Sponsored by:

Can’t open the rear deck

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2024, 08:41 PM
Gh sanders
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can’t open the rear deck

I own a 97 Carrera coupe. I tried releasing the latch by pulling the cable release. Got nothing. Tried several more time. Same response. I figure the cable needs adjusting? Meanwhile I cannot check the oil or other maintenance on the engine.
Looking for help. Advise. Thank you
Old 08-30-2024, 09:03 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 518 Posts

What is the handle doing? Do you hear any kind of thunk of the latch opening? Is the handle loose? Do you have another person who can gently lift on the deck lid as the latch is pulled? Have you tried pressing down the deck lid to see if you can get the latch to reset?

Once open, suggest lubricating the assembly and adjusting.
The following users liked this post:
Gh sanders (08-31-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 12:07 AM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 175 Posts

If your car has just the regular decklid (ie, no turbo or aftermarket spoiler), you can actually reach and press down on the latch with a long handled screwdriver inserted through the rear grill and release it manually. Once open, then you can determine if the cable just came loose or if it's something else.
The following 3 users liked this post by ShdwFx:
Gh sanders (08-31-2024), pp000830 (09-01-2024), SpeedyC2 (09-11-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 09:11 AM
Dplus
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

RSAmerica.net: Tech Article: John Miles of www.porsche964.co.uk
Old 08-31-2024, 09:44 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 563 Posts

Unfortunately, do not believe the 993's came with the emergency release cable front or rear from the factory. There are provisions for such and you can add one but unless some previously thoughtful owner added one, that won't help him here. Still worth taking a look, he may hit the lottery.

To the original poster...

If the cable has broken or come loose from the latch, then pulling it from the handle side would allow you to remove the entire cable. What happens when you pull the handle? Does the cable spring back and retract when you let go? If so, it's not broken.

Old 08-31-2024, 11:34 AM
Gh sanders
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 71-3.0-911
What is the handle doing? Do you hear any kind of thunk of the latch opening? Is the handle loose? Do you have another person who can gently lift on the deck lid as the latch is pulled? Have you tried pressing down the deck lid to see if you can get the latch to reset?

Once open, suggest lubricating the assembly and adjusting.
Thanks. The handle and cable have spring retention. I do not get an audible response like a click from the latch. The lid is tight. No play in it.
I will try with a second set of hands.
Thanks again
Old 08-31-2024, 09:08 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 294 Posts

When you finally get it open, check this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...d-release.html
Old 09-01-2024, 02:55 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by ShdwFx
If your car has just the regular decklid (ie, no turbo or aftermarket spoiler), you can actually reach and press down on the latch with a long handled screwdriver inserted through the rear grill and release it manually. Once open, then you can determine if the cable just came loose or if it's something else.
Just wanted to add as I went to the garage and tested this:
-raise the spoiler up all the way using the manual switch
-grab a long wooden stick about a foot long (or long handled screwdriver or similar)
-shine a flashlight down to find where the latch release is
-reach in from the right side behind the spoiler wall and push the latch with the stick from right to left and it should release

I originally thought about adding in an emergency release cable to access behind the left taillight, but since this method works it wasn't necessary. But if you have a fixed rear spoiler, then adding in the backup release cable is a good idea.
NC TRACKRAT (09-01-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 04:09 PM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 418 Likes on 238 Posts

Not sure about aftermarket turbo decklids, but you can also reach the latch through the factory Aerokit lid.
Old 09-02-2024, 04:38 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 294 Posts

ShdwFx, to quote an old insurance commercial, "That's so easy, even a caveman could do it!"
ShdwFx (09-02-2024)
Old 09-10-2024, 03:50 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 1,014 Likes on 659 Posts

i just swapped decklids on my C4S and ran into a similar problem. once the stock decklid was back on, adjusted, and shimmed, it wouldn't pop open with the latch. get someone to pull up on the decklid while you pull the latch. it will likely open. from there, i loosened and adjusted the lock mechanism until it released properly.

here's something that many might not consider. when the decklid struts are worn out, it won't assist in 'popping' the decklid open. this was a factor for me, but i'm not messing with those stupid things at the moment. is it even possible to replace the struts with the engine in place??

Quick Reply: Can’t open the rear deck