GPS ?? / Garmin

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 04:37 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS ?? / Garmin

hi,
Im planning to add some GPS Nav to the TT but am not sure what to do. Ived searched all forums here, but several questions:

1) is there any head unit now that has a pop-up screen that will clear the dash overhang? (i dont want to loose an a/c vent) If so, which one?

2) If not, im planning to get the Garmin 2610? Is this the best alternative?
2a) Can i mount the Garmin near the shifter - consol using a telephone type mount? - Im told the unit needs a view of the sky - in this case it would have a view up, but not straight ahead. Or, do i have to mount it above the dash?
2b) If i need to mount it about the dash, does it look too big/obtrusive?
What is the best mount that will not damage the leather of the dash and still keep the until in place when i drive the TT 'like i stole it'??
thanks.
=r
Old 07-14-2004, 04:45 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, other than the trafficpro if I were to install a gps in a 993 I would get my hands on an optional phone console and modify it.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:21 PM
NTI 911E
Old School
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sell Garmins and other electronics for a living (a marine store—but we carry Garmin's car stuff too) and I can honestly say that there are better alternatives for car use than the StreetPilot. There are several ways you could go, one of which is a head unit with a separate 6 or 7" LCD to mount anywhere. I hear Alpine's NAV system is very good as well. TrafficPro has quite a following among P-car owners, but no maps.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:35 PM
Watch My 6
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a Garmin 2620 that I use in several vehicles, including my C4S. I use a RAM Mount that attaches to the windshield and works superbly. I have the phone console that I could have modified, but chose the semi-permanent, suction mount for several reasons:

1) Can use it in my other vehicles, rentals, etc...
2) Can detach it when I'm in questionable neighborhoods; the last thing I want is for someone to break my window to steal the thing...
3) Easily removed if I ever want to sell it; I typically upgrade my 'gadgets' every few years or so.
4) Easily removed if for some odd reason it needs to be repaired.

I've used Garmin products for many years and the 2620 is an awesome litte unit with a speed-optimized database of the entire US and Canada with millions of very well categorized points of interest. In the mood for Mexican or Thai food? No problem... Getting low on gas and only like going to Chevron? Nearest one is a just few clicks away...

Here's a link to a couple of companies that sell mounts for various types of equipment:

http://www.mobilecx.com
http://www.freshtracksmaps.com/gps.htm

Cheers,

WM6

Last edited by Watch My 6; 07-14-2004 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:12 PM
volpenyc
Pro

I have a streetpilot III; it works reasonably well, but I find it almost always falls into the lap of my co-pilot under hard acceleration. I did not want to do a permanent mount on the dashboard. If I were to do it again I would probably get a unit that was installed. (So it would not interfere with my V1 unit.)
Old 07-14-2004, 06:13 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

Rob,
As WM6 mentioned, the Garmin has a lot of advantages. I am very directionally challenged, so it saves me a lot of time and blood pressure level...LOL. I have the Garmin 2610. I bought it on ebay for $700 brand new about 6 months ago versus $999 at the retail stores. It's a nice unit with touch-screen features and in my SUV, I have it mounted with a gooseneck I bought at an electronic store for $20. On the P-car, I use the sand filled portable mount that came with unit so I can hide it when it's parked. Yes, it's not exactly the slimmest and sleakest GPS unit but voice guiding and touch-screen was important to me. If I had to do it over again, I would have bought their PDA GPS - iQue 3000. You can use any PDA mounting kit on the market. http://www.garmin.com/products/iQue3600/
Old 07-14-2004, 06:14 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

wm6- thanks for the links.
1) which ram mount do you use? where is it placed?
2) would the garmin work if it were 'ram mounted' below the dash - sort of near where a telephone would go - right side of consol - some people have said it nees to be above dash to work, but can a 'sky-up' view be enough?
Old 07-14-2004, 06:15 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I use the Garmin 2610 for work and find it to be an incredible asset, especially with all the driving I do. I do think it's best to get something with maps already preloaded (the 2620, I think), as installing them can be a bit of a pain.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:15 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

