993 Forum 1995-1998

HID GROUP BUY

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 10:55 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96P993,

I hope your headache is not too bad as I did not want you to think I am not appreciative of your efforts. I am very appreciative! I have been in other group buys and certainly want to support these efforts. It is just a little more challenging sometimes.

I eagerly await your install results!
Old 03-01-2003, 12:16 AM
grouchy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
The cutting versus tapping existing lines referred to the pictures of the install on the top of page four.

I inferred that you could cut and rework or tap into existing lines.

I am still awaiting some diy steps and difficulty ratings before offering to join in the purchase. I am afraid I might end up with something that would fit in on Junk Yard Wars rather than the chicago area concours...
Old 03-01-2003, 01:37 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by grouchy:
<strong>The cutting versus tapping existing lines referred to the pictures of the install on the top of page four.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Those pics are for the foglights - a completely different (& simpler) install than the headlights.
Old 03-01-2003, 02:08 AM
magnetic1
Racer

While, we have lots of knowledge on HID and vehicles and are CONSTANTLY adding more. This multi-port headlamp system is something unique to only a few vehicles out there, with the other being the VW Golf.

Please bear with us and we will get all the installation information needed shortly. Should it require more work than originally planned, you can always back out. No one is forcing anyone to get in on a group buy, no one took deposits, and there will be no hard feelings or anything else.

Chris stepped up and volunteered to be the test subject here. Guys, I admit I do not have first hand experience with the 993, BUT from what **I** have read and searched on the 993 and HID, my view was that the only modification necessary was cut an exit hole on the plastic headlight housing for the wires. I did this before my first post on this thread and went with the assumption that this was all that was needed. I do not know why the pictured 993 owner decided to cut up his wiring except for the fact that he said he wanted a "cleaner install". Perhaps he wanted less wires? Like I said, let us wait for Chris to get his in. I am sure it will answer most if not all our questions here.

Thank you guys for being patient.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:15 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 279 Posts
Hi Guys:

Chris and Eric--thanks for the effort and the information. Sorry--I am going the litronics route, just b/c I like the idea of a kit/part engineered specifically for my car, and b/c I am hapless when it comes to improvisation on DIYs. (Dan lost me on his first post!)

Good luck in your quest for an affordable fix to our sad illumination problem!
Old 03-01-2003, 12:22 PM
96P993
Pro

Hey everyone...I know many of you are waiting on the DIY and opinions on the kit...I too am still waiting. We actually had an ice storm on Mon and Tues (realize Im in Texas) which delayed UPS so I dont have the kit yet and they wont let me pick it up. I will get it Mon and most likely start the install that evening. I do appreciate the encouragement from some of you. I will keep you posted as soon as I get my hands on the kit
Old 03-01-2003, 12:35 PM
YellowC4S
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just once, I'd like to see something delivered BEFORE it's expected...
Old 03-01-2003, 04:16 PM
96P993
Pro

You and me both Kevin..I want to do a commercial on what "Brown" has done for me!!!
Old 03-01-2003, 11:14 PM
magnetic1
Racer

I noticed the delay too. Sucks that we sent it 3day and it will now arrive the same as if I had sent it Ground. O well.

Did you know UPS also uses trains? Chris, youre lucky you didnt get this message on your tracker:

"TRAIN DERAILMENT CAUSED IN-TRANSIT DELAY"

I was shocked to see that on a customer's tracking info!
Old 03-01-2003, 11:52 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts
I think I'm in for a set of the 4500k kit. Eric, want to come over and work up a DIY? Only problem I have right now, is that my car is still in the shop. Last time I saw it, it was almost ready for painting. Hope to have it back in a couple of weeks, just in time for the Zone2 VIR DE , (with a new RS aero kit).

Todd
Old 03-02-2003, 07:14 PM
John W
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Keep it up guys.

I'm not knocking what Eric is doing for us (Rennlisters), just trying to clarify on points which I considered to be misleading.

Eric you are correct, the Autolamps install can be fitted within 45 minutes a side, and only requires one 22mm hole to be drilled in the side of the rear lamp cover. This is for the 12v feed & earth to the balast, and the HT to the bulb to pass through.

I would guess the size of the hole for your setup may be smaller, since the cables will be smaller. The limiting factor will be a hole size big enough ot get the connectors through one at a time.

I hope this makes sense.

Chris, good luck with the install.

Cheers,
John.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:35 PM
magnetic1
Racer

ToddB, SURE! Im only 30 min from you Do you autocross too? Ill be at all the SCCA events trying to defend my SM2 title I was supposed to goto Summit Point this friday, but not sure if I want to reschedule yet. Thinking about VIR FullCourse end of April as well...

JohnW, that was what I thought!

Here are some pictures of a E36 M3 euro H1 housing w/ multi-port connections and installation guide. It SHOULD be similar to the 993:

<a href="http://www.liteswap.com/h1ingu.html" target="_blank">http://www.liteswap.com/h1ingu.html</a>
Old 03-03-2003, 05:09 PM
96P993
Pro

Well the product has arrived and everything seems to be in order. I will take pics of the product tonite and try to go ahead with the install this evening..
Old 03-03-2003, 06:09 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts
Chris
Good luck. Take lots of pics for us and don't scratch the Arena Red...

Mike Cap
Old 03-03-2003, 06:17 PM
GeezC4S
Racer

Chris

Ditto. Eagerly awaiting..

Whimpy

Quick Reply: HID GROUP BUY