Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shop recommendation in Northern VA

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 02:41 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pitstop was the first shop I had work on my p-car when i moved here in 98. Not only did they mis-diagnose an issue with my car. Fortunately i decided to hold off on their suggested repair and DIY, saving myself about $500. With the tranny rebuild I asked them to do, they did not transfer my race gears over to the new box. They "accidently" did not replace the existing gears with high dollar ratios from the old one. After driving the car for 2 minutes, it was clear that the ratios were off. Brought it back and they "found" the parts on their shelf. Innacurate and Shady are not attributes I look for in a shop.... Oh and they also took forever, but that can happen with any shop.
It's amazing to me how some of us can have completely different experiences with the same shops. There isn't a shop in this area I haven't heard a horror story on including ASG & Intersport. I guess that's the point of asking around and finding out what the majority has run into.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:45 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by TYNUSKT
It's amazing to me how some of us can have completely different experiences with the same shops. There isn't a shop in this area I haven't heard a horror story on including ASG & Intersport. I guess that's the point of asking around and finding out what the majority has run into.

I had a horrible experience with Pit Stop in the early 90's, but I've heard poistive things about them since they've changed ownership.

Carl Cordell - Rennsport is who serviced my other pcar in NOVA. Very small shop that did great work.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am only interested in their TTP line of business.

95993, yes Tim@Funktionauto is very competent and very decent, sorry to hear about the horror story with your gearbox and Pitstop, this is one of the things that I always worry about when building a race box, you never know what went inside for the price you paid.

If you are around Funktion anytime soon, please send me a PM, it will be nice to meet you.
Thanks Guys.
Jean

Last edited by Jean; 07-24-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:20 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it is really the nature of the auto repair business that you are going to have a wide range of opinions on any shop, and it is really very true that every single shop has several bad stories. Definitely comes down to your experience at that business and your own relationship with the owner/mechanic. I can relate a story or two on every shop listed thus far, but I won't do it all over the net.

Except for Pitstop. They really ticked me off. My gas pedal was moving side to side. They told me the bushings in the pedal cluster were worn and it needed a full rebuild. The gas pedal doesnt even having a bushing to wear out. Nor is it actually part of the pedal cluster except were it snaps into the ball linkage. Over time the metal at the base wears through the rubber, and thus the wobbling starts. It took 5 minutes for me to replace with a new one. Not to mention the transmission fiasco.

All that said, you might have a great experience with them!

{edit}
Just saw your post - give me a shout when you are up my way, would be happy to meet up!
Old 07-24-2006, 03:42 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, most shops have stories. I can relay a story on just about every area shop EXCEPT ASG which is the main reason I use them. Even the shops that don't have horror stories, well, some of them seem to have two very different sets of behavior depending on who the customer is.

A few yrs. ago I was wrenching on the 993 (I had a lift at the PCA tech inspection) in a very popular local shop that will remain nameless. They are a PCA sponsor and the owner is the nicest guy in the world. I got my fuel filter off, pulled the new one out and realized I had brought an oil filter, not a fuel filter. So I ask the owner if I can buy a new fuel filter. He brings me one and says $26. Fine, I needed it right away and wasn't going anywhere without one. The next week I see on a website where someone with a 993 asks if he was gouged because that same shop charged him $54 for a fuel filter. I doubt I got a 50% discount because the owner knew me.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:56 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
Yes, most shops have stories. I can relay a story on just about every area shop EXCEPT ASG which is the main reason I use them. .
Oh I think you know I have one for them too....
Old 07-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

No Bill, I can't recall. But no matter. I believe every shop has pissed someone off at some time. It's just that some have a higher average for it than others.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:26 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I have nothing but great things to say about Funktion. I would have never found them if Mitch Piper hadn't moved next door.

Both Funktion and Piper motorsports are top notch shops.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:35 PM
dnwong
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had some clutch work done at IMA. I think the work was ok, but the bill was $1000 more than they estimated. We finally settled for only $200 more than the estimate.

Dullus Motorsport is no more. Dave Herman sold the building and shut down the shop.

Quick Reply: Shop recommendation in Northern VA