Radio Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 12:37 AM
gslaberge
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Problem

To all:

I just received my car back from getting some minor body work done and touch ups, spash guards etc.. Looks great! Only problem:

Radio will not register any power. I have downloaded the manual, checked the fuses, disconnected and re-connected the battery etc.. Still no display on radio.

The radio is CDR 210. I have the radio code but get no display to enter it. Anyone ever have this problem? I have searched archives but cannot find same problem.

Any assistance is appreciated. I assume the shop disconnected the battery since the clock was registering the incorrect time when I picked up the car. Radio was fine when dropped off.
Thanks in advance.
Gregg
Old 04-18-2004, 02:38 AM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Try removing the faceplate and reinstalling it. The contacts on the faceplate may not be touching.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:38 AM
gslaberge
Advanced

Tried that and cleaned those contacts, same result no display.
Thanks
Gregg
Old 04-19-2004, 10:49 PM
jamiew
Track Day

I had this problem once. There is a fuse on the radio itself. You have to pull the radio out to get to the fuse on the back of the head unit. This fuse blew for me when the car accidentally was jump-started with reversed polarity.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:47 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

I have an older Porsche radio and the unit will go into a "dormant" state if some has entered the code incorrectly too many times. Nothing but time will reset it. I drove around for a couple of days and sure enough one day the unit came back on and prompted me for the "code".

This was a CR-1 (Alpine) unit though and yours is a Becker, so I'm not sure how applicable it is. Seems odd that the radio would die after body work. One assumes they just disconnected the battery, wouldn't think that it would have caused any kind of surge when it was reconnected.

Thanks,
Peter
Old 04-20-2004, 09:40 PM
jpr993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am having the same problem. I just got the car ('96 993 Carrera) and thought it was a radio code thing at first until I read the manual. Now it seems like it's just not getting power. I had a 2000 Boxster and a 2002 996 and I seem to recall something about an overheating circuit in the Becker radios. I am perplexed though. Mine has been out for about half a day right now.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:15 PM
gslaberge
Advanced

I am wondering about jamiew's post about removing the radio and checking the fuse on the back. What do the special tools look like? I bought my C4S used and it came with tools but I do not think it has removal tools for the radio. My radio was working fine prior to the body work now completely out for about 2 weeks????
Gregg
Old 04-21-2004, 10:08 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Check out these guys and give them a call. www.beckerautosound.com

They may be able to offer some additional advice and can send you a set of the correct keys for a couple of bucks.

Also, a good auto audio shop may have a set you can borrow to pull the radio.

Good Luck,
Skip
Old 07-06-2004, 02:46 PM
midwest
Instructor

Odd.

I just got mine back from the body shop and my radio had no power. Turned out power was getting to the unit, fuses were OK, etc but the unit had been fried, I think from jump starting it as it had sat there?

Burnt out my K40 too.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:20 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Radio Problem

Originally posted by gslaberge

Radio will not register any power. I have downloaded the manual, checked the fuses, disconnected and re-connected the battery etc.. Still no display on radio.

The radio is CDR 210.
Where did you download the manual? Is it freely available? Can you e-mail me a copy?
Old 07-06-2004, 06:27 PM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Dan:

Here's a link to the CDR-210 manual (taken from another thread here): http://www.beckerautosound.com/om2262.pdf

My car came to me without this manual, so I was happy to have found the downloadable version.

Quick Reply: Radio Problem