Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you had 5k to blow on speed mods...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 07:15 PM
adventureandexploration
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post If you had 5k to blow on speed mods...

My brother has a 1996 993 Twin Turbo. He has been investigating what his options are regarding speed modifications. He has been told to modify the chip, and he has been told that is not possible. I have an s4 and the chip is amazing. Anyone know if it is the same for the 993's?

Appreciate any info on speed mods that he can do.

thanks.
Old 07-10-2001, 08:59 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I was told that the Audi was designed to accomodate the chip . Don't know about Porsche.
Old 07-10-2001, 09:09 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Tell your brother to call Steve Weiner at Rennposrts 503-244-0990, Steve is the authority in helping other p-car owners doing upgrades.P-car.com
Old 07-11-2001, 12:40 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

Tell your brother to learn to drive the sucker. I would bet that only about 10% of the drivers out there can extract 90% of the potential of these cars.

If all he wants is better acceleration, I say he isn't driving it right! Or else is craving the 1/4 mile acceleration of a "Murrican bigf-block hot rod - so go out and buy one!

Sorry, just seems incredible that someone ain't satisfied with a TT performance.
Old 07-11-2001, 03:11 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 352 Posts
Thumbs down

My curmudgeon side is coming out: I have got to go with Ray on this one. I suggest your Bro take the car to the track, acquire a quality driving instructor, where he can really wring out the car and possibly soil his drawers. Once he has mastered the car at track speed, and he is in the top 20% time wise in drivers in has class, then it is time to consider mods.

Your Bro may want to consider some sticky tires for the track, Pirellis and Hoosiers have 18" tires for the 993 TT car. The least expensive mod to extract cornering, stopping and acceleration out of the car will be these tires, at about $1,000 a set of 18" tires. Count on spending another $2,000 on a second set of wheels.

If he is going to go fast, a set of 5 or 6 point seat belts would be in order, about $300 a set. In addition, a roll bar would be a good idea, $300 for an Autopower bar, about $900 for a DAS-sport bolt in bar, available from Performance Products in CA.

As it seems, with wheels, tires, belts and a bar, we have just about chewed up $5,000 with just enough change to pay for the track entry fees.

Here is where my level of expertise on the 993 TT stops. As Robin has suggested, Steve Weiner at Rennsport in Portland can make the car go super fast, as can Andial, as can Vision Motorsports, as can Hergersheimer Motorsports, as can....the list is endless.

You bro is a fortunate guy. The 993 TT may be one of the best cars produced in the last 100 years. I have my eye on one, one of these days. Also, you may want to re-post your question on the 993 Turbo Board. Now these guys will help you lighten that wallet!

Old 07-11-2001, 09:00 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

What the other posters said above is true. Tires and suspension will make that car quicker around the track than anything else.

As far as ECU's go. There are only a few possible ways I would go.

First, you can not replace the chips in a 1996 Twin Turbo ECU. It uses 2 proprietary chips that aren't available any longer. However, you can buy a 1997 ECU (Different style chip) and ship it to Steve Weiner to re-program, or buy a FVD ECU from Mike Schatz at Schatzmotorsports, or get an ECU from Andial. Those are the three options that are probably the best. I had Steve reprogram a new '97 ECU I bought and retained the old ECU in case I wanted to put the car back to stock (which I did later).

Rick

More Info at: http://www.993tt.com
Old 07-12-2001, 01:41 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Question

Rick What happened to "the Program", Piggyback ECU option?

Mine is going in this week end.
Old 07-12-2001, 01:49 AM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Pat,

For a N/A engine, I suppose it's okay, but be careful running our Oregon re-formulated gas in the winter.

However, I know of someone who put one on his TT and it created detonation. He now has a FVD ECU and GT1 Street turbos and it's much stronger now.

I also watched as one was put in a 996, and created a whole 12-15 HP. The owner wasn't too thrilled.

Rick
Old 07-12-2001, 02:29 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks Rick.

12-15HP!!! Many I was only expecting between 5-10HP. I am not entirely sure why folks feel that it is easy to achieve anymore than 5HP with mods that don't open the engine up or are costly. HP is not cheap, and manufacturers (including Porschse) are simply not giving it away anymore. I have seen cars that are chipped and or Piggybacked and got less than 5HP from the baseline dyno.

I don't know if you know Louis Ott (drives a White 90 928GT here in Portland), he will be doing the install for me and I have witnessed a number of his other on 928's and other cars. So I was suprised to hear that I could get a 12-15HP gain with the PiggyBack ECU in the 96 993. What is the FVD ECU and what is the difference between that and the Program? Where can I get one if I start experiencing detonation during the winter months or can the Piggyback ECU be adjusted to accept the winter gas? Will the FVD ECU deliver any more HP?

Thanks in advance and sorry about all the questions but, better to know now than later.
Old 07-12-2001, 06:01 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pat,

You can get 15-18HP with one of Rennsport Systems' Re-programmed ECU's. You should give Steve a call. 503-244-0990

You said that someone locally was installing the ProGram for you? Did you know that it takes a load dyno to properly "Tweak" the ProGram? I don't know of anyone locally that has that type of dyno.

Also, I really doubt you could feel a 5-10HP increase.

The FVD stuff I am aware of is for Twin Turbos.

Rick

Quick Reply: If you had 5k to blow on speed mods...