Pic of remote V1 display installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 12:21 AM
Temple
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Pic of remote V1 display installed

Some folks had asked me to post a photo of how I placed my remote V1 display. I had a stereo shop hardwire it. Its atop a few pieces of black padding so it clears the "lip" of the dash (makes sense if you look at that section of the dash). Anyway, I like it as its visible in the corner of your eye without needing to look away from the road. The main unit is right above the rear view mirror. I have an older remote display, but think the newer, larger ones would fit as well. Just an FYI...
Old 05-28-2002, 12:28 AM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How is the main unit attached above the mirror? Can you post a pic of the main unit as well?

The police in my home town are getting worse and worse. I'm getting close to the point of ordering a V1.
Old 05-28-2002, 12:48 AM
B-Line home
Racer

Hey Kevin,

The V1 comes with two mounts, a suction mount and a clip mount.

I am assuming that Temple is using the suction mount and has it attached to the window.
Old 05-28-2002, 12:50 AM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
B, yeah I used the suction cups when I had a unit a long time ago, but they didn't hold the unit some times when it got hot. Wondering if people use doublesided tape or something else for extra support.
Old 05-28-2002, 09:11 AM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used double sided foam tape in the suction cups and they have been on for over 1 year with no problems.

Tom
Old 05-28-2002, 10:20 AM
Gene
Track Day

I didn't like the suction cups for mounting and I wanted to mount it just under the rear view mirror. Made a 'U' shaped bracket and rivited it to the visor clip that comes with the V1. The upper ends of the 'U' are attached to the mirror mount with small screws. It's a rigid mount but the V1 unit can be removed as intended by sliding it out of the visor clip mount. Also, it is hard wired so I do not have the coiled wire hanging down.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:45 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I hard wired mine in this weekend. I put the remote in the ashtray. Interestingly enough, now that I have moved the head unit up high just above the rearview mirror, I am not getting all of the false alerts that I used to get on my regular drive into work. (It used to be mounted with the coiled cord 4 or 5 inches up from the dash.)
I assumed that I would get increased alerts due to the simple fact of being mounted higher.Anyone else ever experinect this?
Old 05-28-2002, 12:52 PM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
I noticed that where it is mounted does make a difference. For my city driving it is a lot of falses anyway. I just use the coil wire, suction cups and mount only a few inches up on the dash.

When I took a long roadtrip, I used the longer wire and mounted under the mirror. It is pretty easy to run the cord over the steering wheel, along the windshield up across the visor. I would love a fixed wire, but for now it's pretty low on my list..
Old 05-28-2002, 01:18 PM
john.rogers
Intermediate

Valentine - Mini Display - Know Problem on P-cars

I recently installed my Valentine by connecting it to the "hot" wire from the radio. It works fine BUT there is radio interference on AM (only) stations. Valentine tech support confirmed radio interence is a know problem if installed with the Mini Display unit on P-Cars. The problem is with the mini display. Valentine does not know the cause and speculates that the way to fix it is with a redesign of the mini display. They have no plans to do this, however. I inquired if there was a filter that I could add to the electrical supply line and their answer is no.

I would be curious if others have found this to be a problem and has anyone figured out a fix?

Regards,

John
Old 05-28-2002, 01:49 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I connected mine to the hot wire on the sunroof switch.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:57 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by john:
<strong>I would be curious if others have found this to be a problem</strong><hr></blockquote>

John
I too hot wired to the radio wire and use the remote display, but have NOT experienced any radio interference.

Scott
I assume the decrease in falsing when you relocated the V1 resulted from decreased sensitivity caused by the windshield tinting because <a href="http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt1.asp" target="_blank">"some windshields ruin radar detection range, cut it by 95%."</a>

BTW, here's a rather complete
<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=001149" target="_blank">Valentine 1 Install thread.</a>
Old 05-28-2002, 02:47 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I'll hang it down beneath the tint zone and see if it changes and get back to you all. Unfortunately, that would kind of negate the stealthiness of my current tucked-up arrangement
Old 05-28-2002, 04:29 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 21 Posts
That same section also noted that there was no loss in laser detection between the tinted and non tinted portion of a 98 993tt.

David
Old 05-28-2002, 05:48 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by ScottMellor:
<strong>I'll hang it down beneath the tint zone and see if it changes and get back to you all. Unfortunately, that would kind of negate the stealthiness of my current tucked-up arrangement</strong><hr></blockquote>

Scott
My mount is as high as possible above the mirror. I've not experienced any meaningful decrease in alert range for any band. Although, IMO, the "stealthiness" from inside & outside the car would be worth any slight decrease.
Old 05-28-2002, 09:18 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I agree. I'd be surprised if that very light tint at the top of the windshield could have such a big effect. I'm not getting a 95% reduction in sensitivity, I just noticed that a couple of places where I always get a chirp or two did not show up this morning after mounting up on high.

Quick Reply: Pic of remote V1 display installed