 08-27-2004, 04:36 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I just realized something.... if I purchase a 993 out of my home state and have it trucked in, I probably dont have to pay tax on it, do I? This is about a $3k discovery on my part if true.
I'm laughing so hard I almost wet my pants. Like any state isn't going to make sure they bone their residents on transaction like this. As John says, "Dream On!"
Old 08-27-2004, 04:37 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 943 Likes on 571 Posts

If your state has a rule like CA, the car must enter the home state no sooner than 90 days after taking delivery to qualify for the sales tax exemption. The guy who could tell you for sure is Phil, or your nearest DMV office. Meanwhile, I offer to drove ;-) your car around for 90 days if it helps. You know, just to get the kinks out and keep the seals moist.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:41 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I bought a NEW vehicle out of CA and only paid my state's taxes. The rule may be different for used cars, I am guess...
Old 08-27-2004, 04:41 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
I'm laughing so hard I almost wet my pants. Like any state isn't going to make sure they bone their residents on transaction like this. As John says, "Dream On!"
its not so straightforward Mike.... wet your pants all you want, it varies by state and regulation... from my attorney friend sitting next to me here is saying, for instance, if you purchase a car that is listed on the web by a dealer in California, as long as the car is put on a truck and shipped here there is no sales tax...has to do with California law vs. TX , etc. I am trying to call DMV to get down to the bottom of it... You are probably right though, I am sure I will have to end up paying something at somepoint...may not be at point of sale, could be later at registration, etc. Sucks...
Old 08-27-2004, 04:42 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

IIRC, if you buy the car in a state with no sales tax, register and keep it there for 90 days, you may be able to get around it. Then again, this may be different than a motor home purchase. I say this because my inlaws bought a motorhome in Arizona, kept it there for 90 days (in storage), then brought it into Calif and registered it without paying sales tax. HHMMM..

I thought this also when looking for my car, but ended up buying about 15 miles from my house and bit the bullet...
Old 08-27-2004, 04:43 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you are a resident of Texas and assuming you have not previously paid a Texas sales tax on the vehicle, you'll be assessed Texas sales tax at 6 1/4% of the total consideration paid for the vehicle in order to get it registered. You can get credit against that amount for a trade-in and/or sales taxes paid in another state.

At least that's what my 3 min of pro bono net searching reveals. Maybe your attorney "friend" sitting next to you will move his butt & spend a few min more to get you a better answer. This isn't brain surgery.

Texas Motor Vehicle Sales & Use Tax

Last edited by Dan 96C2 St.Louis; 08-27-2004 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:48 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
its not so straightforward Mike.... wet your pants all you want, it varies by state and regulation... from my attorney friend sitting next to me here is saying, for instance, if you purchase a car that is listed on the web by a dealer in California, as long as the car is put on a truck and shipped here there is no sales tax...has to do with California law vs. TX , etc. I am trying to call DMV to get down to the bottom of it... You are probably right though, I am sure I will have to end up paying something at somepoint...may not be at point of sale, could be later at registration, etc. Sucks...
It is not straightforward and I didn't say it was. The sales tax laws are confusing and ambiguous beyond belief. I'm laughing at you even having a passing thought that you would be able to register a motor vehicle in any state in the US w/o paying sales tax, either in the state you live or the state you purchased it in.

If you want an example of how far reaching the state tax departments go, a quick example. I bought my last airplane in 1998 from a private owner in Mass. The ONLY paperwork required was my check to him, a bill of sale back and a form to the FAA for re-registration to the FAA in Oklahoma. Six months later I get a bill from the NYS Department of Taxation for five figures for the "privilege" of using the airplane in NYS.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:51 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Some scenarios for tax savings:
The car was a "gift"
Sales price is low-tax is low
Register vehicle in lower tax state

I think the second one is popular. Dont know personally
Old 08-27-2004, 04:57 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

I bought a car in California, and shipped it to Ohio, and only paid Ohio tax. Once, I bought a car in Oregon (no tax), kept it registered for a few years, then moved to Pennsylvania, and had to pay tax (albeit on a then lower value car) in Pa. Each of these states, as well as Michigan list on the title what tax was paid. If there is a question for any individual state, that might be a thing to check.

Chuck
Old 08-27-2004, 05:03 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

oh yeah... I forgot to mention that the 993 was physically picked up and driven home to Illinois... and had California plates on it for the drive home... so I'm positive that had a lot to do with why tax in CA was paid.. LOL

..BUT trucking it would have been more expensive and it was a fun drive home!!!

Quick Reply: Do I have to pay tax on a 993 purchased out of my state?