Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Still need more in-car video advice (Sorta long!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 01:00 AM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts
Unhappy Still need more in-car video advice (Sorta long!)

I'm still in search of acceptable in car video! I recently bought a Canon Elura digital camcorder SOLELY because I was told they have a superior image stabilization technology and the small size of the unit makes it ideal for in-car usage. I have mounted it to the DAS rollbar inside of my 993TT (stock suspension).

To try to eliminate as much vibration as possible, I am using the nylon strap that I/O Racing provides with their camera mount. I also placed a patch I cut out from a "mousepad" between the camera bottom and the mounting surface. I even use an electrical tie to maintain tension between the camera and the top of my roll bar - anything to eliminate the *$&^#%@ shakes!

I have tried every possible filming combo: auto focus vs. manual set @ infinity; image stabilization vs. none, sport mode, outdoor mode etc., fast (1/2000 second) vs normal shutter speed. Bottom line is I still have excessive vibrations. I tried all of the above with a friend's Sony DCR and had the same problems. My theory is that since my rollbar mounts to exactly where the stock inertia reel seatbelts mount, and there is no cushion or buffer between, I am simply transmitting to much motion from the chassis right to the rollbar and then into the &$^#%$ camera. Since most people mount their cameras to a harness guide bar bolted to the B-pillars, they probably don't have as much vibration to deal with - the body and suspension absorb most of it.

I have been told the real problem is that the vibrations go to the tape drive mechanism inside the camera and that the only good solution is to now buy a remote camera that plugs into the camcorder. Then I should wrap my camcorder in some 4 inch packing foam and simply leave it in the backseat. If the recording device doesn't vibrate, I should be golden. Easy enough for me, but just one question. Has anybody tried this? Specifically, www.supercircuits.com sells these cameras and just got a good plug in Panorama as well.
I would simply love to hear from somebody who has tried it first, as I am getting sick of pissing away $$$ on gadgets that fail to do the one thing they were pruchased to do!

All input is welcomed and appreciated. TIA!null
Old 07-16-2001, 01:05 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rob, I have a malibu ski boat, that My son had attached a camera to the tower bar. I dont know what kind it is, but his videos come out real good. He is very much into wake boarding, and uses the vids, to improve. I will find out what brand, etc...get back to you later
Old 07-16-2001, 01:51 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rob, I've tried several camera systems, currently I'm using an Cannon ES 5000 on a DAS roll bar with no problems. Loose the nylon strap, as I/O port included that for SCCA approval only. It seems to increase the vibration issue.
Keep in mind that surface of most race tracks is smoother than street surfaces and with stock suspension your playback should be great on the track.
Call me if your have any questions.
Jim B.
Old 07-16-2001, 02:28 AM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rob,

I agree with Jim. Get rid of the strap. Also, I would just simply attach the camera to the I/O mount without any padding. This is what I did and the videos came out looking very good.

Rick
Old 07-16-2001, 06:22 PM
Ruf-Racer
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Rob,
I believe you have seen my Canon Gl1 mounted to the rear cross bar.My in car videos are absolutely superb with the optical stabilizer active and the camcorder set to the autofocus mode.We can arrange to mount your camera to my platform but I don't think the camera is the problem!
Old 07-17-2001, 03:19 PM
Peter UK
AutoX

Talking

hi,

Best solution, used on many a Z3 at track day events, is the HAMA windshield/dash mounting for a video. Works superbly with a Sony DCR and also a Canon that a friend uses.

The HAMA mount has a suction cup for windshield fixing and the base has a soft cushion that sits down onto the top of the dashboard surface.

This set up worked with a Z3 with AC Schnitzer track suspension and produces virbation free results when use image stabilisation.

Peter
Old 07-18-2001, 01:09 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Rob
If you have some extra time on Sunday I can bring my camera over and do a test case.
Before the wine tasting of course.
Jim B.
Old 07-18-2001, 01:54 PM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts
I just ordered a remote "lipstick" camera from Supercircuits to plug into my DCR. I think what I'll do is show you the results of my vidio experimentation on Sunday and then you can tell me any ideas that you have to improve upon my results. See you Sunday.

Quick Reply: Still need more in-car video advice (Sorta long!)