Sponsored by:

Shop recommendation in Scottsdale/Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2024, 02:29 PM
carboy2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shop recommendation in Scottsdale/Phoenix

I recently purchased a well cared for 1998 C2S with a 6sp and 34k miles. Prior owner had this car in his car collection for 20+ years. Engine, clutch, transmission and brakes are all sorted and in like new condition. The suspension has never been touched. I am wanting to do a suspension upgrade for street use only. I want to find an experienced shop that can install Bilstein PSS 10’s and make recommendations for new ride height, bushings, sway bars, etc. Looking for an experienced shop that is highly reputable and reasonable in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area.

I also want to install a Fister 2 exhaust and possibly a short shifter. Someone recommended that I take the car to Fister to have the work completed, but Fister is a 10+ hour drive away. Can you highly recommend any shop in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area to do this work? Thanks!
Old 07-25-2024, 02:32 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 620 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by carboy2
I recently purchased a well cared for 1998 C2S with a 6sp and 34k miles. Prior owner had this car in his car collection for 20+ years. Engine, clutch, transmission and brakes are all sorted and in like new condition. The suspension has never been touched. I am wanting to do a suspension upgrade for street use only. I want to find an experienced shop that can install Bilstein PSS 10’s and make recommendations for new ride height, bushings, sway bars, etc. Looking for an experienced shop that is highly reputable and reasonable in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area.

I also want to install a Fister 2 exhaust and possibly a short shifter. Someone recommended that I take the car to Fister to have the work completed, but Fister is a 10+ hour drive away. Can you highly recommend any shop in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area to do this work? Thanks!
I've always used Murtha Motorsports and I've been happy with their work. Last time I was at their shop they had a 993 on a lift that they just finished servicing the CV boots and rebuilding the suspension on.
Old 07-25-2024, 03:05 PM
milazzo_997tt
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 65 Posts

You have a lot of great options in the PHX area. Murtha motorsports is a popular option but I think of them more for later model GT cars. I've used Mcilvain motors on my GT3 and wouldn't hesitate to have them work on my 993 S as well. You also have Becks European, Don Jackson, Patrick Motorsports and stuttgart southwest who are all well regarded for working on air-cooled Porsches. I'm down in Tucson so I had my suspension updated by a local shop down here. Once it starts cooling down I hope to see your car out at the Porsche cars and coffee at Four till four!
Old 07-25-2024, 03:23 PM
carboy2
Track Day

Greatly appreciate your recommendations as I am fairly new to the area. We love Four till four and I will plan on seeing you there!
Old 07-25-2024, 03:24 PM
Hamhands
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 91 Posts

I used McIlvain for a PPI on a GT3 I used to own and they did some minor repairs while it was there for me. I was pleased with them.
Old 07-26-2024, 04:35 PM
ard
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 111 Posts

Someone recommended that I take the car to Fister to have the work completed, but Fister is a 10+ hour drive away. Can you highly recommend any shop in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area to do this work? Thanks!
@carboy2 congrats on your new car and welcome to the forums.

Replacing the muffler is a straightforward process (see this DIY). Any competent muffler shop can do this and any full-service shop that works on Porsches can do as well. The shift rod replacement is a little more involved but doable as a DIY and certainly within the standard scope of work that a shop specializing in Porsches can do. Driving 10+ hours each way for this job seems like the most impractical solution by several orders of magnitude. It's not like Fister will do the swap "while you wait". Check with Fister to see whether he has any mufflers available for a swap or whether you have to send yours in. You'll have to let him know whether you have Gillet or Bischoff mufflers. I don't recall during which model year Porsche switched suppliers but the mufflers will have the name of the manufacturer engraved. Honestly I would run not walk from that somebody who dishes out advice like driving to Fister for the swap.

HTH

/alex

Last edited by ard; 07-26-2024 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-30-2024, 03:34 PM
carboy2
Track Day

I talked with Scott McIlvain today. Unfortunately, his 993 specific mechanic retired. Scott says he can do the basic stuff on 993’s, but for a suspension rebuild, he would probably need to refer me to someone like Patrick Motorsports. From what I understand, Patrick Motorsports is very good, but given the demand for their work - they are quite expensive.
Old 07-30-2024, 11:46 PM
milazzo_997tt
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 65 Posts

I talked with Scott McIlvain today. Unfortunately, his 993 specific mechanic retired. Scott says he can do the basic stuff on 993’s, but for a suspension rebuild, he would probably need to refer me to someone like Patrick Motorsports. From what I understand, Patrick Motorsports is very good, but given the demand for their work - they are quite expensive.

Yeah, Patrick Motorsports usually won't take on smaller jobs. I'd reach out to Becks European or Don Jackson if I were in your shoes.
Old 07-31-2024, 11:03 AM
flat6fan18
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 136 Posts

Came across this thread looking for something haha

Murtha is good. I had them do maintenance work on my car. Good guys at that shop. If I get lazy, I'll take my car there. The work you outlined, Murtha should be able to handle everything. The exhaust, you should consider doing yourself. Easiest of all the items you listed. Heck, I'll give you a hand.s

Mcilvain has a good rep. I wouldn't hesitate to go there as well.

Best of luck
Old 07-31-2024, 04:49 PM
carboy2
Track Day

Flat6fan, Thanks for your recommendation. I am contacting Murtha and Beck’s European. I am not worried about the Fister exhaust install, as that will be something that anyone can do. McIlvain was very helpful on the phone but without his 993 Technician, it is not something that he wants to take on right now.
Old 08-02-2024, 12:49 PM
Matthew Scott
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

OTTO WERKS is the only place I will let touch my cars in Arizona. They have a factory trained 993 tech (Robert) who is one of the best mechanics I have ever met.
Old 08-11-2024, 04:28 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 394 Posts

I use Scott McIlvain and recommend him highly. He has done engine out services in the past on my 2 993s. Iirc, before he had his own shop he worked for Patrick Motorsports as well. i like Sean Murtha and Robert at Otto as well and have used them in the past but Scott is still my go to. He did the fister exhaust on both of my 993s.

Last edited by joejenie; 08-11-2024 at 04:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SGOGT4 (08-12-2024)

Quick Reply: Shop recommendation in Scottsdale/Phoenix