Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There's a new FOB on the block

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2024, 02:31 PM
entendu
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

Call around to multiple dealers if you have them in your area. Stevens Creek (San Jose) told me he has to program a fob with the computer 😂

not every shop is going to know what to do.
Old 07-15-2024, 05:45 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by entendu
Call around to multiple dealers if you have them in your area. Stevens Creek (San Jose) told me he has to program a fob with the computer 😂
not every shop is going to know what to do.
Yes, you are correct about the incompetence of some dealers! Many don't know air cooled Porsches, e.g. assuming the 993 FOB & immobilizer function like the 996 and later cars.
http://www.systemsc.com/

Old 07-18-2024, 12:06 PM
EdinTX
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jay@EZimmoblock.com
^^^ That.
Years ago I had the same problem. Like you, I suspected the PIN I was using was wrong, so naively just called the Porsche dealer to get it from the VIN. They wouldn't give it to me without me coming in with proof of ownership. That's a bit of a hike for me so I asked if they could at least confirm that what I was using was correct. They agreed to do that over the phone (and it was correct), so give that a try first. Different dealers may have different policies so shop around. If all else fails, send me a fob and I'll make a backup you can use that doesn't need to be programmed. See here
That worked! The dealer confirmed over the phone that the code I'm using matches the car's VIN. It's good news in a way, but it means there's another issue. I think the best option now is to get the fob you mentioned that doesn't need programming. I visited your website and found the F1 EZ. Is that what I want? All I need to do is send you my fob and you make one that's already paired?

Old 07-21-2024, 01:41 PM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 411 Likes on 233 Posts

Correct. The F1-EZ is designed for those who can't program fobs in-car and don't want to go through the hassle and cost of sending the immobilizer out to be programmed. All you need to do is send a fob currently paired to your car and we'll make a copy you can use without having to program it - much easier and less costly than sending the immobilizer out. Turn-around time is typically one day. Read more about it here.
Old 07-24-2024, 09:48 PM
tougu
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Jay, all, just checking in again to confirm if any longer range with these? Will probably order in the next week or two anyway but would love to know. Thank you! Matt
Old 07-25-2024, 03:37 AM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

IIRC, it is the capacitors that need to be replaced in the immobilizer box that gives you the increased range. Found the link : https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...is-easy-3.html
Old 07-25-2024, 10:02 AM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tougu
Hi Jay, all, just checking in again to confirm if any longer range with these? Will probably order in the next week or two anyway but would love to know. Thank you! Matt
Originally Posted by HalfGerman
IIRC, it is the capacitors that need to be replaced in the immobilizer box that gives you the increased range. Found the link : https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...is-easy-3.html
As @HalfGerman correctly points out, range depends on the fob and the immobilizer - as a system. Test the same fob with ten different 993's and you'll get 10 different ranges - often dramatically different. That's because every immobilizer is different - especially in cases where the capacitor detailed in the link above degrades. A more meaning question is "What's F1 range relative to OEM". I'm in the process of collecting data to answer that question. Preliminary results indicate that the F1 has greater range than OEM. Tests I did on my 993 gave the following ranges (my immobilizer has had the capacitor update done):

front: 57'
driver side: 64'
pass side: 54'
rear: 11'

These ranges are greater than both of my OEM fobs. Will you get the same results? Probably not. Could be more. Could be less. Depends on your immobilizer. I will point out that if you're currently getting ~5 ft or less range with your OEM fob (and it has a fresh battery and clean contacts), the immobilizer is probably the limiting factor, not the fob. If that's the case, consider doing the capacitor refresh - the improvement can be dramatic. The above ranges were measured with the fob held out elbow length from the body. Holding it at the hip yielded ranges 7 ft greater, on average. Bottom line: range depends on many factors, so YMWV. Hope that helps.

The following users liked this post:
M1TC (Yesterday)
Old 07-25-2024, 01:46 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Jay,

I've been using one of your updated fobs from a few years back (flawlessly I might add), and was wondering how/if this new version differs from the one I have? Thank you.
Old 07-25-2024, 06:14 PM
tougu
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Got it thanks! Yep, was looking for a comparison between original and this fob. Whenever I can actually get my act together and order one of these I will try to do a test and update. Thank you!
Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM
Hamhands
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 88 Posts

I think im going to just send you guys one of my working fobs and have you all clone it for simplicity.
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Good choice! Order the F1 EZ on the website and you'll get instructions on where to mail your fob. I can usually turn it around same day.
Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM
Hamhands
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jay@EZimmoblock.com
Good choice! Order the F1 EZ on the website and you'll get instructions on where to mail your fob. I can usually turn it around same day.
Is there a price break for doing two at the same time? Might just replace my OEM ones with yours.
Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

PM sent

Quick Reply: There's a new FOB on the block