Big Red install question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 01:44 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Big Red install question...

Half my shipment has arrived and the front calipers still have the lines attached. Can I remove them and just use the OEM ones on my car already? If so, is it easier to thread on the other end and should I then leave lines in the calipers when I mount them? Last time I did a caliper R&R on a 993, it was a real b!tch to get that line (already on the car) to thread into the caliper. Sorry if this is a confusing question. Also, will this take more than one bleed to get it totally right? Thanks.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:42 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. I unthreaded them at the caliper. Helps if someone helps to hold the line while you use both hands to spin the caliper.

I probably used more than one can of ATE.

I hope you got the 993RS rear and not the regular 993TT rear. Also, did you replace the front caliper bolts? You're supposed to put in a new set put I've heard of folks who just reused them. Same with the bolts that locate the rotors.

When I bought mine, the calipers came as is with no lines, just a red screw in plastic plug.

Btw, don't you want to wait for all four calipers before doing the install?
Old 06-20-2004, 01:12 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not doing the install until they're all here and totally cleaned up, touched up, etc. Two rotor hats are primed zinc now and two calipers are cleaned up pretty well. Any idea on what kind or color code of touch up paint I can buy to fix some of the nicks in the red paint? They were not packed too well and knocked into each other.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:47 AM
Agro1
Banned

Originally posted by Rick Lee
They were not packed too well and knocked into each other.
If they came from a retailer that way, I'd send them back and demand replacements. It's not like you paid for friggin oil filters. Yeah, they will work fine as is, but I'd make a point to try and make life as difficult as possible for the moron who packed them...but then again, that's just me
Re: your question, I'd take this opportunity to switch over to SS lines. Subjectively cheap upgrade that will last forever. Rubber hoses make me nervous...Especially when they carry hydraulic fluid.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:37 PM
achtung Englander
Advanced

Hey Rezal,
I just bought a set of Big Reds and have the standard TT rear caliper, what is wrong with using that rather tahn the RS one?
Thanks
Ian
Old 06-20-2004, 09:24 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Ian:

wrt the rear calipers to run with the Big Red TT fronts, there are folks who prefer the RS rear caliper as it has larger diameter pistons and provides for more rear brake bias. Other have said that they run the TT rears and report no issues.

If you analyze it all out, the TT F / TT R give more front bias than the stock 993. The TT F / RS R gives slightly more bias to the run than the 993 stock. In the end, I think a lot depends on the total setup of the car and driver's preference.

FWIW, if I had my choice, I would agree with Rezal and opt for the RS rears. It is not that much more $$$...

Regards
Old 06-20-2004, 11:48 PM
vuugti
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rick -

I agree with Jim and Rezal, I have the RS rears with the TT fronts, it gives a nice feel to the car. I did notice that it does through way more dust in the rear though. I believe Viken commented in an earlier post about there being a second bias valve.

Agro is right with the crappy pack job, mine came through the same way. I used them anyway rather than incur more shipping charges and delay my project. I let the small chip I had go.

The new line your refering to is a hard line no? I mounted the caliper then screwed it into the caliper, you shouldn't have aproblem there. I highly recommend replacing your rubber lines with new while your at it. New caliper bolts also a must as they are aluminum.

Should you have any more qts. fire away.

Good luck,
Andy
Old 06-21-2004, 12:05 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I bought these brakes used, but was told on the phone they looked excellent. Since they came from Europe, no way I'm sending them back and making this into a huge PITA. I'll touch 'em up and have it all done next weekend. No new brake lines just yet. I flush my brakes before every track event, so I'll get around to new lines eventually. Installed Bilstein HD's today, Big Reds and tranny fluid flush next weekend. Then I'm gonna enjoy this damn car for the rest of the summer!!!
Old 06-21-2004, 06:56 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

If you analyze it all out, the TT F / TT R give more front bias than the stock 993. The TT F / RS R gives slightly more bias to the run than the 993 stock. In the end, I think a lot depends on the total setup of the car and driver's preference.
Correct only there needs to be more emphasis on the magnitude of front bias w/ the 992tt 28/28 rear calipers. It's huge.

The RS 30/36 rear calipers have slightly more rear bias than many want, but that can be easily altered w/ a mild acting p/v

Check here for specifics
Old 06-21-2004, 08:06 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Rick,

Be sure to use high temperature paint as the calipers will get very hot at the track and any normal paint will not hold up.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing them.

Skip
Old 06-27-2004, 02:14 AM
blackcat
Racer

Hi all

Does anyone have the torque settings for the rear caliper bolts handy?

TIA
Pete

Quick Reply: Big Red install question...