Motor Sound Mufflers - sound clips

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 01:14 PM
ch3tman
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Motor Sound Mufflers - sound clips

Hi all,

(before anyone suggests, am well aware of both the Fister I/II/III and Carnewal RSR muffler options - both well regarded and rightfully so!)

Having searched the archives, there are appears to be little in the way of sound clips or video to show the Motor Sound Mufflers in action, and the difference they offer over standard mufflers.

Gert describes them "a bit louder than the normal 993 mufflers" :

http://www.carnewal.com/products/993...Sound-Mufflers

But it would be nice to hear them - ideally back to back with stock mufflers - to be able to hear the difference between the two.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance
Old 08-07-2023, 01:39 PM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Sorry cannot help as mine are installed with a Fabspeed sport cat system. I would imagine a cheaper route for you would be to have the LPMM ( Leyland Pete muffler mod) done to your stock cans. Basically a crossover pipe between the two tubes on your existing muffler.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-the-lpmm.html

The following users liked this post:
ch3tman (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 06:32 PM
ch3tman
Racer

Thanks for your input @HalfGerman . Ironically my car once had that crossover pipe mod carried out and was reversed prior to my ownership - there are little stubs with caps on each of the inlet and outlet pipes of the muffler!

As I daily my 993, and already run 200 cell cats, I felt the Motor Sound Mufflers may offer a slightly more 'fruity' note - but not a too OTT - to the exhaust (whereas Fisters and RSRs may be a step too far for that office commute).

Last edited by pp000830; 10-09-2023 at 07:26 PM.
-Teme- (08-12-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 01:19 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

I recently went from Fister 2, back to Motorsound mufflers (which the car originally had).

Fister 2 is about 50% louder when you stomp the accelerator.

Motorsound makes a decent noise also.

Fister 2 has less basically no drone. Motorsound has slight drone.

All that being said, I should have just left the Fister 2 on the car. My goal by going back to the OEM muffler is that I wanted a quieter ride. Other than during heavy acceleration, OEM doesn't really do that.

Fister 1 probably would, but I don't have interest in going down that path.
The following 2 users liked this post by crw:
-Teme- (08-12-2023), ch3tman (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 04:10 PM
ch3tman
Racer

Originally Posted by crw
Motorsound makes a decent noise also.

Fister 2 has less basically no drone. Motorsound has slight drone.
Thanks for chiming in.

Quite disappointing to hear an Porsche option / OEM product suffers from drone!

I'm guess it appears at that 2.5k-3.5k range where you're typically steadily cruising on the motorway/highway?
Old 08-08-2023, 06:26 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

It's hard to say, at cruising speed on the highway it's noisier than Fister 2 for sure. Drone might not be the right term? I would say that give the choice of Fister vs. Motorsound on the highway, I would choose Fister in retrospect.
Old 08-09-2023, 09:24 AM
Rudey08
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Surprised to hear about the Motorsound drone issue. I wonder if @HalfGerman has experienced drone with his sport cat setup? Would be interested to hear. Im looking to go the same route with 200 cell crossover pipe and Motorsound boxes. I currently have Fister stage 1 and i love the volume level with that mod. Ill probably need to backpedal on the exhaust to keep the level where it is. With the hot humid weather weather we get in Charleston this time of year, i actually have a drone / low frequency resonance (only at idle) with the stage 1 mod!

Last edited by Rudey08; 08-09-2023 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-09-2023, 11:20 AM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Hmm, interesting. No drone at all for me with Motorsound and sport cats. Last month took a 3 hr drive to Maine (each way) at mostly 80 mph, no issues. My best friend was with me and commented "this is a great road trip car".

Made a quick vid.

Harold

Last edited by HalfGerman; 08-09-2023 at 12:00 PM. Reason: video
ch3tman (08-14-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 02:45 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

I was out today doing 80MPH on a 60 mile trip.

Definitely louder at cruising speed than Fister 2.

I installed the mufflers over the winter.

I think I might take them off, sand the flanges and donuts areas a bit then re-install with some paste product designed to eliminate any exhaust leak.

It's possible that I might have a slight leak at the muffler/cat interface of muffler/muffler tip interface?

One I 1st remove the motorsound mufflers from the car, I traded them into towards Fister (back in the day when the C4S was bought for $50K (had 20,000 miles on it).

