Sponsored by:

Clock runs slow

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 11:31 PM
jbravenec
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clock runs slow

The clock in my 993 loses time. About an hour a day, although the rate seems to vary. I've searched this forum, Pelican and even used the almighty google to check the dark corners of the interwebs, but I can't find anyone else who's had a similar issue.

Should I look for a new (used) clock, or is this something another member has seen fixed successfully. If the latter, what was the fix?
Old 09-28-2022, 11:53 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts

Send it out to be fixed
Old 09-29-2022, 12:59 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Originally Posted by jbravenec
The clock in my 993 loses time. About an hour a day, although the rate seems to vary. I've searched this forum, Pelican and even used the almighty google to check the dark corners of the interwebs, but I can't find anyone else who's had a similar issue.

Should I look for a new (used) clock, or is this something another member has seen fixed successfully. If the latter, what was the fix?
Hi J,

Sounds like it is internal to the clock and so may need to be sent out for repair. First, verify that your battery and alternator are good by measuring the voltage of the system being 13.5 to 14.2 volts with the engine running and 12.6 Volts or more one or two minutes after turning the car off. If the voltage measurements are good pull the clock and get it serviced. My understanding is the clock is integral to how the alternator works so be aware you may run your battery down by driving the car with the clock out.

As far as DIY repairing the clock, it is a quarts solid state timer that controls the mechanical movement, Conceivably some dust or dirt is interfering with its movement, It is relatively easy to open up and look. I seem to recall one will need to release two solder joints on the circuit board with the display lamp sockets on it internal to the clock to get to the movement.
If you decide to take a look, take the opportunity to reheat the solder joints on the board and clean it with spray CRC QD Electronic cleaner or similar and adjust all the bulb socket contacts as they are known weaknesses in the clock. It is unlikely but an old cold solder joint to the two pins on the board that feeds power to the clock could be the problem and by just reheating them it may resolve your problem.

Be aware a 26+-year-old used clock from eBay that has been sitting out of service for a while may have problems of its own.

Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 09-29-2022 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-29-2022, 03:46 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 250 Posts

Don't bother with any battery voltage checking.
There are very few moving parts in these clocks. I often see these run slow when they have developed internal solder faults or electronic component failures. Keep any electronics cleaner far away from these instruments.
I normally spend 1/2 or 1 hour on the bench to repair these instruments.
This could also be intermittent contact on the main instrument connector, the connector pins are known for developing corrosion problems. However, I find it unlikely to the problem in this case.
Cheers,
Tore
The following users liked this post:
pp000830 (09-29-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 09:44 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ToreB
eep any electronics cleaner far away from these instruments.
Hi Tore, Yes, spraying electronic cleaner on the movements is a bad idea.
I could have been a bit clearer in my communication that cleaning the board with an electronic cleaner is done after the board is detached from its connection to the clock and the board is removed from the housing. This is something I have done to good effect.
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 09-29-2022 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-30-2022, 12:34 AM
GJSPIN
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Send to Hartmut at Palo Alto Speedometer. Once you remove it don't turn the ignition key on until you have reinstalled otherwise it will trip the Airbag light. Last, if you have never had your odometer gear replaced consider sending the speedo and the clock together.
pp000830 (09-30-2022)
Old 09-30-2022, 10:49 AM
jbravenec
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, all. Unfortunately with a job and two very active kids I don't see diagnosis and re-soldering in my future. So it sounds like PA speedometer it is!
Old 09-30-2022, 10:58 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GJSPINELLA
Send to Hartmut at Palo Alto Speedometer. Once you remove it don't turn the ignition key on until you have reinstalled otherwise it will trip the Airbag light. Last, if you have never had your odometer gear replaced consider sending the speedo and the clock together.

Hi Gary,
I did both the speedo gears and the cold solder joints in the clock as DIY projects years ago.
The only caveats are when ordering the replacement odometer gears one gets the correct set for their car and when opening up the speedo one needs to release the glass retaining ring by bending the back edge of it. This takes some thought and careful slow work to not distort the front visible side of the ring.
Andy

Discussed on pages below:

https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...own-issue.html

https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...ing-light.html

Last edited by pp000830; 09-30-2022 at 11:08 AM.
GJSPIN (09-30-2022)

Quick Reply: Clock runs slow