Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Another kid seat thread... Recaro?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 01:37 AM
horizontally opposed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another kid seat thread... Recaro?

I've seen regular references to the Britax StarRiser in 993's, but does anyone have experience with the Recaro Start booster seat? Looks like the base measures 13" (17" at the armrests), that puts it 2.5" narrower than the Britax base. Plus, this seat has belt locks to prevent misalignment by the child. And what?! At only 3 times the price of the Britax it seems the perfect seat for this slippery slope!

TIA!

Cheers
Old 07-06-2004, 04:32 AM
victoria993
Track Day

Brenton, if I may ask, why did you require "new" belts? Are you finding the rear 3-pt. belts too short? Please elaborate...

Thanks,

Lance
Old 07-06-2004, 11:19 AM
horizontally opposed
Advanced

Hi Kim-
Yes, I received the belts. Thanks, again, for your generosity - it's greatly appreciated.

Lance-
I needed the 3 point belts because someone, at some point, converted my rear belts to lap belts. Though I'm uncertain why the change was made, I'll assume it was to use an infant seat or some such thing. As it turns out, the rear deck was unaltered and the 3-points were an easy install. It's all in and works great!

Anyone on the Recaro Start?

Cheers
Old 07-06-2004, 12:17 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You referring to these? AMS (no affiliation, yada yada yada) is having a special on them. AFAIK they do not have the airbag disable though.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:31 PM
horizontally opposed
Advanced

David-
Yes, that's it.
More info on this seat . They're on sale in various places for $299.
It is intended for rear seat use, airbag disengage not necessary.

Cheers
Old 07-06-2004, 01:46 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Brenton,

The Recaro Start will not fit in the back of the 993. It's too tall.

It fits best in sedans. The Recaro is in our MBZ E430. The Britax Star-riser aka. Porsche Zoom is in the 993. The seat fits kinda sideways a bit to allow the seat to slide all the way back and avoid the belt buckle. There are pics in the archives, but if you need a pic, let me know.

My older son is nearly out of the Britax(he's almost 6), while my 1 year old has yet to go for a cruise in the 993! Got to do something about that.

Good luck,
Old 07-06-2004, 02:00 PM
horizontally opposed
Advanced

Thanks Travis-
That's what I needed to know.
There are no local Recaro dealers here and I needed to know about fit. I'll go ahead with my plan to buy a StarRiser for the 993 and likely buy the Recaro for the ML430 (mommymobile). My boy is just under 3 y.o., but at 39lbs and 38" tall he's outgrown his Britax Roundabout. I'd hoped to buy just one seat (preferably with the belt locks) that would work in both vehicles, but... that'd be just too easy (and inexpensive).

Cheers-
Old 07-06-2004, 02:13 PM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

does the Britax Roundabout fit in the back of the 993?

My little girl, while also three is tiny, 26 lbs or so and short for her age so the Star riser is out of the question for me. If the rounabout works for the little ones perhaps I'll pick one up, she is begging to ride in Daddy's pretty Red Car

Jon
Old 07-06-2004, 02:15 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brenton:

Check out Babyage.com. They have the Stariser for $89 plus $4 for shipping. I've no affiliation with site other than just ordering one for my BMW. At this price, Recaros would be 3.35x the price.

David: What are you doing looking at baby seats?
Old 07-06-2004, 03:54 PM
horizontally opposed
Advanced

Jon-
I don't think the wide footprint would allow the Roundabout to fit front OR rear facing in our cars, though my buddy uses one front-facing in the back of his 996. It leaves NO room for a front seat passenger, but it does work. Check the DIY on P-Car as there is a seat install of some kind shown there.

Father of 3-
Yes, we bought the Roundabout from Babyage - good prices and cheap shipping. Thanks.

Cheers-
Old 07-06-2004, 05:33 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

All,

We used the Roundabout in the 993 in the past when the older son still fit that. It pretty much requires either the front passenger to sacrifice their legroom or put the seat behind the driver (if you're small, it works fine)

My wife used to transport my son putting him in the roundabout behind her. She's a whopping 5 feet tall, so there wasn't a problem with him in the rear. I'm 5'5" and when the roundabout was behind the driver's seat, there wasn't enough room for me to comfortably drive.

Hope that helps,
Old 07-06-2004, 05:58 PM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Travis

did the roundabout fit snugly in the back seat?

The issues I have with every seat I have used is that they can not get strapped in tightly due to the length of the seat belt receptacles being too long. As hard as I try there is no way to get the seat good and in the car. Does it work in yours?

I am also around 5'5" , my wife is a bit talled though around 5'3" though it does not matter I just want a seat so I can take my 3 year old out when I run errands during the day. When you work at home and have two kids (1 being an infant) you don't get to leave the house alone so I never get to drive my car

Jon

Quick Reply: Another kid seat thread... Recaro?