Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS parts delivery...yay! - Porsche quality control... boo!!!

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 1,025 Likes on 534 Posts
Thumbs down RS parts delivery...yay! - Porsche quality control... boo!!!

Color me less than impressed with Porsche right now after received a (very) expensive order containing all the front/rear upper suspension mounts for an RS. These parts cost more than double of what the aftermarket parts go for and a few were on back order for over a month. So I'm a bit disappointed right now to receive a box containing numerous QC issues on a single order.

Let's start with the most egregious...

1) Notice anything?

That's right, the spherical bearing isn't pressed fully into place on the mount on the right (or even close to it). Not only that but the partial amount it is pressed in, you can see it's wedged in on an angle!

How this left the assembly line and was presumably (?) quality controlled by someone during packaging is beyond me. More pics...

Less egregious stuff (not returning or even complaining to Porsche and will fix on my own but annoying given #1)...

2) Damaged threads on top cap (good thing I inspected and caught it before cross-threading a $200 top mount!)

3) This needs to be filed down as it prevents the inner bearing mount inserting (yes, the tolerances are THAT tight)... again, not even mentioning it to Porsche and can quickly fix myself but in combination with the other QC issues, not cool.

4) Lastly, the mounting plates for the front upper bearing mounts should have washers press fit onto the four mounting studs... yet one was just bouncing around in the bag. I guess they never pressed it on?

Again, I can deal with it easily but I've never had so many issues on a single order. Perhaps they need disclaimers that "minor clean-up/fitment will be necessary for installation"?

Last edited by boomboomthump; Today at 09:58 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 169 Posts

A lot of manufacturers contract out their parts production for older models to the lowest bidder. I remember ordering a new shift ****/boot a few years ago and it's clearly a much lower quality leather than the original part. I would much prefer quality aftermarket than factory for a lot of this stuff.
Old Today, 05:27 AM
nk993
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Porsche quality control for older parts is abysmal.

i mentioned previously the faulty gearbox mount. Additionally when I did a full gearbox rebuild some stuff was out of dimension and caused lots of issues before the builder figured it out.
Old Today, 09:51 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

I'm inclined to pop out the bearing on my shop press but there's a chance the female threads to receive the top cap are mangled. Given the cost, I'd rather not introduce an evidence of me tampering with it if it ultimately can't be saved and needs to go back anyway.

Hopefully a new one will be on the way next week. A few other parts on this order took over a month to come from Germany but I believe the rear mounts were in stock in the US.

Last edited by boomboomthump; Today at 10:00 AM.
Old Today, 09:53 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nk993
Additionally when I did a full gearbox rebuild some stuff was out of dimension and caused lots of issues before the builder figured it out.

That makes me very worried about ambitions of a future re-gear.
Old Today, 02:37 PM
C4Spolar
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

I know in the past I use to have manufacturing parts issues with Porsche Motorsports parts, Usually original Porsche parts as a triangle emblem with a P in it meaning with pass QA.

Did you buy those RS parts from Porsche classic or just your local dealer? I would return them that's for sure and re-order new one.
Old Today, 03:05 PM
EDoyle
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I recently bought new G body 911 window cranks from Porsche to use to make 959/RS cranks (the factory makes them with normal units).

The window cranks arrive in crappy plastic and are now cheap units made in Taiwan.

Old Today, 08:59 PM
c2_peter
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 55 Posts

sucks seeing this with how detail-oriented you clearly are. looking forward to seeing everything buttoned up.

Quick Reply: RS parts delivery...yay! - Porsche quality control... boo!!!