Sponsored by:

Does the Type Battery Matter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 04:26 PM
SeanD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Does the Type Battery Matter?

I went out to my car this AM to go to work and it was dead... nothing. I hope the draining problem that the dealer had told me was corrected is not back. I have not driven it in 3 days due to foul weather. Maybe I just left something on.

What a pain in the rear to get the battery out!

So, I went to the local Pep-Boys (only car parts store nearby in my town) the guy at the counter looked up the year and model of the Porsche and said it was a specifica part and had only one in stock.

I have yet to install it as I am at work, but the battery is an Energizer..

Any concerns here? There is a tube in the car as well next to the battery. What is this for?

TIA
Old 07-09-2001, 04:40 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know about the Energizer (is that the same as the bunny battery?) but I have always replaced my Porsche batteries with a Sears Die Hard International and never had problems. They seem to be as worry free as batteries can be.
Old 07-09-2001, 05:03 PM
SeanD
Instructor

Yep,

Same as the bunny! You answered my question though which is to say that you don't need a specific battery manufacturer as long as you get the correct type for a 993.

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2001, 05:36 PM
john.rogers
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Sean:

Likewise I had to get a battery recently from my local parts store. Got the best one they had due to the extra juice that Porsches seem to need.
The tube you mentioned is for the vent on the battery. It vents the exhausted battery vapors overboard. I'm not sure how this squares with "sealed" batteries but our battery does fit in a closed trunk so the vent is probably a good idea. It is a sucker to get on the battery, however. Try a hairdryer to soften up the vent tube if you are having trouble.
I "hot exchanged" mine so there was always a battery connected to the car. I understand that if you disconnect the battery completely you will need at least the radio codes to 'restart' your radio. I didn't have them. I also think you loose the data stored in the on board computer as well. Not sure if that is a big deal unless you are planning to have it serviced soon.

Good luck.

John
Old 07-09-2001, 05:42 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same question a while ago and you're right, as long as it is the correct type it should be fine. There was a discussion about the Optima Orange Top batteries. I believe they were recommended because in many instances these P-cars tend to sit idle for extended periods. Also, the Optimas are sealed and supposedly better able to withstand extreme vibration, i.e. DE and track time. Couldn't locate one easily so went with another.

Optima pic
Old 07-09-2001, 06:16 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Still learning. Maybe this works.

Optima pic
Old 07-09-2001, 06:40 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Sam,

That's a pic of the Orange top Optima in my car. As you can see, a bit of jerry-rigging was required to get the positive terminal cable to attach (because of the inboard location of the terminals and the rigid, right-degree-angle "kink" in the Porsche cable).

I ended up using a battery disconnect switch ($10 from Tweeks), but would have liked to find something a bit less tall. The battery disconnect switch butts right up against the underside of the trunk carpet.

I'm still happy I went this route. As Sean mentioned, it's not so fun or practical to access the batteries on our cars, and I like the idea that I'll never have to add water. Also, it's completely sealed and leak-proof, so the vent tube is not needed, and the floorpan is safe from spilled acid. Also, the CCA (cold cranking amps) are higher than on most traditional type 48 batteries.

I agree with the current limited availability. I ordered mine directly from David Willman at Optima (dwillman@optimabatteries.com, (800)292-4359 x 486, (303) 344-9905 fax). Unit cost me $135, including shipping.
Old 07-09-2001, 07:38 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Generic battery type is a Type 48 - made by most manufacturers but not exactly a universally used size.

If you remove the plastic nosepiece that the front of the trunk carpet clips to, it greatly eases the battery removal/installation. Once I did this, had no problems with removal/installation.
Old 07-09-2001, 07:58 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anir,

Even with the jerry-rigging, the installation looks good. Thanks for the contact info. Next time I will go with the Optima. Spilled acid in a not easily accessible location is bad news for the steel body. I learned it the hard way in a trunk-mounted OEM battery in an E30 BMW.
Old 07-09-2001, 09:08 PM
SeanD
Instructor

I got the battery in!

I removed the front plastic unit that holds the front carpet clips. Then I removed the spare tire (only to find the wingnut is missing to hold it down!) and the compressor etc.

Got the battery in and was a perfect fit. The car started.

Now the test is to see if it will hold a charge for an extended period. I had the old battery tested on a machine that took 1/2 hour to check each cell and it was dead 100%.

I could not get the round tube into the oval-shaped spout at all. I will try the hair dryer trick.. thank you. Will I be in any danger NOT having it connected?

Time will tell if:

1. I still have a drainage problem.
2. The old battery was indeed just old.

I go on vacation next week Sunday to Sunday on a surf trip then to Boston for a week on business after that. If the car is dead after that then I'll have my answer.

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: SeanD ]
Old 07-09-2001, 10:28 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Question

Sean,

Where are you going surfing? Aren't you close to Sebastian Inlet?
Old 07-10-2001, 01:19 AM
SeanD
Instructor

Sam,

Yes I'm about 15 miles north on A1A of the Inlet.

I moved to Florida from Atlanta about a year ago and always take a week off to got to Hatteras for a surf trip. Seems silly going from Florida to NC for surf, but Cape Hatteras has the most consistent surf on the east coast and has been good this time of year for the last 4 years (knock on fiberglass..)

From Atlanta it was 10 hours from FL its about 17, so I'm flying this year. It's been so flat here on FL for over 2 months I'm going crazy... but my 993 looks really good now!

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: SeanD ]
Old 07-10-2001, 10:51 AM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking

Sean,

You need to throw a Thule rack on the 993 and strap down 2 or 3 thrusters and head up to the Lighthouse. Sounds like a cool idea, but I guess that's what the Cherokee is for.
Old 07-10-2001, 12:15 PM
SeanD
Instructor

You got it! My grand has been a great surf-mobile. I have it in the shop now getting Thorley headers, Flowmaster Exhaust, 02 Sensor, etc. put on as I had a cracked manifold and the stock exhaust was getting a bit rusty from the salt air. I've got 117K great surf trip miles logged on the 'ol girl. I hope she'll last until 200K.

Here's a pic taken this year at the Inlet: (thats me in there)

Pray for surf!

Old 07-10-2001, 12:33 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking

How long have you had the Cherokee? Thats like CA style SUVs with the dual straight back exhausts and 35's with brush guards, etc. When I was out in San Clemente, the preferred ride was an all white Suburban with a worked 350 that had a 3 inch Rancho lift and 35's. Now that is a tough surf vehicle.

Quick Reply: Does the Type Battery Matter?