Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking up the 993...boring topic but still a problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001, 09:21 PM
993Widebody
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Jacking up the 993...boring topic but still a problem.

I am still looking to see how people are jacking up their car. Specifically, I am having a problem with getting the jack stands under the car when the engine tray is on or you choose not to jack up the rear using the engine.

When using the rear jack points, there is no way to get a jack stand under a jack point because the jack is in the way. I tried using different areas of the rear jack point but could not fit a jack stand under the rear jack point when the jack was up.

Any advice? I hope I am missing something or maybe a different kind of jack would make this easier.
Old 10-29-2001, 09:49 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
First off I wouldn't leave the under tray on, it has been discussed extensively on this list and others. Since the tray won't be there you can use the engine to jack the rear of the car up. Use a block of wood or hockey puck between the case and the jack and you will be fine. If you don't want to do either get a 18 inch piece of 2x12 lumber and place it on the underside of the car (floorpan) and lift to get access to the rear jack point.
Not had any problems using the engine as a jack point and when at my mechanics shop this is how he lifted mine to get in on jackstands.
Greg
Old 10-29-2001, 09:53 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

Rob

To put all four sides of the car on jackstands you can jack the left rear (at jack pt) enough to place a jack stand on the front left. Then jack the right rear (at kjack pt) enough to place a jack stand on the front right. Lastly, jack the engine (I used a 2x6 on in between the engine and jack point) and place the jack stands at both rear jack points. Watch out for shifting of the vehicle while jacking each side (this is why I purchased a lift).
Old 10-29-2001, 09:53 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really wondered about trying it without taking the engine tray out. And I came to the same conclusion you have - no way.

Once I actually tried to remove the engine tray, I found it takes about 2 minutes to remove and it wasn't worth worrying about how to jack the car up with the tray on. I think there are 5 quick release "screws" that make removal a snap. (no pun intended ).
Old 10-29-2001, 10:27 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

I use the rear jack point, and then place the rear jackstand underneath the round suspension point just aft of the jack point.

I've never watched anyone jack up the rear w. the engine, and until I can watch someone w. a lot of experience do it, don't trust myself not to f#$k it up!
Old 10-29-2001, 10:54 PM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
Jim,

Which lift did you get and are you happy with it?

Luis
Old 10-29-2001, 11:48 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm going to make an adaptor for my jack. It will look like an L, with the short leg sticking in the hole where the round cup adaptor usually sits. This should get the floorjack far enough out of the way where I can raise the car at the rear point with the floorjack, and be able to fit a jackstand under that same mounting point. Until I can one day get a lift, this will help me avoid the multi step alternative.
Old 10-29-2001, 11:58 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts
Robert,
I forgot to mention, I would be very careful when using the suspension point to rest the car on a jackstand. After doing the clutch change, and therefore having to take some of the rear suspension apart, I would much sooner use the engine to lift the car than the rear suspension since even the bolts holding the suspension together are aluminum. I know the aluminum is corrugated and very strong, but I would still be more apt to use the engine. Look on robin's site. Where he shows the motor jack point is pretty much the balance point for the engine/tranny unit. And, that location is very close to the rear engine mounts, which is one of the sturdiest sections of the frame.

David
Old 10-30-2001, 12:09 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, having spent more time underneath the car than I used to, I'll go ahead & give the engine jacking point a whirl. It just looks awefully delicate, the mating point of those two halves of the crankcase!!
Old 10-30-2001, 12:16 AM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

Another option is to use a pair of ramps under the rear wheels. Jack the car up at one of the rear jack points and place a ramp under the rear tire on that side (sideways works nicely because of the wide tires). Then do the same to the other side.

Will
Old 10-30-2001, 12:19 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

Thumbs up

Luis
I purchased an Eagle 6000PT midrise lift and couldnt be happier. It is extremely easy to use and only takes a minute to place the jack pads into position and begin lifting. I installed the full euro M030 suspension (front/rear & sways) in about four hours. It took about 2 1/2 days on my brothers 993 cab. 993's are very simple cars to maintain if you have full access to the underside.

Jim
Old 10-30-2001, 01:07 AM
993Widebody
Racer

Originally posted by Robert Henriksen:
<STRONG>I use the rear jack point, and then place the rear jackstand underneath the round suspension point just aft of the jack point.

</STRONG>
I've done this as well, but don't like using the suspension point because it looks like either this suspension point could break, or possibly the jack stand could slip off the suspension point at the wrong time
Old 10-30-2001, 01:12 PM
993Widebody
Racer

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like unless you want to use the engine to jack up the rear, you cannot jack up the car and use jack stands.

Of course you could use the round suspension points to either jack up the car or put a jack stand under it. This looks like the only other viable option.
Old 10-30-2001, 05:13 PM
Tom T.
Instructor

Originally posted by jw97C2S:
<STRONG>Luis
I purchased an Eagle 6000PT midrise lift and couldnt be happier. It is extremely easy to use and only takes a minute to place the jack pads into position and begin lifting.</STRONG>
Hi Jim,

Can you tell us where you bought this lift?

Thanks!

Tom
1995 993
Old 10-30-2001, 08:26 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

Tom
Sure, I purchased it at Eagle Equipment. It was the PMR-6000 model midrise. Here is the site: http://www.eagleequip.com/products/l...se/pmr6000.htm

I'll try to post a picture of my 993 but if it doesnt work just email me and I'll send a picture. If you decide the buy it contact me beforehand so you can get at least my reduced price deal.

Jim
jwillia915@earthlink.net

Quick Reply: Jacking up the 993...boring topic but still a problem.