993 Forum 1995-1998

Shop recommendation in Northern VA

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 01:21 PM
mnhead
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shop recommendation in Northern VA

Does anyone have a good Porsche shop they can recommend in NVA? I just bought a 96' C4S and wanted to get to know a good shop in NVA to get aquainted with. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Mark
Old 08-16-2004, 01:34 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the sick NoVA club. We'll have your engine out in no time. Just reinstalled a 993 engine this past Sat. No shortage of help here. Where do you live? I'm near the Springfield Metro. There are soooo many Porsche shops here and most have stories. Only one I trust is RPM in Newington and I only use them for alignments, DIY the rest. I'll see what other recommendations youget here and may PM you if any are the really bad ones. Also, ASG in Merrifield is another excellent shop I would trust, but they are usually very busy and RPM is closer to my house.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:35 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Also check this site out. It's where we haze each other to no end. http://www.dorkiphus.com/porsche/
Old 08-16-2004, 02:40 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark..

You are in Reston right ?? If so, check out Intersport Performance on 1524 Springhill Rd. Mclean, VA 22102. Talk to Omar Hilmi, the owner. 703-242-8680.

I bought my C4S from him. No bull****, straight forward guy. He'll love having another Arena Red Widebody in there !!!!

Major CONGRATS on the purchase by the way.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You need to post a pic now......
Old 08-16-2004, 02:45 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok, here's one Intersport story.

http://www.dorkiphus.com/porsche/viewtopic.php?t=1669
Old 08-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Pete in DC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

IMA in Fairfax is also good. Call Ivan at 703-849-9590. Local PCA supporter.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:20 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Funny, that thread claims Pelican dropped the ball on shipping the wrong filter. Yet, Intersport had it in stock. What good is a $22 filter if it's the wrong one ? Client got what he paid for with Intersport. The thread goes on to compliment Mr. Murphy (one of Intersport's Technicians).

Anyone can blast any shop..no one shop is without incident. I try not to criticize businessmen for what they charge. As long as I get what I want, when I want it, done right.....I don't mind paying a premium.

FWIW.....Omar, installed my CATZ-HID's Free of Charge when I bought the car from him.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:23 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maybe you missed the point. Omar charged me half of what he charged the other guy. Omar recognizes me by sight, but we're not close friends and I doubt he was cutting me a break. Why did the other guy get gouged? Yes, he and Charlie are really nice guys. But that means nothing to my car or my wallet.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:45 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark......

I can't speak for the experiences of others, only how I was treated and how my car was serviced.

Regardless of which shop you choose to service your new baby..........BEST OF LUCK with the ride !!
Old 08-16-2004, 04:47 PM
mnhead
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NoVa shops

Thanks guys for the advice. I didn't know there were so many shops in town. I will be picking up my car this week. I'll post pics next week. Thanks again.

Mark
Old 08-16-2004, 05:00 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

A few other honorable mentions: Autotherapy in Gaithersburg (I like them a lot), Dulles Int'l. Motorsport in Herndon (used to be ok, dunno since Dave O. left), Dr John's in Sterling (maybe out of business now), Pitstop Perf. in Alexandria (very highly regarded around here).
Old 08-16-2004, 05:58 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Mark,

I've been using ASG (AutoSport System Group) 703.876.2811 for about 4 years now and have had nothing but good and fair service. I really like the guys - there are only 4 of them and you can get to know who is working on your car and easily build up a relationship. (no relationship or financial interest, yada, yada, yada, just a happy customer)

I suggest swinging by and talking with the guys to introduce yourself and pick a shop where you feel comfortable with the people and the shape of the shop.

Ed is the office manager and brother of Geoff
Geoff is one of the owners and also a technician
Ray is the other owner and also a technician
Taylor is the other technician

Taylor and Geoff have done all the work on my car...

Good luck and PM me if you have any specific questions.

-Skip
Old 07-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Digged out this old thread! I am in Great Falls visiting for a couple of weeks and thinking about approaching Pitstop Motorsport for some TTP (Germany) products of which they seem to be a distributor, has any of you guys had any experience with them?

BTW check out this new shop in the Dulles area, visited them, state of the art setup and great guys...www.funktionauto.com ..just opened recently, the website is not done yet.

TIA for any info about Pitstop.

Jean
Old 07-24-2006, 01:57 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Jean,

Minh is a great guy @ Pitstop and he does all the work on my car and several others I know.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:14 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Pitstop was the first shop I had work on my p-car when i moved here in 98. Not only did they mis-diagnose an issue with my car. Fortunately i decided to hold off on their suggested repair and DIY, saving myself about $500. With the tranny rebuild I asked them to do, they did not transfer my race gears over to the new box. They "accidently" did not replace the existing gears with high dollar ratios from the old one. After driving the car for 2 minutes, it was clear that the ratios were off. Brought it back and they "found" the parts on their shelf. Innacurate and Shady are not attributes I look for in a shop.... Oh and they also took forever, but that can happen with any shop.

Many guys like Taylor at ASG. I have been using Funktion as of late. They did a wonderful job on transmission service and alignment and ride height setting with the PSS9/H&R's I installed. Tim is knowledgeable with the 993. They just had another 993 in for an engine reseal and the work seemed quite thorough. They also take the time to go over things if you like to wrench on your own. That really means a lot to me. Very convenient to me as I live in Ashburn, but worth checking out.

Quick Reply: Shop recommendation in Northern VA