I bought some motorsound mufflers off a RL member this past year (they were off a different car), so it's possible that the flange fittings are not as good as they could be.
ch3tman (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 09:19 AM
ch3tman
Racer

Originally Posted by HalfGerman
Hmm, interesting. No drone at all for me with Motorsound and sport cats. Last month took a 3 hr drive to Maine (each way) at mostly 80 mph, no issues. My best friend was with me and commented "this is a great road trip car".

Made a quick vid.

Harold
Thank you for going to the trouble of making a video - much appreciated. Your exhaust system sounds great (although perhaps a bit too much for daily driving?) - however - suspect the nature of the tone is largely dictated by your Fabspeed Sport Cats, hence difficult to know what changes the Motorsound Mufflers (alone) bring!

Originally Posted by crw
I was out today doing 80MPH on a 60 mile trip.

Definitely louder at cruising speed than Fister 2.

I installed the mufflers over the winter.

I think I might take them off, sand the flanges and donuts areas a bit then re-install with some paste product designed to eliminate any exhaust leak.

It's possible that I might have a slight leak at the muffler/cat interface of muffler/muffler tip interface?

One I 1st remove the motorsound mufflers from the car, I traded them into towards Fister (back in the day when the C4S was bought for $50K (had 20,000 miles on it).

I bought some motorsound mufflers off a RL member this past year (they were off a different car), so it's possible that the flange fittings are not as good as they could be.
Thanks for posting back. So in summary the drone you hear may be from a leak, rather than the characteristic of the Motorsound Mufflers themselves. If and when you have a moment to look into that, please do post back with your findings .
Old 08-14-2023, 01:09 PM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

I wish you well on your search. Sound is so subjective. Obviously that sound is not the same from the drivers seat, less noticeable. If you were closer I would invite you to stop by and see in person so you can make an accurate observation if it was right for you. Once again good luck on the exhaust hunt.

Harold
Old 10-26-2023, 10:50 AM
ch3tman
Racer

Smile Sound Clip

I'm going to answer my own question from the original post

Originally Posted by ch3tman
But it would be nice to hear them - ideally back to back with stock mufflers - to be able to hear the difference between the two.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance
Firstly, thanks to @boomboomthump for his helpful post here which helped derive correct part numbers: 993-forum/#post17961380

The idea behind considering Motorsound Mufflers over the more popular items (such as Carnewal RSR and Fister II and III) stems from wanting a more subtle upgrade, explained by the objectives below.

[Objective]
• Improve factory exhaust note in tasteful manner (hence opting for a Porsche offering!)
• Avoid booming/resonance,
• Continue to be commute friendly,
• Remain refined enough for family fun,

View this post on Instagram

[Sound Clips]
With that, here's the back to back comparisons; video/sound clips cover:
  • Cold Start & Idle & Rev (before, with Porsche Stock VS after, with Porsche Motorsound)
  • Warm Idle & Rev ((before, with Porsche Stock VS after, with Porsche Motorsound))

Not sure how else to share a 90 sec video, other than Instagram. For those not on the platform, you should still be able to play the video without signing up:

(hope it's viewable)

View this post on Instagram

[Early Impressions]
• Offers a 15-20% louder, 'raw', tone owing to internal bypass pipe design,
• A few more crackles on WOT,
• No booming/resonance at cruising speeds (50/60/70mph),
• Change in tone more noticeable at 4k rpm and above,

[Summary]
• Fulfils the objective very well,
• Couples with 200 cell cat harmoniously without being obtrusive,
• *NB: Porsche MotorSound is more subtle than Carnewal's RSR and FD Motorsports' Fister offerings.

Last edited by ch3tman; 10-26-2023 at 01:07 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ch3tman:
993FJ80 (03-25-2024), AirCooledDXB (05-15-2024), ClassicAndy (07-14-2024)
Old 10-26-2023, 03:39 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 284 Posts

To the OP, whose 200 Cell cats are you using?
Old 10-26-2023, 09:43 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

How much of this difference is attributable to the Motorsport mufflers vs the sport cats?
Old 10-27-2023, 02:44 AM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Good to hear you are satisfied. Reason I went to Motorsound mufflers is that I wanted a little bit louder than just sport cats, but wanted something reversible in case it was too much for me.
ch3tman (10-27-2023)

Quick Reply: Motor Sound Mufflers - sound clips