Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 cabrio wind deflector question

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 01:18 PM
RockstarBruski

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi I recently purchased a 1995 993 cabriolet and read through everyone's posts on the wind deflector. So which is better to get OEM or aftermarket? Below are deflectors I'm researching. Anyone have any thoughts on the below products?

This one for $170 (+$95 shipped from Germany)
This one for $232 (shipped from Netherlands)
This one for $249 (Shipped from US)
This one for $340 (shipped from US)
This one for $1,188 (shipped from US Pelican Parts)

Old 05-08-2020, 01:56 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i have the first one Airax. I like it and it works very well. my only issue is how it mounts - there isn't a way to really snug it into place - just spring tension. I had to do a little bit of creative enhancing of the mounting cups that it comes with. but simple and no impact to the car...
The following users liked this post:
flyweight (04-01-2023)
Old 05-08-2020, 04:35 PM
sogasd
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 993 wind deflector

I only have the factory one. I don’t think mine ads a lot of real wind deflection but I don’t use it much. Keep in mind if the aftermarket is any bigger than the factory, it probably won’t store in the boot. The factory unit barely fits.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:54 PM
Anakin Skywalker
Drifting

Received 478 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by bmoody33
Hi I recently purchased a 1995 993 cabriolet and read through everyone's posts on the wind deflector. So which is better to get OEM or aftermarket? Below are deflectors I'm researching. Anyone have any thoughts on the below products?

This one for $170 (+$95 shipped from Germany)
This one for $232 (shipped from Netherlands)
This one for $249 (Shipped from US)
This one for $340 (shipped from US)
This one for $1,188 (shipped from US Pelican Parts)
I have the OEM one which came with the car when I bought it (96 C4 cab) and it has a wonky mounting system which makes it difficult to keep up (ie vertical) over time. The technician at Pfaff fixed it by putting crazy glue into one of the mounting sockets and now it works like a charm. I use it all the time.
My suggestion is that the (very) expensive OEM unit isn’t worth the cost. The screen makes highway driving a bit quieter.
Congratulations on your purchase! Enjoy it! Post a pic for us!
Old 05-08-2020, 08:39 PM
Bigwood
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the one that came oem with my ‘95 cab. I love it! It is down unless my wife doesn’t want her hair blowing around. Also I drive mine on 40* sunny days with the heat on and it is very comfortable. I think it is a must have
Old 05-16-2020, 03:32 AM
RockstarBruski

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

@stace
@sogasd
@Anakin Skywalker
@Bigwood
Thank you all for your replies and advice! I really appreciate it!

Here's a few pics of my 95 993. It was sunny today and my kids and I had a nice drive through some twisty roads near our house. This car is so much fun to drive and my favorite generation. I really liked my 85 911 that I owned for a few years but I like the refinements of the 993 while still enjoying that air cooled sound and curves of the car styling! Cheers!

The following 2 users liked this post by RockstarBruski:
abiazis (09-18-2021), gregorytate (09-07-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 06:08 AM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

I don't see a photograph with your top town and your wind deflector? One caveat: I am viewing the images from my phone, not my computer.
Old 09-07-2020, 03:11 AM
D1A3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sogasd
Super glue? Maybe minot visualizing correctly because that little arm has to pivot. I am tempted to drill out the pin and put in a tiny screw/washer combo (probably pretty fragile?) or maybe drill it all out and make a bolt stud? Any better ideas out there?
I have this problem too. How did you eventually resolve it?
Old 09-07-2020, 08:56 AM
Anakin Skywalker
Drifting

Originally Posted by D1A3
I have this problem too. How did you eventually resolve it?

The Super Glue solution ( a dab onto the male pin which goes into the receiving arm) has now held for the last year. That pin keeps the screen vertical and kept coming out.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:59 AM
stasha
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Z
It is designed to stay installed to the top whether up or down. Bill Z
Originally Posted by amfp
Kept mine fastened for about 3 years without any problems. It is designed stay fastened, unless you need to remove for additional space in rear seat area.
ok, I'm still cautious because of the inexact wording, but I'm slow...

In regards to raising the top while the wind deflector (WD) is in place:
1) "stay installed" "fastened"... do you mean attached to the sides of the car via its pegs, but unzipped? ...or do you mean attached/zipped to the top, but unpegged?
OR, do I just leave it pegged AND attached and just raise the top, and somehow it magically all sorts itself out? (E.g., it finds a way to release itself from the pegs)

2) I guess there is no #2 until I get clarification

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:01 AM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by stasha
ok, I'm still cautious because of the inexact wording, but I'm slow...

In regards to raising the top while the wind deflector (WD) is in place:
1) "stay installed" "fastened"... do you mean attached to the sides of the car via its pegs, but unzipped? ...or do you mean attached/zipped to the top, but unpegged?
OR, do I just leave it pegged AND attached and just raise the top, and somehow it magically all sorts itself out? (E.g., it finds a way to release itself from the pegs)

2) I guess there is no #2 until I get clarification

Thanks.

It stays attached in its pegs and zipped to the headliner. You flip it back into its down position and put the roof up. If all works as it should the WD will end up tight to the top above the drivers head. When you put the roof back down the WD will return but finish in the upright position.
It does magically sort itself out by following the roof system, it never releases its pegs from the roof.
This is how mine operates, has for years and is quite handy compared to removing and storing when you don't need to.

Last edited by 2RedPorsche; 09-08-2020 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Additional
The following users liked this post:
Twilightblue28A (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 11:53 AM
D1A3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anakin Skywalker
The Super Glue solution ( a dab onto the male pin which goes into the receiving arm) has now held for the last year. That pin keeps the screen vertical and kept coming out.
Thanks! Do you think they were using the thinner superglue or the kind that’s more like a gel? I’m thinking gel, but some of these kinds of things can be surprising. 😉
Old 09-08-2020, 12:10 PM
stasha
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 2RedPorsche
It stays attached in its pegs and zipped to the headliner. You flip it back into its down position and put the roof up. If all works as it should the WD will end up tight to the top above the drivers head. When you put the roof back down the WD will return but finish in the upright position.
It does magically sort itself out by following the roof system, it never releases its pegs from the roof.
This is how mine operates, has for years and is quite handy compared to removing and storing when you don't need to.
Great. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:49 PM
Anakin Skywalker
Drifting

Originally Posted by D1A3
Thanks! Do you think they were using the thinner superglue or the kind that’s more like a gel? I’m thinking gel, but some of these kinds of things can be surprising. 😉

That’s a great question because I’m guessing at some point the super glue on mine will just wear out and I will have to do it myself. I don’t know the answer. I’d start with the thin stuff and see if it works.
Please post your result for posterity sake. I was surprised how little was written about such a wonky part.
Good luck!
Old 02-05-2021, 05:41 PM
gregorytate
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is anyone using one of the after-market wind deflectors? Opinions? Many thanks

Quick Reply: 993 cabrio wind deflector question