Old 04-29-2004, 09:02 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Varioram conversion??

Anyone here ever converted a 1995 to Varioram? Wondering if I could come up with a complete Vario intake assy., would it be worth the trouble and what would need to be done the with engine harness?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
Old 04-29-2004, 09:55 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris:

Just before I sold my RS replica for the move to the TT, I completed the ground work for doing the VRam conversion on my MY95.

If your car has had the engine wiring harness recall, then you should have the "universal" harness that already has the pigtails for the Varioram control solenoids. Assuming this, then here is a generalized list of what you need:

1.) Varioram Intake System most commonly sourced as a take off from someone who has done a Supercharger install. This should give you the aluminum castings, throttle body, and most all vacuum lines.

2.) The Secondary Air Injection pump is different. All pieces can be sourced new for about $300

3.) Brackets and linkage for cruise control servo. New parts price out at about $60

4.) Larger vacuum reservoir as used on the MY96-98 cars. Mounts on left side of the engine bay above the shock mount.

5.) Air cleaner box from Varioram car. This is a tough one to swallow as the back housing is only sold as a set from what I found and I did not find any used ones that were still good.

6.) Euro RS ECU. Still available new...

All told, the conversion could cost as little as $2000 to as much as $3500 depending on how many new parts are sourced. This is assuming you do this as a DIY...

Hope this helps

Regards
Old 04-29-2004, 11:56 PM
gst
Instructor

would there be noticeable difference in engine performance, smoothness, sound after the conversion? I am thinking of doing the same too to my 94 993.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2004, 01:04 AM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Whats a used varioram system worth?
Old 04-30-2004, 02:33 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Thanks Jim for the info!

This is just a semi-random thought at the moment. A good friend of mine that also has a '95 993 is keen on this upgrade as well. I believe he has found a donor intake assy. from a supercharger install. I am not sure what gets reused with s/c install's, so I dont know what is included with these varioram assy's. We should know more details soon...

Thanks again!
Old 04-30-2004, 02:35 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

One other question I forgot to ask:

Are the cyl heads different for 96 and up? I thought a larger intake valve was used, possibly a larger port as well?

If this is the case, I am not sure if I will realize the potential of this power gain??
Old 04-30-2004, 01:55 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Chris:

From what I know, the heads and valve sizes are the same on the MY95 and 96 cars. Now when you go to the 3.8, that's where things change.

The advantage of the Vram comes from having a variable intake runner system that maintains intake flow velocities, there by enhancing the momentum effects of the intake charge pulse. The Varioram plenum / intake stacks have three modes, 2 plenums and has a 2 throttle plate progressive throttle body. It works along the same premise as a progrssive 2 BBL carburetor back in the "good 'ol days"...

To really appreciate the Vram, you have to want better midrange torque. From an overall max. power aspect, there is not much gain. However, the torque increase at 3800 RPM is almost 50 ft. lbs. of torque. If you think about how that effects the torque curve and how that torque would be valuable to the driver at the RPM, then the value of the Vram can be appreciated.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Old 04-30-2004, 04:34 PM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't it the Vram cars that suffer from carbon build up? Seems like a good reason not to convert for the very little extra bhp - but hey if it turns you on....

PJC
Old 04-30-2004, 05:43 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Kim:

I do not believe so since your engine started as a 3.6. We can check with Steve, but I am pretty sure your head castings are 3.6 ones.

What changes are the lower manifolds and the lower runners/rubber couplers. Given that you are running the black stock 95 system, this is why I am confident we will not have a port / manifold diameter issue with your setup...

Regards
Old 04-30-2004, 05:53 PM
speedster 94
Instructor

hallo
Heads are the same , valves are bigger on the Varioram ,both intake and exhaust .intakerunners and rubber are the same .
harald
Old 04-30-2004, 06:03 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

Kim, I think we're all aware of your issues!!! ;-)

Coleman.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:32 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hey Kim:

No worries mate, as your heads have been "massaged" and have other things done,...

Did 'em myself.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:07 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hey Kim:

No worries mate, as your heads have been "massaged" and have other things done,...

Did 'em myself.
No wonder Kim is so fast
Old 05-01-2004, 12:06 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Just upgrade the DME Chip to one from Steve and you will achieve similar midrange torque increase as provided by Variocam for about $500.00!

No Carbon Buildup warning light issues either.

Old 05-01-2004, 12:11 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why????

Do some archive searching; you'll see comments that difference between '95 and Varioram cars is pretty much negligible.

Find something more beneficial to throw your money away on (C4S brakes, maybe?)

Quick Reply: Varioram conversion??