993 Forum 1995-1998

Gawd, I love the sound of the LPMM

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 03:08 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Gawd, I love the sound of the LPMM

Just had this done to my muffers again! I just love the blab..blab..blab at idle, and how it sounds when wound up.

33 degrees outside at midnight, and I am driving with the window down to listen to the muffler mods!!

BTW...This is prob equivalent to a Fister stage 1?
Old 01-11-2016, 07:32 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
BTW...This is prob equivalent to a Fister stage 1?

Yes, just the crossover pipe between inlet & outlet.

Andreas
Old 01-11-2016, 09:04 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

My buddy has Fister 1s. They sound very nice over the factory cans. Was the mod done at a muffler shop?
Old 01-11-2016, 10:24 AM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Is this LPMM the crossover pipe welded only or there's any aditional modification inside of the muffler?

I was planning to do the crossover pipe only ( as DIY) but not sure what to expect. Unfortunately I can't send my mufflers to FD and get them back because I'm out of USA so I must do this my self.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:56 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep. Mod was done at a muffler shop for a reasonable price. Use 1.5 or 2 inch to connect the inlet and the outlet pipes.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:11 AM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by axl911
Yep. Mod was done at a muffler shop for a reasonable price. Use 1.5 or 2 inch to connect the inlet and the outlet pipes.
Thanks. I will use 2" and see what I get
Old 01-11-2016, 01:07 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DiegoR
Is this LPMM the crossover pipe welded only or there's any aditional modification inside of the muffler?

I was planning to do the crossover pipe only ( as DIY) but not sure what to expect. Unfortunately I can't send my mufflers to FD and get them back because I'm out of USA so I must do this my self.
Diego, I ordered some stainless 1.75" 1/8th bends. Did all of the grunt work/fabbing and then had a friend weld em up. I had previously opened the cans and gutted them. No drone and nice note. Not FD III's, but adequate for the $$$.
Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2016, 01:14 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Stage I here as well. Perfect.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:19 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default LPMM ... 2.25"plus.. diameter pipe. . .

The Leyland Pete muffler modification (LPMM) is a time honored DIY enhancement when the factories (993) uber quiet exhaust note doesn't cut it. When new (coming from a '84 Carrera) I must have stalled the coupe a 1/2 dozen times - for not hearing the exhaust. (Dam Swiss cows) ... The coupe would go on to live with the stock exhaust set-up for 10-12 years before undertaking the LPMM DIY.
.... Time for an exhaust upgrade and after looking around (Robin's RSR can mod, etc...) the DIY LPMM modification was the ticket. The 993's muffler R&R is a straightaway DIY as can be. In preparation for the task ahead new nut's/bolts/gaskets hardware were on hand (cleaned up the heat shields on the CAT & mufflers) leaving the exhaust system condition better than I found it.

Choose a large diameter 2.25" or larger sized pipe when fabricating/fitting the "bypass/short circuit". A bypass pipe constructed of larger sized diameter will fit around the smaller OEM sized pipe when intersecting. A local muffler shop provided the welding expertise.

The LPMM DIY cost all said and done was about $190 or $225; IIRC as the year was 2008. As with most DIY projects, having the exhaust/CAT components removed provided the space and visual access to clean the engine area somewhat . .

Originally Posted by DiegoR
Thanks. I will use 2" and see what I get
Old 01-11-2016, 02:50 PM
driveline
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does this compare w/ or w/o motor sound package? I have the motor sound package and wondered about this mod.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:42 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
The Leyland Pete muffler modification (LPMM) is a time honored DIY enhancement when the factories (993) uber quiet exhaust note doesn't cut it. When the 993 coupe was new I must have stalled the engine a half dozen times - for not hearing the engine. (Dam Swiss cows) ... The coupe would go on to live with the stock exhaust for about 10-12 years or so before undertaking the exhaust note fix.
.... Time for an exhaust upgrade and after looking around (Robin's muffler can mod's, etc) the DIY LPMM modification was the ticket. The 993's muffler R&R is a straightaway DIY as can be. In preparation for the task new nut's/bolts/gaskets hardware were on hand (cleaned up the heat shields on the CAT & mufflers) leaving the exhaust system better than before.

Choose a large diameter 2.25" or better sized pipe when fabricating/fitting the "bypass/short circuit". A bypass pipe constructed of larger sized diameter will fit around the smaller OEM sized pipe when intersecting. A local muffler shop provided the welding expertise.

The LPMM DIY cost all said and done was about $190 or $225; IIRC as the year was 2008. As with most DIY projects, having the exhaust/CAT components removed provided the space and visual access to clean the engine area somewhat . .

Alright, I will go with 2.25" instead as recomendation I will do this my self in my shop, it won't cost me other than the tube and bit of stainless steel weld.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:45 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by driveline
How does this compare w/ or w/o motor sound package? I have the motor sound package and wondered about this mod.
Way better than the MS exhaust!!
Old 01-11-2016, 05:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 52 Posts

now throw on the fabspeed cat bypass and you will really be impressed!

Ive had FDM stage 2 and 3, and motorsound with and without the cat bypass along with the lpmm mufflers most recently. the lpmm mufflers with the fabspeed cat bypass has been my favorite exhaust combination that ive tried. i've liked all the setups ive had, but the lpmm with the bypass has a really nice tuned "porsche" sound. combine that setup with the motorsound airbox and the upper rpm range is aircooled music.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:24 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default 993 w/Fabspeed CAT by-pass .... Oh yeah, Porsche 6cyl sound ..

+1 ... Agreed. I too have heard this exhaust combination. Wow.

Originally Posted by 405
now throw on the fabspeed cat bypass and you will really be impressed!

Ive had FDM stage 2 and 3, and motorsound with and without the cat bypass along with the lpmm mufflers most recently. the lpmm mufflers with the fabspeed cat bypass has been my favorite exhaust combination that ive tried. i've liked all the setups ive had, but the lpmm with the bypass has a really nice tuned "porsche" sound. combine that setup with the motorsound airbox and the upper rpm range is aircooled music.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:09 PM
JZ98-993
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Ok, I have the fab speed 200cell x-pipe with the max flow mufflers but it's way too conservative for me. This is the 3rd post I've read about the xpipe and LPMM combo as the best sound. I was thinking about having the max flows converted into fister stage 3 but now I'm not sure? Can the LPMM mod be done to the max flows with the same effect? Thx

Quick Reply: Gawd, I love the sound of the LPMM