Sponsored by:

Motor Sound Mufflers - sound clips

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 11:51 AM
ch3tman
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
To the OP, whose 200 Cell cats are you using?
The 200 cell cats on the car were an option here in the UK many years ago, a bunch of 993 owners did a group buy with the vendor for supply & install. Not sure of brand, sorry.
If upgrading the cat again today, I'd opt for HJS or SCART, pretty much exclusively.

Originally Posted by Paolo1
How much of this difference is attributable to the Motorsport mufflers vs the sport cats?
The 200 cell cats were on the car already, per the 'BEFORE' videos, if you managed to see/hear them?
So the difference you hear in the clips above, is the difference the MotorSound Mufflers, only, make.

Originally Posted by HalfGerman
Good to hear you are satisfied. Reason I went to Motorsound mufflers is that I wanted a little bit louder than just sport cats, but wanted something reversible in case it was too much for me.
Yep, very similar reasoning to me. Even though loud and obtrusive seems to be the 'fashion' these days, I wanted something more subtle and tasteful - especially given I use the car for all purposes. If it was just a Sunday/sunny day car, sure, the louder options may have been considered.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:57 AM
ch3tman
Racer

Originally Posted by Paolo1
How much of this difference is attributable to the Motorsport mufflers vs the sport cats?
100% of any difference you hear is attributable to the Motorsound Mufflers alone, given the 200 Cell Cats were already on the car, per the ''BEFORE' clips.

EDIT: Just realised this was answered above, already

As an aside, still happy with the mufflers .

Last edited by ch3tman; 03-19-2024 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-15-2024, 12:42 PM
AirCooledDXB
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you for this @ch3tman you just helped me decide on my 993 C4S setup! Will go for SCART 100 cell cat + Motorsound mufflers
Old 05-16-2024, 09:39 AM
ch3tman
Racer

Originally Posted by AirCooledDXB
Thank you for this @ch3tman you just helped me decide on my 993 C4S setup!
Glad you found it helpful!

Top tip: double and triple check the part numbers. All muffler part numbers are very similar and many have been superseded.
Use the link towards the beginning of post#12 to assist .

Originally Posted by AirCooledDXB
Will go for SCART 100 cell cat + Motorsound mufflers
Now you're talking . That would be my ideal exhaust set up (with full respect to Carnewal RSRs and Fisters I/II/III which are obviously quality and popular solutions in their own right).

Since I already had 200 cell cats, and SCART a less favourable option for us in the UK since BREXIT , I didn't go for it. But doing it all again, that combo would be first choice. Having heard each in isolation, can only imagine the sum of both will be greater - please post up some sound clips once up and running?
Old 05-16-2024, 11:04 AM
AirCooledDXB
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

Cheers!

I'll do it in stages and will record stock > MotorSound > MotorSound + 100 cell SCART cat

The following users liked this post:
ch3tman (05-16-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 03:36 AM
ClassicAndy
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 103 Posts

Another happy chap reporting in with the motorsound / fabspeed sports cat combo here!

Thanks Chet for the influence on me resulting in spending more $$ on my 993

I had the Dansk sports mufflers combined with fabspeed sportscat on a modified engine with supersport cams. My impression on comparing the two, is that the Dansk mufflers have a larger dim on the piping, is buildt from stainless steel and weigh in at 2/3 of the weight compared to the motorsounds mufflers.
The Dansk do offer a performance gain, but with SS cams its too much unfiltered «motorsport» for me on cold startups. Neigbours and others feedback and reactions resulted in lesser use of my 993, hence the reason for aquiring a more subtle muffler without sacrificing the sports cat.

Gert @ Carnewal deliverd the parts as usual and I must say he have been (and still is) a fantastic source of OE priced 993 stuff over the years. Highly recomended!

Driving impressions after install is as stated further up, no droning at all (!), more early neigbour freindly cold engine startups and it really sings and opens up when going WOT. It still burbles and crackles on cruising, but not too extreme.
There is a deep throathy sound on idle and a bit more sound coming out than on regular mufflers. Just about perfect Another happy chap reporting in with the motorsound / fabspeed sports cat combo here!

I had the Dansk sports mufflers combined with fabspeed sportscat on a modified engine with supersport cams. My impression on comparing the two, is that the Dansk mufflers have a larger dim on the piping, is buildt from stainless steel and weigh in at 2/3 of the weight compared to the motorsounds mufflers.
The Dansk do offer a performance gain, but with SS cams its too much unfiltered «motorsport» for me on cold startups. Neigbours and others feedback and reactions resulted in lesser use of my 993, hence the reason for aquiring a more subtle muffler without sacrificing the sports cat.

Gert @ Carnewal deliverd the parts as usual and I must say he have been (and still is) a fantastic source of OE priced 993 stuff over the years. Highly recomended!

Driving impressions after install is as stated further up, no droning at all (!), more early neigbour freindly cold engine startups and it really sings and opens up when going WOT. It still burbles and crackles on cruising, but not too extreme. There is a deep throathy sound on idle and a bit more sound than on regular mufflers. Just about perfect for me.
On the downside, with a more quiter exhaust note than before, I can now hear more of the gearbox chatter after the MWLF install and with the RS engine and gearbox mounts, the transferable sounds become more apparent. Its subtle, but its there. Not an issue for me nor have it been mentioned by others riding along.
(I havent opened up these and looked inside, but I guess they are filled with steel wool or similar, and I imagine the motorsounds mufflers over the years will produce more and more sound as the steel wool inside will be burnt up).

I brought my better half on a day trip with the 993 yesterday and she immideatly said the car felt more quiter and refined than before. She then proceeded and gave med «nod of approval» and a request for more future excurtions in the 993

I guess its a successful upgrade then 😀🍻

The following 2 users liked this post by ClassicAndy:
alsamrob4 (07-15-2024), ch3tman (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 12:40 PM
ch3tman
Racer

Originally Posted by ClassicAndy
for your tastefully refined car Anders, it's an honour! .
I'll post back here in 6-12 months if the sound has developed further over time, as you post alludes to, though, I would surprised if the internal baffles would 'burn up' so quickly (given the life expectancy of mufflers in general).

Originally Posted by ClassicAndy
She then proceeded and gave med «nod of approval» and a request for more future excurtions in the 993

I guess its a successful upgrade then 😀🍻
...what more could you ask for!

Quick Reply: Motor Sound Mufflers - sound clips