Oh by the way, I forgot to mention, the unit works well while on top of the passenger seat or in the utility tray.. but then I have a Targa...
Old 07-14-2004, 06:18 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Rob,

You might lose satellite reception if there's too much metal around, such as near the lower part of a console. Also, it's a bit hard to see the display, as well as a little dangerous, when it's mounted too low. I have mine sitting on the dash with the bean bag mount, so I can remove it when I'm in questionable neighborhoods.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:33 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rob
I just picked up the Magellan Roadmate 700 2 months ago( approx. $1200.) and I'm happy with the product.I looked at the Garmin but I didnt care for the mounting options. I use the suction mount to the windshield and take it from car to car and it always stays put- I also like this one because I can add a nautical chart card and take it in my boat as well. I'm considering mounting a small piece of plexiglass to the side of the console and suction cup on to that for the out of sight mounting. If you are going with a portable unit these are the 2 best available I understand.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:45 PM
Watch My 6
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rob,

I chose the twist-lock suction mount because I called the manufacturer and they said that it had the greatest amount of holding power. I clean the mounting area real well and then moisten the cup a little bit with some alcohol and it sticks extremely well. Also, I bought mounts for each of the vehicles I drive most, so that I don't have to remove the suction cups every time; the arm is a spring-loaded clip and that removes quite easily and quickly.

When I get a chance, I'll post some pictures. Also, the bean-bag mount works great in the 993's; fits very well on the dash. The unit will only move under fairly hard acceleration or cornering.

Lastly, I tried out the Roadmate 700 before buying the 2620. IMHO and experience, the Roadmate 700 has better routing algorithms (usually picks the routes I would personally choose) but has a lot less customization options than the 2620. If you want something totally easy to use, the Roadmate 700 is an excellent choice. If you want lots of user-customizable options (I did), then the 2620 is the better choice.

http://www.gpspassion.com and http://www.gpsinformation.net are great sites for GPS info and discussion...

Cheers,
Old 07-14-2004, 10:04 PM
srgolub
Advanced

I agree with Jonathank2000. I have the 2610 and it's a terrific unit. Far, far better than the one built into my 330i. I also agree that if I were doing it all over again I would go for the iQue with the car mounting kit and power adapter. It has almost all the features of the 2610, except for the remote, the screen is about the same size and of course it's ultra-portable and doubles as a PDA. Oh, and it's a few hundred $$$ less.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:47 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How important are the dead reckoning functions of some GPS units? Does the satelite connection drop in and out frequently?

Dave
Old 07-15-2004, 03:06 AM
Watch My 6
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dudley,

I have the dead reckoning on the stock NAV in my BMW X5 but not on the Garmin 2620. I drive frequently in San Francisco with the tall buildings and the Garmin does quite well in comparison to the stock GPS on the BMW. With the 2620, I will briefly lose signal in tunnels and the lower deck of bridges (to be expected), and from time to time in the city due to the buildings, but not to the point of where it becomes useless.

If you're that concerned, you can get a Garmin 2660 which has the dead reckoning capability but it needs to be installed by an authorized Garmin installation facility and it's more expensive (go figure...)

Like I said before, I've used Garmin units for many years, and I've used them all over the world with extremely positive results. It took me a while to convince my wife of the utilitarian value, but now she's as convinced as I am and doesn't blink an eye when I say I want to get the 'latest and greatest' GPS! I'm a 'gadget freak' and I have to admit that GPS technology is among my favorite of favorites to play with whether it be driving, motorcycling, boating, hiking, walking, etc.

It will give you the confidence to just drive off to unknown places without even looking at a map beforehand. I've lived in the Bay Area for over 15 years and I still am discovering new places to go all the time... Trust me; it's like driving a Porsche, once you try it, you'll be hooked for life...

Cheers,

Quick Reply: GPS ?? / Garmin