Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have to pay tax on a 993 purchased out of my state?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 09:57 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have faith in Dan's legal prowess. I'm in for a grand also Agroa$$hole.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:36 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I would bet my 401k and retire early....
Old 08-31-2004, 10:52 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

lets have the escrow account set-up with Dan's legal firm - I will pay pal $1k the same day Agroa$$hole agrees to match it.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:54 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Okay, I missed the internet stock market bubble, but I'm in on this one!
Old 08-31-2004, 10:54 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Im not a lawyer, but Dan from the few times i needed advice, Dan was helpful, generous, gracious, and informed. Since it is political season: 'Dan is the man'

More seriously, Im a sorry to see a thread like this degenerate to people calling others "class-less", etc. Obviously, no one likes to pay taxes, especially on buying expensive used cars, and it is unfortunate that various state laws encourage 'creative' measures - (i.e. in nys if u trade a car into a dealer then u only pay tax on the difference between the sales, but if you sell ure car privately and buy another, then u get zero credit for the sale).

That said, my vote is to just answer people's questions and reserve judgement on their morality, manners, etc. If you find the question offensive, then perhaps, do not reply. Just my thought. Hope everyone had a great summer.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:09 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yup, my money is on Dan.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:28 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Rob
You are completely correct. These threads should not degenerate the way they do on occasion. You may notice that the same person is a participant in almost every one of these squabbles. Many people on this board have had "virtual" run-ins with Agro. I am one of them. Up to this point, every time I have read one of his mean-spirited and rude comments to others, I have simply ignored it. Now Dan has finally come up with a way to, as he puts it - "Put his money where his mouth is". I salute this attempt to show Agro for who he is: a crass obnoxious coward who feels that the anonymity of the internet allows him to treat others with a tremendous lack of civility.

Last edited by akolodesh; 08-31-2004 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:35 AM
Agro1
Banned

Rob - Good point, however Dan and many others on this board like to "show off" their economic status by owning a Porsche, and now by making dip**** comments like this:
Originally Posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
Time to back up your mouth with your wallet.

Originally Posted by adsc4s
My statement was clearly based on your lack of manners.
You are a moron.
No Addison, morons use the word "class" in reference to someone's manners, like you. I'd rather you just call me an ******* - at least that'd be accurate .

Dan - Why would I want to do something so foolish ?? Then I might loose my ability to **** you off - couldn't have that . But in typical lawyer fashion, you answer a question with a question. I have no problem being proven wrong, but I'm not stupid enough to wager a grand on it.
I find it very hard to believe that a state will allow a normal resident with no special needs/circumstances, to register their vehicle in another state, and operate it in the state where they reside, indefinitely. Remember, I never said I knew I was 100% right, but you said I was 100% wrong. Yes I made a generalized statement, so, prove me wrong.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:11 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Agro, do you like Angelina Jolie?

http://files.redvsblue.com/NYC2/RvB_NYC2.mov
Old 08-31-2004, 12:29 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Robert,

That was the funniest and most accurate description of internet use I have ever seen. Just brilliant!
Old 08-31-2004, 01:28 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, I can't read this entire flame war, but from what I skimmed here, I didn't see the following scenario mentioned. When bringing an out-of-state-purchased car into VA you have to pay I think 3% of what the state says the car is worth unless you have a bill of sale stating you paid less. Silly me. I had a bill of sale saying I paid $17k for my '87 Carrera, which was true, but it was handwritten. VA DMV says the car was worth $19.9k. No f'ing way I was gonna pay sales tax on more than I the actual purchase price. The nice lady at DMV said that unless I had the sales price on one of their own DMV bill of sale forms, they would not take my word for it. Then she handed me a blank bill of sale form, quietly told me to go outside the building and fill in whatever I wanted, have someone sign for the seller, come back to her booth and that would suffice. Gotta love it. I think I put down $10k just to get back at VA for this BS.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:30 PM
Agro1
Banned

Still waiting Dan...

Here's the MV code(s) for your state:

"Application for registration of a motor vehicle not previously registered in Missouri, operated for the first time on the public highways of this state, and previously registered in another state shall be made within thirty days after the owner of such motor vehicle has become a resident of this state. "
http://www.moga.state.mo.us/statutes...3010000100.HTM

"If the director of revenue learns that any person has failed to obtain a certificate within thirty days after acquiring a motor vehicle or trailer or has sold a vehicle without obtaining a certificate, he shall cancel the registration of all vehicles registered in the name of the person, either as sole owner or as a co-owner, and shall notify the person that the cancellation will remain in force until the person pays the delinquency penalty fee provided in this section, together with all fees, charges and payments which he should have paid in connection with the certificate of ownership and registration of the vehicle"
http://www.moga.state.mo.us/statutes...3010000190.HTM

Illinois:

"(625 ILCS 5/3‑405) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 3‑405)
Sec. 3‑405. Application for registration.
(a) Every owner of a vehicle subject to registration under this Code shall make application to the Secretary of State for the registration of such vehicle upon the appropriate form or forms furnished by the Secretary. Every such application shall bear the signature of the owner written with pen and ink and contain:
1. The name, bona fide residence..."
http://www.legis.state.il.us/legisla...ehicle+Code%2E

Still waiting...
Old 08-31-2004, 02:37 PM
Agro1
Banned

Originally Posted by akolodesh
Rob
You are completely correct. These threads should not degenerate the way they do on occasion. You may notice that the same person is a participant in almost every one of these squabbles. Many people on this board have had "virtual" run-ins with Agro. I am one of them. Up to this point, every time I have read one of his mean-spirited and rude comments to others, I have simply ignored it. Now Dan has finally come up with a way to, as he puts it - "Put his money where his mouth is". I salute this attempt to show Agro for who he is: a crass obnoxious coward who feels that the anonymity of the internet allows him to treat others with a tremendous lack of civility.
Alex - Yes, Dan's attempt to quash my isolence is very novel - a bet...WOW - that took some serious thoought Much better, however, than you threats to show up at my house and challange me to a boxing match. Get a life you putz

And for the record - Dan has yet to prove me wrong...Still researching Dan ??
Old 08-31-2004, 03:34 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Default Ah, the "get a life" putdown.....

Originally Posted by akolodesh
a crass obnoxious coward who feels that the anonymity of the internet allows him to treat others with a tremendous lack of civility.
once again, you prove my point dip$hit
Old 08-31-2004, 04:28 PM
Agro1
Banned

Alex - I thought I was on your ignore list ?? Couldn't resist could ya ?? And the only point you have to make is I'm an obnoxious *******, which everyone knows - so do you have anything intelligent to say or were you just stating the obvious as usual ??
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Do I have to pay tax on a 993 purchased out of my state?